General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

POOR LAW LETTER 1827

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 11 Oct 2009 12:43

Letter from [Mrs] H[annah] Francis, 20 Egremont Street, Brighton to Charles Arnett at the poorhouse, Winchelsea

I having wrote to you ever since the 19 November last and one since and have had no answer I know not whether it has come to hand or not but I suppose it has. If so I would be glad to know the determination of the gentlemen for it is out of my power to settle the rent. If they will send me £2 in part the landlord will wait till I can pay the remainder. If they will not render me this little I must send the two youngest children home and this is very hard after managing so long as I have and there is a person would have taken John before this had he been old enough. It is no encouragement for me to get them off your hands at all. There is children in this place nearly as big as mine and their friends receiving 1s 6d per head a week and their parents can send them to school and pay £1 1s quarterly and mine have hardly any learning at all. I must leave this for the gentlemen to consider on but I hope at the same time they will consider it is a very dull time in Brighton at the present. Please to direct as follows: to be left at Mrs Knight's in Essex Street, number 17