General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grants of Carriden, Bo'ness, Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diana

Diana Report 11 Mar 2009 13:42

Janet Hamilton born 24 August 1716:

I had previously noted the following re Janet Hamilton (from someone else's tree, I think, but can't remember now):

Janet Hamilton born 24 August 1716 in Bo'ness, parents James Hamilton & Grizell Muir.

HOWEVER when searching OPR records at the library, I came across the following "brother" of Janet:

James Hamilton Bo’ness OPR 663 “1717 – Hamilton – James Hamilton son to James Hamilton & Grizel Muir born April 11th & bap. 21st”

That means he was born around seven and a half months after she was! (Allowing a month for conception, that means he would have been at least three months premature.) Makes me doubt that James Hamilton & Grizel Muir were her parents.

I went back to the library to view the OPR for Bo'ness. The parents of Janet Hamilton born 24 August 1716 were William Hamilton & Jean Tulloch. This REMOVES James Hamilton & Grizel Muir from my tree!! as far as all you James Hamilton & Grizell Muir descendants are concerned, I’m the cuckoo in the nest! And so will all the other descendents of the above Janet Hamilton, assuming we've got the correct one!!

Cheers

Diana