Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Etiquette for Newbies - Closed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 20 Jan 2008 14:09

Hi All,

There’s a note of frustration creeping into these Boards.

It does appear at times that replies to requests for help are either not read or if they are, seldom acknowledged. This does annoy people who freely give their time to help, but never know if their assistance was of any benefit or not. Without a response people may continue to search even when you already have your answer. Should this be the case then they have wasted their time and efforts.

There’s a simple solution. If you post a request but have to get on with life as we all do, then just post a “Will be back”, “Back in the morning” or something similar on the thread.

If you wish to extend your thanks then a simple “Thank you….” as a last thread will also benefit everyone.

My personal belief is that part of the problem is the not knowing where you posted your question. It’s easy to find. If you start a thread and need to find it at a later date then look at the left hand side of the screen for the box with the Top Hat in it. Underneath you will find “Bookmark This”, “My Bookmarks” and “My Threads.”

Try them out. Select a message and click Bookmark This. Now go back to it using My Bookmark.

The above information is taken from a number of threads on this subject over the last few days.

Paul

Kate

Kate Report 20 Jan 2008 14:34

Good post, Paul. I wonder if there's a way we can "sticky" it so it stays at the top of the board where everyone can see it?

Patricia

Patricia Report 20 Jan 2008 19:37

Paul
thanks so much for this i am i admit guilty of doing this. when i first joined because although i had posted had no idea how to get back to find out if i had a reply. you just solved the problem for me and many others too no doubt.
i stopped posting and gave up because i couldnt see a way forward glad i popped back in to try again.
Pat Baker

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jan 2008 20:41

If only GR would offer some guidance to new members when they take their first subscription.........

It wouldn't require too much effort for them to advise people of the way the system works..........

Reg

Irenemac

Irenemac Report 20 Jan 2008 20:45

oops! I have been guilty just lately of doing just that. In future I will put a note to say I've had to go and when i expect to be back.

Irene
ps. I'm really greatfull for all the help I'm being given

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 20 Jan 2008 20:53

Hi All,
I though it probably was a problem with not knowing how to find your postings. I'll ask GR if they will pin this up for a few days (Stickies) to give others a chance to read.
Hope it was of help to you.
Bye
Paul

Penny

Penny Report 21 Jan 2008 05:44

Even if you post something like 'back tommorow' its a really good idea to just stick around for 5 mins - thats very often all it takes - In case someone raises a query against your request.
You may hold that vital bit of info which we cant see (or guess) which will bring you results

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Jan 2008 06:11

I have a modest proposal -- and I've just started a thread called just that. ;)

Newbies do not see all our sincere, helpful, frustrated, pleading posts. They don't see them. They never will.

What they would see is instructions/guidelines for posting that were smack in front of their faces when they clicked on "add topic" to start a new thread. Even if they don't know they're starting a new thread ...

The instructions couldn't say everything, but they could give the basics -- give the names and dates, how to check for replies, what to do when you get replies.

My other scathingly brilliant idea went nowhere -- the "Posting Tips" surname board under Trying to Find -- because it's just the same old thing. Locking the barn door after the horse is gone. No one will ever see it unless they're directed to it, and they'll only be directed to it if they're already screwing up.

I think this one is good. I hope a bunch of other people do too. If so, I will be happy to put it to management, hopefully with a bunch of names in the thread agreeing.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Jan 2008 07:04

Great idea

I hope GR will make it a sticky

sylvia

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 21 Jan 2008 08:27

Kathryn B
I'd go along with that suggestion.

Paul

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jan 2008 11:09

It moves the thread to the top of the board.........just as adding any form of reply will do

Reg

Justice of Peace

Justice of Peace Report 21 Jan 2008 12:08

Well I have been a newbie for 3 months now but reckon I am learning fast and furious.... thanks mainly to 'tips' board and dedicated members who go out of the way to guide us through what can be a mine field......

Believe it or not it was only this morning that the meaning of OH clicked....or I am assuming too much.. does it mean Other Half??.

Happy researching to everyone and may your efforts prove fruitful...........sadly mine have not....yet.....

JoyceP

Potty

Potty Report 21 Jan 2008 13:40

Please GR make this a sticky

Heather

Heather Report 21 Jan 2008 13:43

I had quite a stroppy pm yesterday from someone complaining that I had said they were not polite - I said I did many threads a day - and I had no recall of saying that to anyone.

Back he comes with a thread which I replied to in April 2006 !!LOL, that was an urgent request then.

His posting gave just a name and a date and nothing else. Personally considering how I certainly perceive that to be rude Id given quite decent help.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Jan 2008 18:46

Please, please take a look at my post

*revised* proposal - instructions for new posters

We whine and moan about these things constantly.

We post threads with tips for new posters.

NEW POSTERS DO NOT READ THESE THREADS.

That is because they don't SEE these threads.

They come to the boards with one thing in mind: to find whatever they are looking for, be it the father who abandoned them 40 years ago or the great-great-grandmother who disappeared from the censuses after 1851 or a fellow descendant of a puzzling ancestor.

They don't read GR's guidelines as they are instructed to do when they post, even. (Not that those guidelines are of any use for the problems we're talking about.)

If you say to a newbie: you have posted this message on three different boards and three different sets of people have now worked on it; s/he will say: WELL I'M NEW HERE AND I DIDN'T KNOW THAT AND HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT?

If you answer someone's post asking for details and you get a private message saying "she was my great-grandmother and she was born in 1851" and you write back saying "will you please put that info in your thread", s/he will say WHAT'S A THREAD?

If you answer someone's post with everything they ever wanted to know about Uncle Ned, maybe, maybe, 2 months later you will get a reply saying I DIDN'T KNOW ANYBODY HAD ANSWERED MY MESSAGE.

People have to be told these things BEFORE they post.

People WILL NOT SEEK OUT this information before they post.

The only way to get this information to them is to put it in front of their faces WHEN THEY POST.

Yes, yes -- even then -- horse, water, drink. There will be those who won't read what's in front of their faces.

But then it will be their own fault if they don't get what they want.

Right now it ISN'T their fault. It's the fault of human nature and the completely inept way that the site is designed.

Many, many internet discussion boards have instructions that appear WHEN A PERSON WRITES A POST. Not somewhere else on the site, not in other threads written by helpful fellow members.

What could possibly be bad about the idea of putting some brief guidelines at the top of the page where a member is composing a post to start a new thread??

Kate

Kate Report 21 Jan 2008 18:55

To pick up on your later points there, Kathryn, I don't know if anybody on here is familiar with the Internet Movie Database website but I visit it quite often, and they have quite a good set-up.

Unlike on here, when you want to add a post to a thread, clicking "Reply" takes you to another page where you write your post. Directly above the box where you write your message are guidelines like - don't post chain letters etc.

Similarly on the same site, when you visit a film's page and want to submit a review, above the text box for your writing is advice about how you should indicate if your comment contains spoilers about the film, and that if you do include spoilers without warning you may have all further reviews ignored by the site.

But the key thing is, it's all directly above the text box - pretty much where "Add reply" is on this site, so it is there to be seen.

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 21 Jan 2008 19:14

Hi All,
To save confusion I think it's best to close this thread since there is another thread opened up on the subject.

Thread Title
*revised* proposal: instructions for new posters

If you wish to post a reply then please do on under that Thread.

Many thanks
Paul

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Jan 2008 19:23

But I wanna reply to Kate, Paul. ;)

"But the key thing is, it's all directly above the text box - pretty much where "Add reply" is on this site, so it is there to be seen."

Kate -- that is exactly what I am proposing. See the other thread!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Jan 2008 19:58

Here Here. Why not leave people to get on with things in their own way?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Jan 2008 20:10

Well hey, Peter, I guess if it was worth saying once, it's worth saying twice. Even if, in this context, it is as incoherent as it is misspelled.