Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

conflicting names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lexyloo

lexyloo Report 8 Jan 2008 18:56

can anyone help solve my problem. I have no older living relatives to ask crucial questions. I started with my Dad Arthur Warriner born Keighley 1926 to Arthur warriner and Nellie Warriner nee Brown. However when I requested the marriage certificate again from Keighley it stated Arthur married Ellen Brown and ther was no fathers name for Ellen I am really confused now and not sure how to solve who is who. there are no records stating that Arthurs mother was called Ellen or a marriage certificate for Nellie can anyone please advise me what to do next? Kind regards Linda

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Jan 2008 19:00

Nellie is a common nickname for anyone called Ellen.

Which one of them registered the birth of your dad? I wouldn't mind betting it was the father, who probably always knew his wife as Nellie and didn't think of using her proper name.

Kath. x

Joy

Joy Report 8 Jan 2008 19:01

When did they marry?

Quite often, an Ellen or Eleanor is called Nellie.

Susan

Susan Report 8 Jan 2008 19:03

I had an aunt named Ellen but she was called Nellie by everyone. I think it is the same person. Does it give an age on the marriage cert? I could look for an Ellen Brown birth if you have a rough idea of the date. Sue

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Jan 2008 19:05

Is this the marriage:-

Name: Arthur Warriner
Year of Registration: 1915
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Spouse's Surname: Brown
District: Keighley (1837-1946)
County: Yorkshire - West Riding
Volume: 9a
Page: 447

Spouse Ellen Brown.

Kath. x

Joy

Joy Report 8 Jan 2008 19:06

There are very few people with the surname Warriner in Keighley that I can see in the 1901 census

Name Parent or spouse names Birth Year Birthplace Relation Civil Parish County/Island

Arthur Warriner
Robert Eliza
abt 1895 Bradford, Yorkshire, England Son Keighley Yorkshire

Charlie Warriner
Robert Eliza
abt 1891 Bradford, Yorkshire, England Son Keighley Yorkshire

Eliza Warriner
Robert
abt 1860 Keighley, Yorkshire, England Wife Keighley Yorkshire

Elizabeth Warriner abt 1873 Ingleton, Yorkshire, England Servant Keighley Yorkshire

James H Warriner
Robert Eliza
abt 1882 Bradford, Yorkshire, England Son Keighley Yorkshire

Lily Warriner
Robert Eliza
abt 1884 Bradford, Yorkshire, England Daughter Keighley Yorkshire

Robert Warriner
Eliza
abt 1859 Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England Head Keighley Yorkshire

Robert Warriner
Robert Eliza
abt 1888 Bradford, Yorkshire, England Son Keighley Yorkshire

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Jan 2008 19:08

There is this birth in Keighley at around the right time for someone marrying in 1915. You could state that there should be no father's name on the certificate as a checking point:-

Name: Ellen Brown
Year of Registration: 1894
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Keighley (1837-1946)
County: Yorkshire - West Riding
Volume: 9a
Page: 169

Of course this may not be her as she may not have been born in Keighley.

Kath. x

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 8 Jan 2008 19:09

Hello Lexyloo,
It does look as though you have the correct certificate. As said above, Nellie = Ellen so I would not be that concerned.
Father name missing. Perhaps Ellen never knew her father for numerous reasons.
I kept getting one chap changing his name from Edwin to Edward as the mood suited him.
Go for it.
Paul

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 8 Jan 2008 19:11

I have two Ellens in my family and both of them were known as Nell or Nellie.
It is indeed the normal pet name version.

Do you have the death certificates of your grandparents which might give you an idea of their ages at death and therefore rough dates of birth?

This I presume is the right marriage.
Marriages Sep 1915
Warriner Arthur Brown Keighley 9a 447

Sue

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Jan 2008 19:13

If the census record that Joy found is the right family, then this looks like Arthur Warriner's birth reference:-

Name: Arthur Warriner
Year of Registration: 1894
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Bradford
County: Yorkshire - West Riding, West Yorkshire
Volume: 9b
Page: 60

Kath. x

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 8 Jan 2008 19:18

I just had a look at the 1901 census decoder. There are a lot of Ellen Browns in 1901 but a more manageable number of Arthur Warriners. I wonder if any of these have occupations which look familiar.

View Name Age Where born Administrative county Civil parish Occupation
Arthur J Warriner 4 Yorks Felliscliffe Yorks Swillington
Arthur Warriner 6 Yorks Bradford Yorkshire Keighley
Arthur Warriner 6 Yorkshire Crambe York Ledsham
Arthur E Warriner 15 Lancs Liverpool West Derby Commercial Clerk
Arthur E Warriner 21 Derby Derby Birmingham Aston Iron Turner
Arthur Warriner 23 Lancs Liverpool Lancaster West Derby Assistant Dairyman
Arthur B Warriner 24 Yorks Huddersfield Yorks West Riding Brighouse Iron Moulder
Arthur Warriner 25 Lancs Longsight Oldham Lancaster Oldham General Labourer
Arthur Warriner 25 Yorks Sheffield Yorkshire Ecclesall Bierlow Builders Carter

What did your grandfather do?

Sue

Joy

Joy Report 8 Jan 2008 19:23

There you go - you can send for their marriage certificate, and then for Arthur's birth certificate .. :-)

lexyloo

lexyloo Report 9 Jan 2008 18:57

yes it is and thank you so much for your reply can you help many thanks linda

lexyloo

lexyloo Report 9 Jan 2008 18:59

I Have them both marriage says Ellen birth cert says Nellie many thanks for your reply

lexyloo

lexyloo Report 9 Jan 2008 19:00

sue thank you for that he was the one born in Bradford age 6 at cencus I was just curious to trace his wifes family but seem to be struggeling kind regards Linda

lexyloo

lexyloo Report 9 Jan 2008 19:04

joy thank you fro yur response this is the right tree and I have managed to take the warriner side back to 1812 but I wanted to find out about my grandmothers side kinfd regards Linda

lexyloo

lexyloo Report 9 Jan 2008 19:10

unfortunately I did not know my grandparents so I have no idea when they died or where I cant ask my mum or dad as they have bothe passed. but I intend to continue with my quest and I personally thank each and every one of you for assisting me its reassuring that there are some lovely people left in the world. Once again many thanks kind regards Linda

Victoria

Victoria Report 9 Jan 2008 19:39

Lexyloo,

Do you know if they died before you were born? This might help narrow the timeframe.

BW

Jane

Victoria

Victoria Report 9 Jan 2008 21:59

Hi Lexyloo,

I have checked 1970-75 for ellen(Nellie) and Arthur.

I did find this 1 possibility

1974 2nd quarter, Arthur William Warriner, York dob 21/11/1894 Vol 2 page 2809.

This could be him as whoever registered him would do it by what he/she known him by.

There is another one for 1974 4th quarter, Arthur Warriner, in Rydale dob 01/09/1905 Vol 2 page 2455

BW

Jane

lexyloo

lexyloo Report 9 Jan 2008 22:29

thanks Jane but Arthur was born in 1894 in Bradford in 1894 I dont know if they died before I was born as my parents were estranged many thanks I appreciate your help Linda