Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

previously births and deaths etc - struggling to g

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura

Laura Report 29 Dec 2007 17:49

My grandpa was born in 1923, one of 5 children.
We always knew from him that a baby 'Jack' was born and died young. I've found this - John Weekes bJul1924 Redruth. His death is also Jul1924 Redruth.
However, I've also found a birth for an Alfred T Weekes in 1912, registered only the quarter before my great aunt, who we always believed to be the eldest. His mother's maiden name is Williams, and I cannot find any other marriages around that time of a Williams/Weekes in the area. I have ordered the birth certificate so eagerly awaiting that, but was wondering if anyone could help me in the meantime.
I've trawled the deaths between 1912 and 1924 and can't find one for Alfred T Weekes in Redruth (also checked Weeks). Surely if he died later than that my grandpa/aunts and uncles would have mentioned him? Already I'm surprised the aunties didn't, unless something went wrong somewhere? I just hope I don't have to wait until the 1921 census to find out!!!!!!!!!! Argh, so frustrating! ANd intriguing!

My great grandparents only got married months before my great aunt was born, so am unsure whether it could be another child for them, but cannot fathom it otherwise, not being able to find a marriage for weeks/williams etc!

Hmmmm.... any ideas?
Thanks
Laura

Thelma

Thelma Report 29 Dec 2007 17:56

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Alfred Thomas Weekes
Name: Alfred Thomas Weekes
Arrival Date: 25 Sep 1929
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1912
Port of Departure: Southampton, England
Ethnicity/RaceĀ­/Nationality: English
Ship Name: Homeric
Search Ship Database: View the Homeric in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: England
Line: 10
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_4591
Birth Location: England
Birth Location Other: camborne
Page Number: 67

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 29 Dec 2007 17:58

Laura,

If this Alfred T Weeks was only registered in the quarter before your great Aunt , I don`t see how he could be a sibling, I believe that you have to register children within 6 weeks of their birth, {though if I am wrong on that i`m sure someone will let you know} allowing 9 months for a pregnancy it couldn`t possibly be their child could it?.

Nicky

Laura

Laura Report 29 Dec 2007 17:59

ooooh thanks Jim!
Now I just need to wait till I get the certificate so I definitely know whether he's theirs or not... be interesting if he is, as 1929 all my great uncles/aunts etc would have been born, wonder if they didn't want him to go and that's why they never spoke of him?

here's me getting all intrigued, he could still not be linked.... *deep breaths*

thanks again

Laura

Laura Report 29 Dec 2007 18:02

That's what I wondered at first Nicky, but I'm not sure it was within 6 weeks back then, I thought the time period was longer? Maybe they waited until they were married before registering him? I wish I wasn't so impatient, lol - should just wait till the cert comes through!

Thelma

Thelma Report 29 Dec 2007 18:07

Name Birth Date Death Date Last Residence

Alfred Weekes 18 Mar 1912 Nov1974 ??????

Laura

Laura Report 29 Dec 2007 18:13

Is that from US records Jim? Did he die out there?
Thanks

Thelma

Thelma Report 29 Dec 2007 18:17

marriage??
Alfred Weeks 1905 Oct-Nov-Dec Redruth (To 1974) Cornwall

Rhoda Williams 1905 Oct-Nov-Dec Redruth (To 1974) Cornwall

Thelma

Thelma Report 29 Dec 2007 18:19

Sorry ,yes USA social security index
but no extra information .

Laura

Laura Report 29 Dec 2007 18:20

ooooooooh ah, now why couldn't I find that? whoopse. never mind, possibly still connected further back... ta jim!

Thelma

Thelma Report 29 Dec 2007 18:25

1901??
Alfred Weekes Joseph,
Catherine abt 1883 Camborne, Cornwall, England Son Phillack Cornwall

Laura

Laura Report 29 Dec 2007 18:28

The brother of my great grandfather was Alfred Charles Weekes, and they were born around Camborne I think, but further back the Weekes' are causing me lots of problems as there are a few around but nothing seems to tie up! That could be them, will have a look on the census a bit later just to check what I already had...

Laura

Thelma

Thelma Report 29 Dec 2007 18:32

Alfred Meeks Joseph abt 1884 Camborne, Cornwall, England Son Camborne Cornwall

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 29 Dec 2007 18:37

1891 England Census
about Alfred C Weeks
Name: Alfred C Weeks
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Relation: Visitor
Where born: Camborne, Cornwall, England

Civil Parish: Camborne
Ecclesiastical parish: Treslothan St John
Town: Beacon
County/Island: Cornwall

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Redruth
Sub-registration district: Camborne
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Annie J Symons 9
Eliza E Symons 12
Ellen Symons 32
Thomas Symons 36
William T Symons 8/12
Alfred C Weeks 7

there are many Weeks in Camborne, didn`t know if you had this.

Laura

Laura Report 29 Dec 2007 18:55

Hi... I didn't have this one but this is useful as Joseph Weeks (father of Alfred C) first married Susan Symons before marrying Sarah Hocking, so they may be connected.

Have also found a marriage for Joseph Weeks and Catherine Jones - which would explain the 1901 census - this could be a third wife for him, meaning yes this is my ancestor etc - will keep you updated and thank you all for your help!

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 29 Dec 2007 22:27

Laura,

Glad you may have made a connection, when you get the cert. for Alfred Weeks could you post the outcome you never know the 2 Weeks/Williams marriages may turn out to be 2 brothers marrying 2 sisters.

Nicky

Laura

Laura Report 30 Dec 2007 15:16

I certainly will!
Also, I've been in touch with someone on GR who is connected to Alfred Weeks and Rhoda Williams (the other weeks/williams marriage) so we may be able to work the link out that way. They weren't two brothers and two sisters, but I'm pretty sure there's a link on the Weeks side (I think it's James Arthur's uncle Alfred- looking on the census info I can only find one Alfred Weeks/Wicks that fits)

Thanks again
Laura

Laura

Laura Report 30 Dec 2007 17:49

Right, well think I have found the family (or at least most of them) between 1861 and 1901. But 1851 is causing me problems. I'm pretty sure Joseph was born around 1843 in Gwinear area (going by census info) and his father was also called Joseph (think my cousin got this info from the marriage cert).

Here are the possibilities I've found so far...

Joseph Weeks b1796 Gwinear living with his wife Jane, children William and John (no Joseph!)

Joseph weeks b1834 St Gluvias son to Elizabeth.

Joseph H Weeks b1847 Probus, gson to Margaret Waks, mother Elizabeth Weeks, Ann Harris also present.

Joseph T S Weeks b1850 Tywardreath with parents Thomas and Elizabeth.

Looking at the Wicks version I found these...

Joseph b1806 Redruth, wife Mary Ann, children Joseph 1836 Redruth, Elizabeth Ann age2, James age14, Mary Jane age12, Richard age 10 and William Henry age 1. Mother in law - Mary Bands.

Joseph b1802 St Columb Major

Joseph b1839 Wendron - parents Nathaniel and Elizbeth.

Joseph Henry b1834 Tywardreath, brother, living with Alfred 13, Jane 15, Lydia 19 and Thomas Henry 25.

There's also 2 Joseph treweeks, 1 born 1839 Phillack, parents - Joseph and Grace, one b1843 Gwennap, parents Richard and Ann!

The only ones with Joseph as a father seem to be too far out maybe with the years! How am I going to work out which (if any) is him?

Thanks
Laura

Laura

Laura Report 30 Dec 2007 19:33

Hmmmm IGI has confused me even more!
There is this family though :

Joseph Wicks b1806 Redruth, married Mary Ann Bonds b1809 Redruth.
Ch 1) Joseph Wicks b1836 Redruth
2) James b1837 Redruth
3) Mary Jane 1839 Redruth
4) Richard b1840 Gwennap
5) William Henry 1844 Redruth
6) Elizabeth Ann 1849 Redruth

In 1881 most of the family are at Wheal Buller, Redruth

Joseph Wicks b1808 Stithians, mine engine driver bedridden
Mary Ann Wicks 66 Gwennap, Elizabeth A age 29 mine stamp worker (tin) and Charles H Weeks gson age 11 farm labourer.

But that would mean is dob is almost 10 years out?!

Laura

Laura Report 30 Dec 2007 19:43

argh feel like I'm going in circles now - this family can't be the right one as in the 1871 census Joseph Jnr is still with his parents age36, my joseph has already started his own family by then!