Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

E-mail picture attachment viewing problems!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 13 Dec 2007 15:26

I have been receiving e-mail with pictures attached but somehow I can't view the pictures, all I see is a square with a red cross in the top left hand side. Any idea why I can't view them. Other e-mails and attached pictures are ok just some like this.

Betty

Alistair

Alistair Report 13 Dec 2007 15:49

Is it an URL (a link to a website) or a file you are being sent? If it's a file, what kind is it (.JPG, .BMP, etc)

Alistair

Potty

Potty Report 13 Dec 2007 15:51

Is it something to do with your anti virus software?

I sometimes get this, and there is a message at the top (under where it says From....., To....., Subject) that says "some pictures have been blocked... Click here to download pictures"

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 13 Dec 2007 15:59

Hi Alistair and Potty,

It isn't an attachment to an e-mail these are just pictures within the e-mail if you know what I mean!!

Ah Potty it doesn't say some pictures have been blocked there is just a square where the picture should be and a red cross at the top left hand side.

I don't have any problem when there is an attachment, I can view the pictures then.

Betty

Potty

Potty Report 13 Dec 2007 16:09

Betty

Are you using IE7? If so, go into tools, Select Options, then the Security tab. There is a check box there under Download Images, if that is ticked, maybe that is the reason?

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 13 Dec 2007 16:18

Thanks for the info George, strange that, the same e-mail but the picture only showing on one of the e-mails and not the other.

Will be interesting to find out though.

Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 13 Dec 2007 16:20

Hi Potty,

I use Outlook Express for my e-mails. And I have Internet Explorer for website yes. Don't know if it IE7 though.

Betty

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 13 Dec 2007 16:21

Betty, have you tried right clicking on the box and selecting view image from there? It sometimes works, but not every time.

To find out which version of IE you have, click on help on the top of the browser, then about Internet Explorer and it will say which version you have.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 13 Dec 2007 16:23

Hi Keith,

Yes I have tried that but nothing happens. Picture still wont open.

Betty

Potty

Potty Report 13 Dec 2007 16:23

Sorry Betty, I meant Outlook Express not IE7 - senior moment!!

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 13 Dec 2007 16:29

Hi Keith,

I had an update from MSN this morning and somehow it is now trying or already has changed my
Internet Explorer webpage to MSN and I don't like it at all. I didn't know it would do that it just said download update for MSN chat. Don't like MSN as my home page prefer Internet Explorer, what have I done eeeeeeeeeeeeee

Betty

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 13 Dec 2007 16:44

Betty to change your homepage, go to the site you want as homepage, then click on tools at the top, then internet options, then click on the general tab, homepage, use current.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 13 Dec 2007 16:49

Hi Keith,

Thanks will give that a try, will take a few minutes, off to try that, thank you!! Oh I have so many things wrong with this computer, don't think I will every get everything sorted.

Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 13 Dec 2007 16:57

Hi Keith,

Went into Internet Explorer website as you suggested it just has download of IE6 or IE7. Should I download it and if so which is best, IE6 or IE7, I have Windows XP.

Betty
added later Microsoft have dowload for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 13 Dec 2007 17:09

Hi Keith,

It didn't work it keeps coming back to MSN although I do see Internet Explorer there but when I click on General tab it goes back to MSN again. Tried 3 times to change it and it looks like it will change but the reverts back to MSN.

Betty

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 13 Dec 2007 17:11

Betty, have you actually changed your one open page to the site that you want as homepage before trying it? There must be only one page open, otherwise it wont work.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 13 Dec 2007 17:19

Hi Keith,

Sorry about this if I am not telling you the correct info, here goes.

I go into my Internet homepage which has now changed to MSN, clicked on tools then Internet options, then general tab, and it say in the box http// go.microsft,com.
then when I click make this my homepage use current,it just goes back to MSN homepage.

Betty

Thelma

Thelma Report 13 Dec 2007 18:56

I have Google as my homepage
So with Google on screen
tools
internet options
general
use current
Now the most important
APPLY

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 13 Dec 2007 18:59

Jim forgot that, until you change it it is blank.

Alan

Alan Report 13 Dec 2007 20:06

If you are not seeing this images then perhaps you have blocked them. In Outlook Express in the actual email trying clicking 'View' and then 'Blocked images'.