Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I trace this further? am I related to jemim

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julian

Julian Report 8 Nov 2007 01:38

i am trying to find any in,formation on sampson gilmore born 1800 or 1801..all i have is census entries 1841,1851, 1861.born in kenton staffordshire but was living in pembrokeshire fishguard 1851 as a general dealer(shopkeeper I think that means).any links to his parentage or wider relatives much appreciated .he is my great,great,great grandfather.his wife born circa 1813 was eliza or elizabeth gilmore maiden name not known but she was born pembrokeshireand i believe fishguard area.Dont know reason for his or if they did his family,s move to wales or exactly when but by 1841 he was here.my family believe there may be a link to jemima nicholas here of welsh folklore either via him or his wifes line .I know desite born in staffs he and wife living in main street fishguard 1851 which by coincidence is same street jemima nicholas (BORN 1750 TO 1755 DIED1832) was reputed to have cobbler trade in say twenty or forty years earlier.I suspect if is a link will be through his wife but dont know her maiden surname .They also named one of their daughters jemima which for that part of world is apparently very uncommon name at that time.all prob coincidence but can anyone help at all.idont know how to find out more or go back further.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Nov 2007 02:07

There are 2 Sam(p)son Gilmore marriages:

25/05/1823 to Mary Griffiths in Prendergast
16/04/1833 to Eliza Morgan in Fishguard

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Nov 2007 02:09

The title of your message got truncated. What was the last part supposed to say?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Nov 2007 02:11

IGI:

SAMSON GILMORE
Christening: 13 JUN 1800 Kington, Hereford,
Parents:
Father: JAMES GILMORE
Mother: ELISABETH

Rose

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 8 Nov 2007 06:47

Is this who you mean?

"Jemima Nicholas did exist ....
Proof that the Last Invasion of Britain's local heroine Jemima Nicholas did exist appears to have been found at the Records Office in Haverfordwest by a local college lecturer seeking his family's history.

The records of Mathry Parish Registry show that a Jemima Nicholas had been baptised in the village on 2nd March 1755 making her 41 years of age at the time of the Invasion in February 1797. Contemporary accounts of her age at the time recorded that she was 47.

The baptism record gives her parents as William and Elinor Nicholas from Llanrhian; they also had a son, Isaac, who was baptised two years later at Llanrhian.

A cobbler, or shoemaker, by trade she lived in Main Street, Fishguard and was buried at St Mary's Church near her home 16th July 1832. A memorial gravestone was erected in the churchyard in 1897 to commemorate the centenary of the Invasion.

There is strong evidence that the French were deceived by the appearance in the neighbourhood of large numbers of local womenfolk wearing the traditional dress of red shawls and black hats, which at a distance resembled infantry uniforms. It is certain that inhabitants over a wide area were flocking towards Fishguard to attack the enemy. The formidable local cobbler, Jemima Nicholas, captured a dozen demoralised French soldiers and secured them in St. Mary's Church."

One assumes from this excerpt that Jemima never married so if you are related it would have to be through Isaac.

Ozi.

Annette

Annette Report 8 Nov 2007 11:14

In the November issue of 'Who do you think you are' magazine there is a full page article about Jemima Nicholas.
Colin Thomas is one of her descendants and has been doing his family research for 25years.
It does mention in the article that Jemima never married but had illegitimate offspring who took her name. One of her grandchildren, Eliza Nicholas married Stephen Thomas in 1854.
Jemima was baptised in the parish of Mathyr on 2nd March 1755. Maybe one of her offspring has the link your looking for?
Hope this helps

Annette

Julian

Julian Report 8 Nov 2007 22:15

Thank you all for your help.Eliza morgan looks very positive as maiden name.Yes this is precisely the jemima I am lokking to see if i have conection with .what is easiest way (if there is one ) to trace back eliza parentage etc.I am new to this and am already amazed how kind and helpful people are

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 8 Nov 2007 22:33

Family legends often have a grain of truth & just living near Jemima Nicholas may have got distorted to being related. Also she would have been a local celebrity so it wouldn't be surprising to see a few Jemimas in Fishguard around that time.

CLDS has some parish records for Fishguard but they're not online at the moment. You'd have to borrow it through one of their Family History Centres:-.

Parish register printouts of Fishguard, Pembroke, Wales (Calvinistic Methodist Church, Towerhill Street) ; christenings, 1811-1837

Ozi.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 8 Nov 2007 22:39

If you google Jemima Nicholas you get quite a bit of info on her. A little bit mixed up at times but interesting reading. I never knew anything about the 'French Invasion" before.

Ozi.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 8 Nov 2007 22:50

Did you notice that in 1861 the Gilmores are living at the same address as a John & Jemima Morgan?

Ozi.

Julian

Julian Report 8 Nov 2007 23:37

No I hadnt noticed that ,well spotted.but this isnt the same jemima as the dughter i mentioned .she is 3 on 1851 census but disappeared off by 1861 census.this jemima morgan is far too old to be her.the adress given is just the street but i suspect i know the house number for my relations as the family contiued living there until approximately 1960s when street was demolished for a road. Excuse my ignorance but what is CLDS i am new to all this relatively speaking

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 8 Nov 2007 23:47

CLDS is the Church of the Later Day Saints (Mormons). Check the sticky at the top of the board for more info.
A sticky is a thread that is stuck at the top so it never moves down the board.

Julian

Julian Report 9 Nov 2007 00:01

Thank you for that Claire.Excuse my ignorance

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 9 Nov 2007 00:05

Julian when I first found the LDS site I dismissed it as a load of letters & numbers. It took me 3 MONTHS to discover that it contained any sort of info!

Julian

Julian Report 9 Nov 2007 00:33

Claire what is the web address for that site.thanks julian

Julian

Julian Report 9 Nov 2007 01:07

goodnight all .thanks for some very useful info and help .thanks again .if anyone does know anything about this poss link or the wider family please let me know .thanks julian

Julian

Julian Report 9 Nov 2007 20:26

Does anyone have any contact details for this Colin Thomas that has traced a family connection to jemima?

Julian

Julian Report 9 Nov 2007 23:50

marriage to eliza morgan looks very positive 1833 16041833 in fishgurd how do i find out more e.g which parish etc and how do i trace her back from this

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 10 Nov 2007 02:10

In reply to the Jemima Morgan query. No, I didn't expect it to be the relative you knew but possibly a connection. You never ignore information such as similar names living close by. Put it on the back-burner; follow it if you can. It just may lead you to the info you want.

As for following back further than 1837 you have to go to parish records. If they are not online or available through CLDS, you'll probably have to access through county archives.

Ozi.

Julian

Julian Report 10 Nov 2007 22:00

Thank you for that.Ozi and the list of names etc you sent me ..i will trace them throgh at some point but first I will try to finf what i can about eliza morgan as she is the most definite link at present to my line be they reated to jemima or not .i believe she is the same eliza who married sampson and later named one of their daughters jemima .also they lived in fisguard same street possibly as jemia had done previously.eliza was from fisguerd born 1812 or 1813 so her line is the most likely link at present.thank you for your kind help though.you are a star!