Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

tracing common names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 22 Oct 2007 11:47

I have been trying to find where my Robert Proctor came from. He married Harriett Griggs in 1889 and they are then on the census with children. However I am unable to trace back his family. Robert Proctor seems to be a fairly common name and so all the hot matches I contact are not the same as mine. I have his marriage cert to Harriett hoping this would give me more info but all it tells me is that his fathers name was also Robert Proctor, and they were living in Bethnal green. If someone has a way of tracing these kinds of names back to census would you please enlighten me as I am stumped !!!
Thanks so much

Karen

Karen Report 22 Oct 2007 11:59

The Robert Proctor who married Harriett abt 1868. Don`t know about the father Robert, and his profession on the cert looks like Hawker ?????

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Oct 2007 12:10

Where were Robert and Harriett in 1891?
Is this them?

Name: Robert Proctor
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Harriet
Where born: Ohalford, Middlesex, England

Civil Parish: West Ham
Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch
Town: Stratford
County/Island: Essex

Street address:

Registration district: West Ham
Sub-registration district: Stratford
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Mary Blumor 20
Harriet Proctor 21
Robert Proctor 21

Who were the witnesses at their marriage.?

Gwyn

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 22 Oct 2007 12:10

It would be helpful if you could post the exact details of the census you have them on, so we can try and trace them.
The only one I can see is in 1891

Robert Proctor
Estimated birth year: abt 1870
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Harriet
Where born: Ohalford, Middlesex, England

Civil parish: West Ham
Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch
Town: Stratford

ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Household Members:
Name Age
Mary Blumor 20
Harriet Proctor 21
Robert Proctor 21

but it is the wrong age and area

If you post exactly where they are we can make sure we are looking for the correct man

Linda

Heather

Heather Report 22 Oct 2007 12:23

Havent we worked on this one before - it sounds very familiar? Didnt we decide Roberts birth place was actually Stratford, Essex? Though the enumerator has put some weird name, Middx on the 1891 he is shown as Stratford on 1901.

What was the fathers occupation - ah, hawker.

Heather

Heather Report 22 Oct 2007 12:33

Yes I thought we decided that before. Well, he doesnt seem to come up on the 1881 so Im wondering if dad died sometime between the birth and the 1881 and Robert is somewhere under a step fathers surname on the 1881?

Or he is telling porkies about his age? Or he made up dads name? Or he was using a different name. In fact very few Robert Proctors turn up in the London area.

Heather

Heather Report 22 Oct 2007 12:42

1901 For reference, he is now a general labourer and a visitor with the Wood family: blimey, that house must have been crowded!

Name: Rober Proctor
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
Relation: Visitor
Where born: Stratford, Essex, England

Civil Parish: West Ham
Ecclesiastical parish: Stratford Marsh Christchurch

ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Household schedule number: 102
Household Members: Name Age
Eliza Ann Proctor 8
Harriet M Proctor 29
Harriet M Proctor 6
Rober Proctor 31
Robert Proctor 1
Sylvia A Proctor 3
Albert E Wood 2
Ann S Wood 7
Caroline L Wood 5
George Wood 45
John Wood 15
Mary E Wood 17
Stephen A Wood 10
Sylvia A Wood 48

Heather

Heather Report 22 Oct 2007 12:57

Have you tried a blanket search for him just as Robert with the rest of the known details for the 1881? I wonder who the Wood family are to him? Worth checking out where they are in earlier census?
I think I mentioned before on ancestry trees there appears to be a tree with him?

Karen

Karen Report 22 Oct 2007 13:12

The 1901 census with kids Robert and Sylvia is defo them. I`m not sure about the 1891 census with the visitor Blumor. I`ve asked my nan about the name Blumor but she had never heard of it, also there aren`t many Blumor on record. The reference about the dad being dead wouldn`t that have said father deceased on the marriage cert in1889 ?????

Karen

Karen Report 22 Oct 2007 13:13

Heather, sorry what was the tree you mentioned ? I don`t remember you telling me about that !

Karen

Karen Report 22 Oct 2007 13:16

On the marriage cert it says Bethnal green. most of my family come from East london area, and they all seem to be under different areas, ie bethnal green one minute west ham next, and onto stratford

Karen

Karen Report 22 Oct 2007 13:17

their witnesses were

Charlie and Sarah Ann chamberlain

Heather

Heather Report 22 Oct 2007 13:33

Hi sorry, up to my eyes in "proper" work here, so just popping in and out to various sites.

Re the dad - nope, if he were dead, not necessarily mentioned as such on the cert - Im sure often the clerk said Fathers name and occupation? And the people replied accordingly, not mentioning he was no longer alive - I have a few like that.

You have ancestry dont you? If you go to a search then put in his details and click on the trees tab at the top of the search box. The tree which looks like he is on is private so you will have to contact the owner for more info (if they have any!)."The Head Family" tree

imp

imp Report 22 Oct 2007 13:59

I had a little follow up on the Woods and Sylvia A is down as Tilly on one census and there is a George Woods married a Sylvy Ann Tille so could not tie it into the Proctor name.

Gail. x

Karen

Karen Report 22 Oct 2007 14:40

Heather,

Thanks for the tree info. The head family is my family and although we are not in contact after the connecting relative ( my gt aunt) died I have been contact about another part of my tree, so I`ll check it out. Thanks so much. x

Heather

Heather Report 22 Oct 2007 15:58

Im back quickly - LOL

Blow, I was just thinking that Mary who is with them in 1891 could be a lead but I was going on the premise that you said she is shown as an in law - in fact she is just a border.

Karen

Karen Report 22 Oct 2007 16:15

Just to add to the confusion. I found a Robert Proctor on genes on 1871 census from poplar aged 2. As I don`t do Genes look ups I went over to Ancestry and found nothing SOOOOOO. I am now tracing a family through the census with a Robert Proctor born 1811 born Rotherhithe married to Mary ann and they end up living poplar way. But just my luck so far they have 2 sons called Robert 1, born 1835 in Rotherhithe and 1, born 1857. So 1 of them might be my Roberts dad but which one ???????????

Karen

Karen Report 22 Oct 2007 16:21

Heather,

just looked up the census with Mary Blumor. If you check out her relation to head it says " brother in Law"

I knew I had seen it somewhere