Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Surrey parish registers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 29 Sep 2007 20:07

Having bought 2 volumes of the above on CD I have been disappointed to not find any of my ancestors on them. Can I ask if anyone knows whether Richmond, East Sheen and Mortlake would be in another county area in the years of the records pre 1820 please. (I wondered if the boundaries of the county had been moved) Thanks
Di

Kay????

Kay???? Report 29 Sep 2007 20:14

Mortlake&East Sheen came under Middlesex,,,,,,,maybe the West Middlesex F H Soc and be of help on this one,,they have website,,,

,Fulham Archives also carry lots Parish Registers,,,,,,,,,

there was a boundry change in 1946,,,
rellie is buried at north sheen and it gives middlesex on d/c

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 29 Sep 2007 20:17

Kay
Thank you I'll look at their websites.
Di

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 29 Sep 2007 21:04

My God
Where do I start!! Each site I look at for Middlesex or Fulham give me another link to follow.
I think I'll give up tonight and look again with fresh eyes tomorrow. lol
Di

Julie

Julie Report 29 Sep 2007 21:58

Hi Di

Richmond, East Sheen and Mortlake all comes under Surrey,but also look under Ham and Fulham would of been Middlesex.

Julie

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Sep 2007 22:39

I have the Surrey pre-1837 marriage index if that helps.

Rose

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 30 Sep 2007 13:39

Julie
Thank you for replying. apologies for not replying sooner. When you say Ham and Fulham where exactly. Is it the records office or FHS or where please? I was getting so lost last night looking for this.

Portland Rose.
Thank you. I have Vol 1 and 3 of the Surrey registers. I am assuming you have something different though as I can't find any Stanfords at all on either discs. I am looking for Richard Stanford marriage to Susannah in Richmond area. She is his 2nd wife. He married Elizabeth Wilson in 1798 Richmond and she must have died as Susannahs will 1837 states the children are her late husbands.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Di

Julie

Julie Report 30 Sep 2007 14:03

Sorry Di

Ham and Richmond are right next to each other, so maybe some parts of Richmond came under it.

Here the Address for Hammersmith & Fulham Archives that Kay was talking about

Office: 020 8741 5159
Fax: 020 8741 4882
Email address: [email protected]

Address: Ground Floor
The Lilla Huset
191 Talgarth Road
Hammersmith
W6 8BJ

Directions: Hammersmith Tube
Accessibility: Full disabled access

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 30 Sep 2007 14:12

Julie
Many thanks. Hope I didn't sound too rude but my geog isn't what it used to be and I hitting a brick wall with the parish records.
Thanks agin
Di

Julie

Julie Report 30 Sep 2007 14:40

No Di

I had forgot you had told me where you were lol, and it's easier for me cos i know these areas

Julie x

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 30 Sep 2007 15:05

Julie
Wondered if you were the same Julie but now I know. lol
Thanks again
Di

Eloise

Eloise Report 30 Sep 2007 15:44

Have you tried searching through the map providers. I normally go through www.streetmap.co.uk. You type in the place, and it shows you the county afterwards. I've encountered a few problems though, like you.

My family are from Kingston, which has been recorded as London, Middlesex and Surrey!

And when I was looking up Barrow-in-Furness, some websites told me it was Lancashire, and others said it was Cumbria. It's a bit hit and miss...

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 30 Sep 2007 18:36

I have a Richard Stanford marrying Ann Everett in Richmond in 13/07/1826.

Says he was Botp and she was Sotp. Otp means of the parish. Not sure was the first letters stand for.

Might be bachelor and spinster. If so, it can't be your Richard.

Rose

Julie

Julie Report 1 Oct 2007 09:54

Hi Di

Could i be really cheeky and ask if you wouldn't mind seeing if a couple of mine are on your disc, i'd be looking in the Coulsdon area

Julie

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 1 Oct 2007 18:59

Portland Rose
Hi and thanks for looking for me. The Richard and Ann are my relatives but it is Richard's father I am looking for. He is Richard too and was b approx 1767 and married Elizabeth and then a Susannah. He had several children with Elizabeth but then she must have died and then he married Susannah..
Thank you for confirming the marriage of Richard and Ann though I do appreciate it.
Di

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 1 Oct 2007 19:00

Julie sorry but only just in from work and read my threads.
Let me have the names and I'll certainly look for you. I'm working again tomorrow so may not respond to you before wednesday afternoon.
Di

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 1 Oct 2007 19:02

Eliose
What a really nice name. Thank you for the tip. I'll try streetmap. I think I've hit the brick wall that everyone mentions. lol
Di

Julie

Julie Report 1 Oct 2007 19:18

Di...Your a star, and theres no rush.

Im after the births if their on there

Mary Boulton b abt 1743 Coulsden.
Henry Weller b abt 1739 Coulsden.

They marriage abt 1784 which i got off the IGI.

If you find them and i don't get straight back to you im off looking at secondary schools for my son on Weds & Thurs

Julie

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 1 Oct 2007 20:17

Hi Julie
I have checked the 2 CD's Vol 1 and 3 of S & N Genealogy and there are no entries for either Boulton or Weller. On the sleeve of the CD's is a photo of the church at Coulsdon but no info I'm afraid. The CD's do appear to have lots of entries but none for you or I (sods law). It states Surrey parish records on both Cd's but I can't see on the index any parishes other than Richmond!!! This is the parish I want but no Stanford's either.
Di

Julie

Julie Report 1 Oct 2007 20:40

Hi Di

Thanks for looking, i did laugh thou. Talk about a dangled carrot

Julie