Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Handwriting Help Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Al

Al Report 21 Sep 2007 14:19

Hi all,

I recently asked for handwriting help here, and a couple of members were able to help me with something I'd been stuck on for a while very quickly. I was therfore hoping (if it is not too cheeky!) if I could ask for help on the same issue again.

I am having trouble reading 3 things on the following 1911 Census sheet:
http://www.lewishamchildren.org.uk/Scan.jpg

[1] Doris ? ? - I can't work out what this French Canadian lady's middle or surname is.

[2] *Solved by Sue - Thank you!*

[3] May ? - I cannot work out the surname of this lady born in Glasgow Scotland. It looks something like 'Linilte' to me, but I can't find no surnames like this. My husband said 'Smithe' maybe, but I can't find a May Smithe born in the right place/time either.

I can read everything else on the document fine.

Many thanks for any suggestions anyone can offer.

Al

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 21 Sep 2007 14:23

The first one looks like it could be Doris Neve Bonheur. Not 100% positive, though.

MellieMob

MellieMob Report 21 Sep 2007 14:26

doris cant help but lily is RESIDENT OF KATTON PORTSMOUTH

Al

Al Report 21 Sep 2007 14:29

Thanks Athena and Mellie.

Regards Lily. I pretty sure the Resident part applies to Doris above her, and this was something written where the person was born outside of Britain. Katton was how I read things too, but I can't find a place called Katton or similar anywhere near Portsmouth.

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 21 Sep 2007 14:31

Which Portsmouth are they talking about, though? Portsmouth UK or Portsmouth Canada or elsewhere?

Athena

Al

Al Report 21 Sep 2007 14:33

I think it has to be Portsmouth UK. If someone was born outside of UK they filled out the Nationality column also and wrote whether they were resident or not.

Sue

Sue Report 21 Sep 2007 14:34

Al, had a look. Agree its very difficult to work out. I think its Doris Irene Boshews. Lily born Fratton, Portsmouth and May Smith. But could be totally wrong! Good luck, Sue

Al

Al Report 21 Sep 2007 14:34

I don't suppose anyone knows if there a Canadian BMD or similar where I could search births, to see if I can find anything like Doris Neve Bonheur. The fact I can't check these names doesn't make life easy!

Al

Al Report 21 Sep 2007 14:36

Thanks Sue. I think you may have solved the Portsmouth mystery. I wasn't thinking F, but since you said it I looked at where it says "...Care of Friendless Girls" elswhere on the document and the F there does look similar.

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 21 Sep 2007 14:39

I think Sue has better eyes than me - the middle name of "Irene" looks more the ticket than "Neve" - well done.

Al

Al Report 21 Sep 2007 14:42

Yes I agree Sue has good eyes. I was thinking the middle name looked like Kesie previously, which obviously can't be right, so it is great to have some better suggestions!

Sue

Sue Report 21 Sep 2007 14:43

Al, can I ask how you have managed to see a 1911 census? Sue

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 21 Sep 2007 14:45

I can't get back into the scanned page but just been pondering over the surname for Doris - could Bonheur actually be Bonham? That's a much more recognisable surname - do you want to have a check and see if that's what it could be?

Aha - having said that I've just Googled Bonheur and surprise surprise it IS an actual surname! So could be either.

Al

Al Report 21 Sep 2007 14:46

Hi Sue,

I'm afraid I had to pay for it, about £45 I think, from the National Archives under Freedom of Information. I've only ordered a few due to the very high cost, but this one is important to me as I'm very keenly interested in the Lewisham and Lee Association for Care of Friendless Girls and there is very little info about this organisation around.

Al

Al

Al Report 21 Sep 2007 14:47

Hi Athena,

Docement is still there. Don't know why you couldn't get it, maybe try again? I am just trying to check out all these suggestions now.

Thanks

Al

Sue

Sue Report 21 Sep 2007 14:48

Thanks Al, I was curious, didn't know you could do that. This hobby can get very expensive can't it!! Sue

Al

Al Report 21 Sep 2007 14:52

You can only do it since January and you can only do it by address (not name). It is very expensive but I couldn't resist in this case!

Al

Al Report 21 Sep 2007 15:07

Haven't had much luck finding possible Doris' yet.

Also, even though I'm sure Sue is right it says Fratton for Lily, there are actually no births of a Lily Steward that match up or previous census records that fit!

MellieMob

MellieMob Report 21 Sep 2007 15:30

just googled fratton

Fratton, Portsmouth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaFratton is a residential and formerly industrial area of Portsmouth, Hampshire. It consists of mostly Victorian terraced houses, and is typical of the ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fratton,_Portsmouth - 22k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Al

Al Report 21 Sep 2007 15:39

Thanks Mellie.

I'm looking for a Doris Irene B..... from Canada currently, but not having much luck as yet!