Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have our GR Helpers deserted us?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 15 Sep 2007 21:29

I've noticed lately a distinct lact of people on GR, have they gone to another site? If you know where, please tell us!!!

dawn- julie

dawn- julie Report 15 Sep 2007 21:53

I think youre right Linda...I have been with Genes for years must be over 7 now...but theyre meddling so much and peoples trees are all over the place!...plus the fact that they are messing with the subscriptions too...not a problem for me as I am 12 monthly (due in Dec).

It doesnt help though when they keep the two at the top continually...I have made many friends on here both family and non family but in the last 12 months it has changed dramatically

Unfortunately I cannot help you with Ireland and I do know a couple of sites that might help you.

I dare not state them on here or I will be ex-communicated

I await my fate..my tree will probably disappear

take care and chin up

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 15 Sep 2007 21:59

some have moved over to Family tree forum, run by some old members of GR

http://www.genealogistsxgr.co.uk/

Roy

Linda

Linda Report 15 Sep 2007 22:02

No one in particular Lynne, just seems a general lack of people.
I don't like the Forum, perhaps it's just the fact I'm not used to it and not computer literate.

Janice

Janice Report 15 Sep 2007 22:07

Hi Linda,

I enjoy helping people when I can but I'm a teacher and so I'm not as free in term time :-(

Janice

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 15 Sep 2007 22:13

Isn't August September holiday time in England ? Perhaps a lot of regulars are away at the moment ?

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 15 Sep 2007 22:38

Please give GR a break.

One of the big whinges in the past (& I've been a member for a long time) is that newbies aren't given enough information. Now, when GR pin 2 (& only 2) very important threads to the top of the list everyone is complaining.

Like anything that has changed, you have to work with it for a while to gauge the improvements.

Ozi.

dawn- julie

dawn- julie Report 15 Sep 2007 22:50

Its not an improvement!!!.. Ozi..on the eft margin you can go into tips, records, trying to find etc......

All it means now with them being "stickied" is that the tips board is now three tier...and lots of people are going on there and reading the mounds of messages instead of helping people who are asking for help!!

If they wish to help Newbies and I have helped lots of people as I am on Ancestry and have access to records for free...they should have their own point in the margin and not on the tips board!!

Dont get me wrong....Genes has been wonderful over the years in my quest....but the meddling the last few months is infuriating!!

Dawn

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 15 Sep 2007 23:02

So thats why those two messages are always on the top?!

I thought no one was using the tips board! lol

Diddnt look down the page! Doh! silly me...

Mind you....I think GR have a cheek using those threads as they were originated from members!

Why cant GR make thier own 'learners guide to genealogy'?

Dont they know anything about Family research? I suspect not!

Gerri x

Lost for Words ;-)

Lost for Words ;-) Report 15 Sep 2007 23:20

you can please some of the people all of the time
all of the people some of the time
but none of the people all of the time.

So am I, some, all or none ;-)

I’ve learned –
That two people can look at exactly the same thing and see something completely different.

I’ve learned –
That no matter how thin you slice it there are always two sides.

I’ve learned –
That even when you think you have no more to give, when a friend cries out to you, you will find the strength to help.

I enjoy helping and don't mind answering the same questions. The problem I find with the 'stickied' threads is they are pages of nudges with some really useful information in between and I think it could be better presented. If we end up with more they will take over the first page and people will stop reading and helping others. It's because it changes so regularly that it keeps peoples interest and their are plenty of us *oldies* to point the newbies in the right direction.

dawn- julie

dawn- julie Report 15 Sep 2007 23:23

well said..Lost for Words......

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 15 Sep 2007 23:25

Christine I'm all in favour of stickies. How often have we been asked the B******' obvious by new members and how often can't you nudge the relevant info 'cos you've forgotton the thread title?

Having stickies is a solution though a seperate message board for information threads would be useful.

Lost for Words ;-)

Lost for Words ;-) Report 15 Sep 2007 23:39

This isn't personal Christine, I'm not getting at you, as you say it was Genes decision. The info in the threads is useful. but isn't that the whole point they don't need to be nudged, if you search for them and then bookmark them the thread is always there for them to return to and contributors can add/edit information as it changes. GR could quite easily add a GR recommended bookmarks link to the 'yellow box' on the left and then users, like your good self could submit all these fantastic hints and tips.

Lost for Words ;-)

Lost for Words ;-) Report 16 Sep 2007 00:02

Have done :-)

Lost for Words ;-)

Lost for Words ;-) Report 16 Sep 2007 00:07

Christine wrote:
yes I know its not personal, but having a Stickie or two was my suggestion, Lost. So I feel responsible for the current discord ... :(

Don't, we all have an opinion and are thankfully able to express it. But that's all it is, my opinion and as such it is neither right nor wrong.

I’ve learned –
That we don’t have to change friends if we understand that friends change.

Oh, should that be Genes ;-)

dawn- julie

dawn- julie Report 16 Sep 2007 00:12

We all know you have everyones best interests at heart Christine......we are all here for the same reason....our ancestors and helping others find theirs!!

Take care....

Lost for Words ;-)

Lost for Words ;-) Report 16 Sep 2007 00:18

Dawn wrote:
We all know you have everyones best interests at heart Christine......we are all here for the same reason....our ancestors and helping others find theirs!!

Ditto and goodnight ladies :-)

dawn- julie

dawn- julie Report 16 Sep 2007 00:29

goodnight and sweet dreams Lost and to Christine too!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 Sep 2007 10:08

I agree with Ozi - I wish that people would stop saying that GR are meddling all they time.

They are not - they are simply reacting more promptly to request from members for improvements. The site is now 100% improved on what it was a year ago, and most of this as a result of feedback from members.

PS I like the idea of stickies, and well done to Christine for persisting with her help threads.