Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is something wrong with the site??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 22 Aug 2007 13:12

Just got back from my hols and find that the GR site looks very strange and ugly. It is mpossible to navigate as the sidebar has moved and has lost most of its links. Also, the add message box has shot across to the far left of the screen. Is this a temporary glitch or is this a GR 'permanent improvement'?

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 22 Aug 2007 13:15

Well I have been on the new system for a few days.... Just gone to make a cuppa and am now back on the old system!!!!!!!!!!! Chris

Heather

Heather Report 22 Aug 2007 13:17

Hi, Ive come on and this apparently is the new improved version. Oh dear! Im having same probs as you, this box is hanging off the left hand side of the screen. It does look awful on here now, like an amateur has set it up.

~Twiglet~

~Twiglet~ Report 22 Aug 2007 13:18

Chris I think they just gave me your new system......... thought I'd gone to the twilight zone ...Only went to make a cuppa, wanna swop?!!!!!!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Aug 2007 13:19

GR are in the middle of testing this new format. Half of the members are still on the old format and half on the new. There are still some glitches to sort out (the reply message box falling off the left of the screen being one of them - it's been reported to GR). Overall I think I quite like the new format, but there are still things to sort out and some of us have lost some or all of our hot matches. I think it depends on whether your membership number is odd or even as to which format you are on. Kath. x

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 22 Aug 2007 13:21

Denise I'll swop....I had just got used to the new system and quite liked it. GR give me my new system back.......Please! LOL Chris

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Aug 2007 13:32

Kathleen, Are you certain that you have lost some of your Hotmatches? As mentioned previously there was an earlier fault in that some people were seeing the same connected member on more than one page, Ie Member Joe Blogs was on page one with 5 names , but appeared again on page three with 2 name. He now appears just once with 7 names. I have just checked my Hotmatches again and whilst the number of pages has halved, I don't appear to have lost any.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Aug 2007 13:41

I don't think so Peter. I didn't have any person in my hot matches more than once but whereas I did have 4 pages, I now have only 3. I can't really tell without getting back onto the old format - which I can't at the moment. Kath. x

William

William Report 22 Aug 2007 14:14

Yes Marlene same problem here,although it was working earlier on this morning. Regards William Russell Jones Cefn Mawr Wrexham.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Aug 2007 14:21

I've just had the new system inflicted on me.............why in the name of heaven can't they leave things alone? If only they would put right the problems which we tell them about, instead of playing around with the bits which are OK!! So juvenile.......... This new system is AWFUL Reg

SJR

SJR Report 22 Aug 2007 14:22

I cannot see My Tree Matches. Where are they on the new format? Sheila

SJR

SJR Report 22 Aug 2007 14:26

Thanks, had just spotted them. But can only access page one. I expect it will all sort it self out eventually Sheila

William

William Report 22 Aug 2007 14:47

Whilst you are waiting for the problems with the Site navigation to be sorted,if there is a particular Surnames Entries you wish to check,click on any Surname showing,and change it at the bottom to the one you want. Regards William Russell Jones Cefn Mawr Wrexham.

ladybird1300

ladybird1300 Report 22 Aug 2007 15:26

Everything seems to be here on the new layout, quite easy to navigate around. This add message box is a problem, I like to see every thing in front of me it's too far to the left, my eyes will be permanently looking that way soon!

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 22 Aug 2007 20:28

Oh dear, now my name has changed all by itself!! How do I change it to get rid of my birth name which I haven't used since the age of 9??

Huia

Huia Report 22 Aug 2007 20:49

They have 'improved' things again! Not sure if I like this one. There is a box below this one showing the number of characters remaining. Looks like we are restricted to 5000 characters in a posting. Not that I ever exceed that.
At least this box is now in the middle and we can refer to the postings above it.

Angela

Angela Report 22 Aug 2007 21:10

Don't like all the changes, just get use to one way then all change. I also can only get the first page of tree matches. Why all the adverts and flashes all of a sudden?

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 22 Aug 2007 21:51

I agree that the hotmatches is definitely improved. Strangely some of the names are a bit skew and come up along the lines of hot match's tree has John Smith, matched with Mary Brown in my tree. I don't understand how that happens!

Ozi, how did you solve the surname problem?

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 22 Aug 2007 22:08

well i dont like this new set up, cant seam to find anything what happened to search. seams like you may have to buy units now to view info

Moggie

Moggie Report 22 Aug 2007 22:32

Just adding to this thread to find out who I am. As has been suggested I have done an advanced search to find which threads I have instigated and which I have added to. I have looked in my current screen name, my previous one and my married name but it says there are no results.
Maureen

Well that seems to have answered my question. Having changed my screen name for privacy reasons my maiden name is open for all to see.
Thank you GR for yet another one of your c**k ups.
Why did I bother to renew my subscription today.
Maureen alais Moggie.