Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help, Can't Find a Marriage in Staffordshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 20 Aug 2007 20:08

I am trying to find the Page and Volume Numbers for the marriage of my grandfather Frederick Beard and Lillian Powell, I have the details, I have tried Free BMD, Ancestry and Find my past (1837), but have had no luck. These are the details that were past on to me :- married at St Martins, Tipton Staffordshire, on 17/6/1906. Fredericks first wife died in March 1905, the first child by Lillian was born 1907, so the date of the marrage would seem about right and the information came from my cousin, the son of the first child, (my aunt May). Frederick died 1926, Lillian remarried to Frederick W Taylor April 1929. I need the the details to be able to send for the marriage certificate. Thanks David

Joy

Joy Report 20 Aug 2007 20:41

Sorry, David - I searched, but could not find it. and I'd been hoping for some plum jam if I had found it! Perhaps you could send these details to the register office with a cheque for £7 saying if they cannot find it to return the cheque - generally speaking, register office staff are very good at doing this, in my experience.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 20 Aug 2007 20:54

I searched to ...but nothing!! Prehaps they didnt marry!? sorry

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Aug 2007 21:15

There's a Lily Powell marrying in the correct time and place: Marriages Jun 1906 Powell Lily Dudley 6c 133 Rose

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Aug 2007 21:17

No Beard on the page........... John Henry Downs 1906 Apr-May-Jun Dudley (To 1912) Staffordshire, Worcestershire Lillie Hadley 1906 Apr-May-Jun Dudley (To 1912) Staffordshire, Worcestershire Lily Powell 1906 Apr-May-Jun Dudley (To 1912) Staffordshire, Worcestershire Joseph Charles Simcox 1906 Apr-May-Jun Dudley (To 1912) Staffordshire, Worcestershire Reg

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Aug 2007 21:39

Tipton marriages are here: http://www.bmsgh.org/wmbmd/marriages.html No sign of the marriage. Rose

David

David Report 20 Aug 2007 21:59

Thankyou all for your help, i had wondered if they did'nt marry, but why was i given the exact dates? Perhaps I will try sending off £7 to the records office. Sorry Marion no info no jam Thanks anyway David

Joy

Joy Report 20 Aug 2007 22:06

There are 'odd' occasions when information doesn't reach the GRO from the register office - keeping my fingers crossed it is the case here! .. .. next time maybe plum jam, hope you are still making it ... :-)

David

David Report 20 Aug 2007 22:34

Marion Don't have a plum tree anymore, will have to go out and buy some, have picked a load of blackberries though, made crumbles. I suppose a visit to the church might be a last resort if all else fails. David

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Aug 2007 23:56

As I said before, This list covers the Sandwell register office but there's no marriage for them. http://www.bmsgh.org/wmbmd/marriages.html There's a marriage for a Lily Powell to Joseph Simcox in Tipton St Martin. Wonder if your cousin got it wrong. Rose

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Aug 2007 12:18

so Lilian did marry Frederick Taylor as Lillian Beard, June Qtr 1929 Birmingham N 6d 1019. . Seems to confirm she was married to Frederick Beard

Hilary645633

Hilary645633 Report 21 Aug 2007 22:49

Or could Lilian Beard have been a daughter of Frederick? Her marriage cert from 1929 to Frederick Taylor would give her father's name. I also notice on West Mids BMD that a Frederick M Beard marries a Minnie Walker in Cradley Heath in 1907, so it is a bit of a puzzle.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Aug 2007 23:02

If you haven't got the cert for the marriage to Fred Taylor, it may well be worth investing £7.00 to find out the exact details. Reg

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Aug 2007 23:14

Things aren't adding up because there's no death for Frederick in 1926. Rose

Steph

Steph Report 22 Aug 2007 00:08

There is a death for a Frederick T Beard Mar Qtr 1926 registered in Medway aged 42. If this was the Frederick Beard then there is also a marriage for Frederick T Beard in 1907 Sept Qtr registered in Southwark. Not the right areas.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Aug 2007 10:59

David............????

David

David Report 23 Aug 2007 21:36

Hi Everone,
Sorry be to so late getting back, unable to get on until now, and took some time to find it on the new setup.
I have found most of the information you have all kindly looked up. Frederick Beard died 1926 aged 65 confirmed by my father before he died, it is possible they never married, yet i have the dates passed on to me which are so precise, I think i should send for my aunts birth certificate, it will confirm the marriage.
Thankyou all for your help i'll let you know what I find out, watch this space.
regards David

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Aug 2007 22:08

Sorry to put a dampener on things, but the birth cert info will not prove that the parents were married............

Reg