Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Save my hair please !!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Atlantic Blue

Atlantic Blue Report 29 Jul 2007 16:21

Does anyone have access to any weird and wonderful marriage indexes which may help my search and save me tearing out any more hair !! Looking for the marriage of Matthew Moffat (Surname varies occasionally in the spelling) to a lady named Ellen or Eleanor. Marriage would probably have been between 1835 and 1845 and would almost certainly have been in either Durham or Northumberland. Jacob was born abt 1815 and Ellen / Eleanor abt 1817 both in the Whickham / Swalwell area of Durham. Many thanks Mike

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Jul 2007 16:38

Checked IGI and BVRI and nothing matches. But that's OK, I always think that bald men are sexy. (Mmm, Yul Brynner!) Oops, you are male, aren't you? Can't tell these days. (Thinking of Reg/Reggie)

Atlantic Blue

Atlantic Blue Report 29 Jul 2007 16:45

Thanks for trying Margaret. And yes ... last time I looked I was male !!! Mike

Maid Marian of

Maid Marian of Report 29 Jul 2007 16:52

Have you found them on any census returns?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Jul 2007 16:56

Had a look at the 1841 census to see if they were married by then. Couldn't find a Jacob, I even tried Mof* for last name, nothing came up. There was a John & Ellen, living in Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland, Durham. He was 30, she 25 which means with rounding down he could have been 30-34 and she 25-29. No occupation given for him, they're living with Elizabeth Kidd, 61 and Dorothy Lamb, 25, both independant.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 29 Jul 2007 16:59

1851 ? both listed as Widow Name: Elleanor Moffatt [Elleanor Kidd] Age: 36 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1815 Relation: Daughter Mother's Name: Elizabeth Gender: Female Where born: Sunderland, Durham, England Civil Parish: Bishopwearmouth Ecclesiastical parish: St Michael Town: Sunderland County/Island: Durham Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View Image Registration district: Sunderland Sub-registration district: South Bishop Wearmouth ED, institution, or vessel: 1f Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 251 Household Members: Name Age Elizabeth Kidd 70

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon)

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 29 Jul 2007 17:00

Mike I've nudged a thread re Joiners marriage index. It covers Durham marriages up to 1837 - might be worth looking. Angela

Thelma

Thelma Report 29 Jul 2007 17:04

Are you sure it is Jacob? Unable to find in any census. but 1851 Matthew Moffat Ellen abt 1818 Winlaton, Durham, England Head Whickham Durham

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Jul 2007 17:10

Something funny here. This one is Eleanor Moffatt but somebody has added a correction to change it to Eleanor Kidd. 1851 census 89 Hendon Rd., Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland, Durham Elizabeth Kidd, head, widow, 70, house proprietor, born Sunderland Eleanor Moffatt, dau, widow, 36, dressmaker, born Sunderland Same address, different family Jane Moffatt, head, married, 34, master mariner's wife, born Sunderland Elizabeth Ann, dau, 5, born Bishopwearmouth Jane (can't make out middle name), dau, 1, born Bishopwearmouth.

Atlantic Blue

Atlantic Blue Report 29 Jul 2007 17:16

OMG !!! I must apologise to all of you .... my despair has led me to giving you the wrong name !!! For Jacob read Matthew .....Everything else stands. I'm so sorry for this. Mike

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Jul 2007 17:21

From IGI on Familysearch: Eleanor Kidd born 13 Mar.1815, Robinson Lane-NC and St. Georges-NC, Sunderland, Durham. Father Peter Kidd. Mother Elizabeth Ward.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 29 Jul 2007 17:30

From IGI Family Search!! MATTHEW MOFFIT Pedigree Male Family -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages: Spouse: ELEANOR KERSOP Family Marriage: 23 MAY 1853 Whickham, Durham, Englan

Thelma

Thelma Report 29 Jul 2007 17:32

View Record Elizabeth Hall 1853 Apr-May-Jun Gateshead Durham, Tyne and Wear View Record Eleanor Kirsop 1853 Apr-May-Jun Gateshead Durham, Tyne and Wear View Record Matthew Moffet 1853 Apr-May-Jun Gateshead Durham, Tyne and Wear View Record Matthew Moffit 1853 Apr-May-Jun Gateshead Durham, Tyne and Wear

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Jul 2007 17:38

OK, back to the old drawing board. 1851 census Whickham, Durham Matthew Moffatt, head, 33, smith, born Winlaton, Durham Ellen, wife, 35 Matthew, son, 11, smith Ellen, dau, 8 Barbary, dau, 6 George, son, 3 Jacob, son, 2 months All born Whickham except Matthew.

Atlantic Blue

Atlantic Blue Report 29 Jul 2007 18:03

Thanks to everyone for their help. I've got Matthew , Ellen and family as far as the 1861 census when they were living in Easington , Durham and I have Ellen , now calling herself Eleanor in the 1871 census living in Market lane , Whickham , Durham with some of her kids. No Matthew so he may have been dead by then. My main query is trying to find who Matthew's wife Ellen / Eleanor was. i.e Surname. I've seen the 1853 marriage entry for Matthew Moffat and Eleanor Kirsop but this would mean they married some 13 years after the birth of their first child which I think is unlikely. Mike

Thelma

Thelma Report 29 Jul 2007 18:07

Maybe you should consider buying a birth cert. Jacob Moffatt 1851 Jan-Feb-Mar Gateshead Durham, Tyne and Wear

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon)

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 29 Jul 2007 18:49

Mike You say that you think it 'unlikely' the 1853 marriage is them as it was 13 years after the first child's birth. My 2xg grandparents were married 35 years after 1st child's birth - don't rule out anything! Angela

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Jul 2007 19:12

Don't know if you've got these, Mike, from IGI, all in Whickham: John Moffatt christened 31 Aug.1849. Parents Matthew Moffatt & Eleanor. (He doesn't show up on the 51 census. Died?) Jacob Moffatt christened 9 Mar.1851. Parents Matthew Moffatt & Ellen. Isabella Ann Moffet christened 22 Mar. 1857. Parents Mathias Moffet & Eleanor.

Atlantic Blue

Atlantic Blue Report 29 Jul 2007 22:38

Thanks Margaret , I'd missed the entry regarding John. Your help has been much appreciated. Regards Mike