Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Linda Harrison

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 23 Feb 2003 23:24

MY GRANDFATHER BIRTH IS NOT REGISTERED, IVE TRIED THE 1881 CENSUS 1871 CENSUS AND 1891 CENSUS HE WAS BORN AROUND 1872 I FOUND HIM ON THE 1901 CENSUS BUT THIS DIDNT HELP AS I AM TRYING TO FIND HIS MOTHERS NAME I HAVE HIS FATHERS NAME HENRY JOSEPH GODDARD WHICH IS ON HIS MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE IVE LOOKED FOR A MARRIAGE THAT MAY MATCH BUT CANT FIND ONE I WENT BACK YEARS BEFORE HE WAS BORN I HAVE ALSO TRIED BAPTISM FOR ALL THE CHURCHES IN THE AREA HE WAS BORN I LOOKED FOR ARMY RECORDS IN CASE HIS MOTHER WAS DOWN AS NEXT OF KIN, NOTHING.I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT CAN ANYONE HELP? I have looked at the Joseph Henry on 1881 census with son Henry Joseph born 1866 and there is a grandson Henry of the right age but Henry Joseph was born to late to be his father. I have explored the possibility of illigitamacy but have found that the daughters were too young at that time to be the mother.

Yve

Yve Report 15 Oct 2005 14:46

What is his name? What area? 1881 Census: There is a Joseph Henry Goddard (1832 born Hanworth, Mdx)with a Henry Joseph Goddard (1866 born Ewell, Sry)as son? Yve

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Oct 2005 15:03

There is a marriage of a Henry Joseph Goddard on Ancestry as follows:- Sept. qtr. 1873 Shoreditch, 1c, 263 Spouse EITHER Harriett Woodruff Mellers, OR Elizabeth Comtesse. There is also a birth of a Male Goddard (no first name given) Dec. qtr. 1873, Shireditch, 1c, 75 Could this be your grandfather and his parents? Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Oct 2005 15:04

OH, Christine, I wish I'd noticed that before searching. Hope we haven't got a phantom nudger again!!! Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Oct 2005 15:11

Hi Christine, It's just a matter of very quickly adding a nudge and deleting immediately. If it was the person who posted the message originally, you would think they would leave the nudge on the thread so we could see it was them. If it's a phantom nudger, just someone with a grudge or nothing better to do with their time than to waste other people's time. Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Oct 2005 15:23

The maddening thing is that I think the information I found sounds quite promising, so I don't know whether it is worth sending a message to Linda in case she is still a member and still looking for this information. After so long though she might not still be a member, or may have sorted this out years ago - what does anyone think!! Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Oct 2005 15:26

Kath It can't hurt to message her after you've gone to the trouble. Lou

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Oct 2005 15:34

Thanks, I'll do that. Kath. x

Jean

Jean Report 15 Oct 2005 15:34

Being curious I have just looked at her registration. Registered same date as her message and only has 44 names !!

Jean

Jean Report 15 Oct 2005 15:45

Not sure Chris, it looks to me as though she started and gave up very quickly! Would GR keep her on 'the books' if she hasn't kept her registration up? Seems very strange to me. Once started I can't leave it alone although I am on go slow where my Smiths and Jones are concerned. lol Jean

Jean

Jean Report 15 Oct 2005 16:16

I wish Chris!! I can't get any further back than great-grandfather with both of them. Doing a little better down the female line. Not Smith or Jones. Would help if they gave them unusual christian names. Jean

Linda

Linda Report 16 Oct 2005 16:25

I haven't a clue what nudging means,but it seems you all think i am time wasting. I can assure you I am a serious family history researcher. I was very new to computers and didn't always check message boards and I certainly haven't given up. Thanks for the people who took the time to reply but to the few who doubted me did it not occur to them that there might be a reason why my message was so old and why I didn't reply? Linda

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Oct 2005 16:40

Hi Linda, I've just got your personal message, and came back onto this thread to remind myself what it was about before replying to you. I've just read your reply on here, and think you have got the wrong end of the stick. No-one was having a go at you personally. We all just thought that because you hadn't put a reply on the thread but the thread HAD been jumped back to the top of the first page (this is what nudging is - someone puts a very short reply, like the word nudge, on a thread to get it back to the first page, and then deletes it), that someone else was messing about with old threads. People have done this in the past. If people who are trying to help don't notice that the thread is a very old one they can spend a lot of time and money looking up things that might not now be relevant. There is nothing wrong with nudging up your own old threads as long as you let people know that the request is still something you are interested in.We just didn't know who had nudged the thread. Hope you didn't get upset by any of the comments, because as I said they were not directed at you. Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2005 16:51

I've removed my first posting cos I didn't want Linda to think it was directed at her cos it most certainly wasn't As Kathleen explained, we've been plagued by a person or persons who have been putting threads years old back to the top of the boards and some people have spent a lot of money trying to help out before realising that the thread is ancient and the person who posted it probably no longer a member

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Oct 2005 16:54

Hi Lou, I had a personal message from Linda and she did think we were getting at her in particular. I have replied to her pm and explained that we weren't getting at her, but just at the daft people who have nothing better to do with their time nudging old threads for no particular reason. As it happens Linda does still need the information she was originally asking for. Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2005 16:57

Well I certainly wasn't...and I apologise to Linda if she was offended. I was merely commenting on the amount of money that had been wasted in the past on threads that had been phantom nudged by people thinking it was amusing (obviously not serious researchers then, if they have that much time on their hands) And its great that Linda still needed the information that was originally requested. Maybe I should throw a few of my problem rellies your way!

Linda

Linda Report 17 Oct 2005 22:46

Yve. I didn't realise that I hadn't given my Grandfathers first name. It is Henry George Goddard born Hanworth around 1872-1874 although it's possible it could be as early as 1869. different dates on certificates and other papers. Kathleen and everyone else, thanks for the replies. I had checked out the 1881 census entry for Joseph Henry born 1832 Hanworth and his wife Harriet but my grandad (Henry George) father was Henry Joseph. I also saw there was a Henry Joseph born 1866 but he is too young to be Gt. Grandad, so the Henry described as grandson of Joseph and Harriet and living with them in 1881 isn't his son. I checked for birth entries and only found an illegitimate Henry of that age and born in Hanworth but it doesn't seem to match as the daughters of Joseph and Harriet were of the wrong age or name for the mother. Although I keep going back to that family. I also found them on 1871 census and 1891. Still searching and hoping something will come up. Linda

Linda

Linda Report 17 Oct 2005 22:52

Kathleen I did see the marriage entry on ancestry for Henry Joseph it was a long time ago but I think I ruled it out for some reason but can't remember why, I think I will backtrack and double check that one. Thanks Linda