Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I know they existed but can

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 10 May 2004 20:08

This is really frustrating me as I cannot find any record of the birth of my g-grandfather in 1866/7. I have checked Free BMD and spent a fortune on 1837.online but he is not there!!!It is all v. mysterious and I am at a loss what to do next. He was called Thomas Derry, born Frome, parents Richmond & Hester Derry . His family are on the 1881 census in Frome but without Thomas, even though he would only have been 14/15 at the time. By 1891 he has re-appeared in Wales, married to my G-grandmother- this is the earliest record I have. Any thoughts from anyone? I am still waiting for 1871 census of Somerset to come online, hoping to find him there.

Sandra

Sandra Report 10 May 2004 20:15

I know how you feel I think probably most of us have rellies that appear and disapear. Lots of people didnt always get around to registering I have on my husbands side his great grandfather Joseph Raphael I have his birth certificate but cannot find his marriage, his son Samuel I have his wedding certificate but cant find his birth, all the family seemed to disapear during the 1881 census but resurfaced in 1891 Ah well makes life interesting good luck sandra

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 10 May 2004 20:18

Ann Have you tried asking on the records board for either an 1871 census look up or if anybody is going to the records office that holds the parish registers for Frome? Might be worth a try. Good Luck Jeanette

Irene

Irene Report 10 May 2004 20:25

1837-1875 Birth were recorded by the register when he went round and recorded any births in his district. It was not up to the parents but the register, if they were out or moved then a child was missed. So you will find plenty were missing. When they realised it was not working they then changed the law and made it that the parents had to record the births. Irene

Ann

Ann Report 10 May 2004 22:24

Thanks everyone, it is at least good to know that this is not a unique problem and so we can all suffer these brick walls together!!! Thanks Irene for that interesting info on the system of registering births- I did not realise that that was the case. If only they knew then just what problems it would cause later.......

Christine2

Christine2 Report 10 May 2004 22:48

Have you tried looking for variations of his name? I spent 6 months looking for my Grandmother's birth details on 1837 etc and many times I was tempted to give up but eventually found her with a slightly different first name and a wrong spelling of her surname. It's worth the effort for the thrill when you find it. Cheers Chris

Ann

Ann Report 11 May 2004 08:08

I have wondered about a different name, as in the 1881 census there is another son called Richmond in the family, born 1868. I always just assumed a younger brother- however in 1891 census there is no sign of Richmond, but Thomas appears for the first time. I do wonder if this is the same person (although the birth date is a year out!) and that he was Richmond Thomas originally, then just started using his middle name later in life. All just a theory at the moment, but I do know that he did not get on with his father, so if he had been named after him originally, that would be a reason to perhaps adopt his middle name??? Would he have had to declare his real name on the marriage certificate? As far as I know he married as Thomas Derry, but I have not actually seen it, but my auntie apparently has.

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 May 2004 08:56

Ann I know how you feel, I cannot find my g/grandmother's birth, but have a strong lead that they were non-conformists & were not on the Parish records. I found her older sister baptised in the Methodist chapel. I actually live in Frome so if you think there is any way I can help just let me know. I hope to go to the library today so will check what they actually keep there. Pat

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 May 2004 08:59

Ann I know how you feel, I cannot find my g/grandmother's birth, but have a strong lead that they were non-conformists & were not on the Parish records. I found her older sister baptised in the Methodist chapel. I actually live in Frome so if you think there is any way I can help just let me know. I hope to go to the library today so will check what they actually keep there. Pat

Ann

Ann Report 11 May 2004 09:18

Thanks Patricia, I have his parents marriage certificate, they were married at Sheppards Barton Chapel, which I believe was a Baptist Chapel, there is a possibility all the children were baptised there too. It would be very helpful if you could find out which records are in the library, I live in Bristol so it would not be too far to have a day out if I need to!!! By the way, from your local knowledge do you know where the Whiltshire Buildings are/were? That is the address listed in the 1881 census for the family. Thanks

Kay

Kay Report 11 May 2004 10:00

Could be that you have the same 'problem' as myself. I had been searching for my GG Grandfathers birth for ages, I have his marriage certificate so I could narrow down his age etc. It turns out that he was actually brought up by his fathers mother and her new husband, and somewhere down the line adopted their surname!!!! So after searching for a Robert Bransby birth for ages, I then found a Robert Donkin birth(his birthname) exactly where it should have been. Moral of the story is don't give up, they are there somewhere. Kay

Linda

Linda Report 11 May 2004 10:22

HI I also have this Problem with my grandfather, he is on the 1891 and 1901 censuses but there is no trace of a birth certificate, (my aunt even paid for GRO to do a search) The problem with mine was the family were music hall performers and travelled to a differant music hall each week, and so the birth may well have not been registered, hope this is of some use to you. LInda P

Paul

Paul Report 11 May 2004 11:45

I take it you have tried the usual alternate spelling,etc? Paul

Carole

Carole Report 11 May 2004 13:16

I had the same problem with my great-grandmother, who was born in 1858. Some kind sould on this tips board found her on the 1861 census, along with a number of siblings I previously knew nothing of. It seems she "switched" her first names around later in life, as she was Augusta on the census & Annie Augusta when she married, but I still couldn't track down her birth certificate. I also looked for her siblings - the first 2, born in Brentford, were listed, but the next 3, born in Isleworth, were not. Maybe they were all found under the mulberry bush...

Brenda

Brenda Report 11 May 2004 14:52

Ann I have this problem with about three of my names,found them married ,on census etc named on birth certs ,but cannot find them being born or their deaths.Driving me nuts .But will keep on trying.

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 May 2004 16:45

Ann I will e mail you direct with my findings. Pat

Ann

Ann Report 31 May 2004 21:39

Just to let everyone who helped me know: I decided to send for the birth certificate of Richmond Derry, who I thought was Thomas' younger brother- turns out they were the same person- Thomas switched his first & middle names around at some point. The most annoying thing is- this had me foxed for months, but when I mentioned what I had found out to my dad, he casually said:'Oh yes, I remember my mother telling me his real name was Richmond Derry'. Ahhhh!!! Moral of the story- keep grilling your living relations, sometimes they forget things, sometimes they do not mention things as they do not believe they are important. It could have saved me £7 for the certificate and money on 1837, not too mention time!!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 May 2004 21:42

Ann Glad you got it sorted. I have rafts of relies that used middle names, or shortened names which weren't short for the name they were given. And yes, my mum always agrees with me when I find something out which is obviously buried in her memory when I first ask! So have you found him on 1881 census yet - if he was 14/15 he would probably have been working elsewhere. My family all seem to be chucked out at 12+.

Michelle

Michelle Report 31 May 2004 22:39

I have the same problem. I cannot find the births of my GG Grandparents. I have found them on 1881, 1891 and 1901 census and I have their marriage certificate, but have sent for their birth certificates and they are not there. Kind people on here have checked 1837 and I have checked freeBMD, but nothing. I am totally lost as to what to do next, they just do not want to be found. M.