Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1881 LDS vs 1881 CD !

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 20 Jun 2004 15:40

Hi Everyone, I have been unable to locate my family on 1881 Census LDS, ... tried all variations of names that I can think off........ Would an 1881 CD look-up be of any help ? Regards J.C.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 20 Jun 2004 15:46

Hi, They are one and the same. The online 1881 was put on family search from the same data that is on CDs which are sold by the LDS. However, Scotland is not included in the online version. Gwynne

John

John Report 20 Jun 2004 16:02

Hi Gwynneth, Thank's for answering. Thanks for the info. Has anyone got a possible answer to why my family are on the 1871 Census, not on 1881, but back on the 1891. ..... My G / Grandparent's first son was born in 1882, so I cannot see why they should not be on the 1881, any possible suggestions ? Regards J.C.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Jun 2004 16:09

I will look on the CDs for you if you post the names d.o.b etc

John

John Report 20 Jun 2004 16:24

Hi Gwyenth, Many thanks for the offer, ... My G / Grandfather Alfred Wentzell was b 1852, Birkenhead, Cheshire & Charlotte Wentzell ( Wannell ) b 1860, Woking, Surrey. Alfred's occupation on my grandfathers B.C in 1882 was as Fireman on a steamship, his occupation on their marriage certificate in 1879 was as Carman, and they were living in Faraday Street, Newington, Surrey, Any help much appreciated, Many Thanks again, J.C.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Jun 2004 17:29

Sorry, I haven't been able to find them. I put his name into Google and got a result which suggested a change of name. I searched under that too. As he was on a steamship later, I wonder if they were possibly both out of the country in 1881.

John

John Report 20 Jun 2004 18:32

Hi Gwyennth, Many Thanks for your time for looking, ..... I think you are possibly right in thinking that they were out of the country at that time .... but, one other thing that comes to mind, which may possibly help, grandfather b 1882, he was born in Newhaven, Sussex, U.S.D which I understand stands for Urban Sanitary District, what part this covered in Sussex then, I have no idea. ... ... We have the info that they were married in 1879 and lived in Newington until then. Electoral Registers shows his father (ALBERT) in Faraday Street until 1880. .... On the 1881 Census, ALBERT is aboard the S.S. Granton in Essex, we have not yet been able to find Albert on the 1891 Census ..... but found Alfred and Charlotte + family at Deptford on it. ... ... The 1901 Census shows Albert back entered under the name of Wetzell aged 64, in Bermondsey .. Certainly not making it easy for us are they, jigging back and forth. Alfred, emigrated to U.S.A, under another name, and left the family behind, so we know he will not be on 1901 Census. We have not also been able to find Charlotte and the rest of the family on the 1901 either. We do know that my Grandfather was an army man, and will pursue him on this. I am also in the process of obtaining an Aunt's b.c of 1905 to clarify where the family where then. Many Thanks for your help, its much appreciated, Regards J.C

Steven

Steven Report 20 Jun 2004 19:20

I remember reading somewhere recently that there was a better search function on the discs than there is on the web site. Steve.

John

John Report 20 Jun 2004 20:03

Thanks for the info Steve. J.C.

John

John Report 20 Jun 2004 21:17

Hi Patricia, Thanks for answering, what I am finding is quite a few transcription error's have been made on my Mother's family name of Wentzell, and wonder if this IS the problem that I have on the 1881. ... ....I / We know of the understanding / deciphering can be a problem but when you find Neutzell as Wentzell, ... it's easy to see when it's in front of you, ..... BUT you don't half lose a few hairs trying to find them though, ... it just makes you wonder what you have to do to find them ?? Happy Hunting Everyone, J.C.

Steven

Steven Report 20 Jun 2004 21:28

This explains problems with the 1881 Census, transcription errors etc. http://globalgenealogy(.)com/globalgazette/gazfd/gazfd32(.)htm And this is a quote from a site selling the discs. "The CD-ROM includes the FamilySearch™ Resource File Viewer 2.0, which allows powerful and flexible search capabilities. Users can tag and make notes for records and download the data into RTF (Rich Text Format)." Steve.

Kim

Kim Report 20 Jun 2004 21:50

i think there were quite a few mis spellings on the 1881 My Strouvelle family was down as Stromwelle. also could you try the HIstoricaldirectories website which may give you an address. Kim

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Jun 2004 08:31

Have just had another look for them, focusing on Sussex but still didn't find them. I wonder why his mother was in Newhaven? It's another port for that steamship though! I wonder if it would be worth looking for Alfred's birthplace address on the actual films rather than the transcriptions, just incase they are there but got left off the index.

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 21 Jun 2004 11:41

John, I don't know about the CD v the internet site, but there is a difference between the fiche version and the internet. I have a family originally found on the fiche version who are not on the internet version. So it may be worth checking the fiche and seeing if they turn up on there. Ros

John

John Report 21 Jun 2004 12:03

Hi Everyone, Many thanks for all your help and info. Gwyennth - I think your right on the Newhaven Port / Steamship bit, it's been in the back of our minds that this was just a convenient stop for the birth of their son, ...... My Grandfather Henry (Harry) Wentzell b 1882. ...... His b.c only gives the info of Newhaven U.S.D, and no address is given. I'm hoping somehow I may find a way of searching more into what the U.S.D area of Sussex covers, i.e how large the area was. ......... We know also that if they were at sea at the time of the census they would not be on the census anyway ........ Henry's father Alfred he was born in Birkenhead 1854, Charles Street, b.c details. his elder brother was b 1852 Liverpool - we have just recently had this confirmed through a search of the 1871 census of St George the Martyr, in Southwark, with Alfred, brother and parents together. We have as of yet been unable to locate Alfred's brothers b.c., which would clear up a few points, hopefully? ...... Liverpool seems to be another port of call to investigate at sometime, as theywere in area 2 - 3 yrs, ..... possibly. Many thanks for all your help everyone, Much appreciated, Regards J.C.

Geoff

Geoff Report 21 Jun 2004 12:59

I would imagine that Newhaven would have had its own USD (as would Brighton etc) and that areas outside the town (if they had sanitation at all!) would have been part of some Rural SD.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Jun 2004 17:40

John, I have just noticed in the July 2004 edition of Family Tree Magazine that they have an article on p. 65 about new fiche published by PBN Publications, 22 Abbey Road, Eastbourne, East Sussex. BN20 8TE. Mentioned is one titled 'Newhaven:Lists of Crew Members on ships trading from Newhaven between 1864 and 1889, £2.80. I don't know if this would help to track down your folk.

Sandra

Sandra Report 25 Jun 2004 20:13

Hi John, I have had the same problem searching for my husbands Raphaels on 1881, have them in 1871, 1891 and 1901 but none on 1881 have found others missing also. I guess sometimes people were not "around" when the enumerator came round or names got left out misspelt there have been a few of us with same problem, frustrating isnt it!! happy searching sandra

Irene

Irene Report 25 Jun 2004 21:29

Hi yes you can search better on CD's but they are only in regions, i.e. London is split in 3, Greater London West, Surrey, Hampshire, berkshire, Isle of Wight, Oxford. Greater London East Buckingham, Essex, Herford, Sussex, Kent. London -Middlesex. You can search first name born (parish) this does help, (good for married females) something that is not available on LDS site. But there are about 16 CD's to search if they have moved out of the County. Irene

Jorvikmik

Jorvikmik Report 25 Jun 2004 22:15

If you get the CD's then put the entire lot on the hard drive so that there is no CD swapping when searching - makes life easier, especialy if like me you are lazy.