Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MENTAL HEALTH HOSPITAL

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 3 Nov 2004 13:50

CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME OF THE NAMES OF ANY HOSPITAL IN EPSOM SURREY THAT A WOMAN WOULD HAVE BEEN COMMITTED TO IN 1930/40'S AFTER HAVING A 'BREAKDOWN' SHE ACTUALLY CAME FROM LONDON BUT WAS PUT IN THIS HOSPITAL AND DIED THERE - BUT I AM NOT SURE WHEN MAUREEN

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 3 Nov 2004 14:12

Hi I did know the name of one, but it escapes me. On the other hand I just did a quick google and found this site: http://www.mdx.ac.uk/www/study/4_13_TA.htm I think the one I was thinking of was Banstead - but there was a whole ring of them round London! Must remember to come back to this message when I'm home so that I can bookmark that link! Christine

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 3 Nov 2004 14:17

Maureen There is one around that area called Brookwood. I think it's the main one in Surrey. If I remember right it's somewhere near Woking. Hope that helps Pat

Maureen

Maureen Report 3 Nov 2004 15:57

Hi Pat Wouldnt you know it!! its now a housing estate!! Got a bit carried away and found some interesting facts, i.e. the first crematorium was in a place called St Johns and it was built in 1879, 6 years before they became legal. Thanks anyway maureen

Maureen

Maureen Report 3 Nov 2004 16:00

Hi Christine maybe it is me, but ended up with Middx Uni with that address. Will have another go later Thanks anyway maureen

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 3 Nov 2004 16:07

Maureen Sorry I didn't know it was a housing estate now but it doesn't suprise me. Mental Hospital to housing estate and Cemetary to car park what next? Pat

Ian

Ian Report 3 Nov 2004 16:07

Maureen, Try Banstead - I seem to remember that as being a Mental Hospital in past times. Ian

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 3 Nov 2004 17:57

Hi If I use that link, I get a page at Middx Uni which starts: Index of English and Welsh Lunatic Asylums and Mental Hospitals Based on a comprehensive survey in 1844, and extended to other asylums. It's a very large/long page with masses of info and links on it. I reckon it's someone's thesis/dissertation, but it should be really useful for anyone who has to research asylums (?asyla?), workhouses and the like. Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 3 Nov 2004 18:04

I've just had another look. It includes links to info about asylums in India, in Australia and in the USA. I love the inclusion of pictures and historical maps, as well. Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Nov 2004 18:16

I found this by googling "Epsom Mental Hospital" Epsom Protection Society website The Epsom Group 1890? London County Council bought all the land belonging to the Manor of Horton in Epsom, Surrey, to develop a complex of asylums which was to become the largest in Europe. The five hospitals built were The Manor (1899), Horton (1902), Ewell Epileptic Colony (1903) (later St Ebba's) Long Grove (1907), and West Park (1921). nell

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 3 Nov 2004 18:21

If you go to that site I mention abve and scroll down the R-hand-side menu and click on Epsom, you get a link to the site Nell mentions but also a 1973 map of the specific area showing all the hospitals. Christine

Michele

Michele Report 3 Nov 2004 19:04

Maureen, Surrey History Centre in Woking might be able to help you. I found one of my ancestors in Brookwood Asylum and Surrey History centre have the records for that asylum. There is a 100 year closure on the records so they may not be able to give you patient details. Worth a try anyway, the website is www(.)surreycc(.)gov(.)uk/ Good Luck Michele

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Nov 2004 23:54

There's a hospital in Carshalton. I don't think it was a mental health hospital, but of course your relative could have been taken there for treatment. nell

Jody

Jody Report 4 Nov 2004 00:17

there was a mental hospital in Epsom which is now a block f flats. it was knocked down a couple of years ago. my sister in law live in epsom so ill ask her about it or you. apparently a woman was admitted there at the turn of the 1900s or having a child at the age of 14. they apparetly classed this a lunacy!! she ended up staying there until she died at the age of almost 100 as she couldnt live in the outside world. bit of a sad stoy but thought i'd share it. i just fond it fasinating how times and thngs have changed over the last 100 years. there are hundreds of 14 year old girls with babies these days!!

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Nov 2004 08:23

Hi There are still several mental hospitals in Epsom as mentioned by others ,The big one is nearby in Banstead. I can go to the local Libary if you think that will help. Do get back to me.

June

June Report 4 Nov 2004 22:23

You are looking for Banstead hosptial which was pulled down some 15 years ago, Highview stands on the grounds.

Maureen

Maureen Report 5 Nov 2004 02:54

Pat We've got a little ancient church that dates back to Norman times they are trying to knock down to extend an Airport runway!! maureen

Maureen

Maureen Report 5 Nov 2004 03:14

Just my luck they decided to build all those mental hospitals in the Surrey area, i stupidly imagined there was just going to be one large one somewhere in the Epsom area, i dont know where to start, in fact i think i will forget it, was hopeing to find info on a patient, and by the looks of it that would be almost impossible anyway.I havent really got all that much to go on , just a Aunt of a friend, who remembers visiting once in approx 1945 when her Aunt was 45, kept on at her her Mum to take her back to visit again (Mums sister) was told the aunt had died, then approx 50 years later was told by another relative that the woman in hospital had brought shame on the family and had died an old woman locked up in this place on her own, as all the family had decided to snub her (Charming Lot!!) Thanks everyone for your help, i'll go back to my Smiths that i cant find either!! maureen