Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It made me sick!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JG70

JG70 Report 5 Nov 2004 14:24

As it's the only day I've had to my self since the children were born I decided to treat myself with a trip to the library, after I did the look up I promised someone else (that took 2 hours 20 mins and was no trace of it!!) I got ready to look at what I wanted on the 1871 census. Guess what I got motion sickness because of the film passing left to right in front of my eyes. I felt so ill I had to stop How disappointing is that?! Anyone else had this trouble? Jacquie

JG70

JG70 Report 5 Nov 2004 20:40

Must be a common complaint. Here's the tip of the day, have a travel sickness pill before going to the library!! Jacquie

Lindy

Lindy Report 5 Nov 2004 20:44

I do not want to be an alarmist but please see your G:P: and tell him about it. Lindy;-)))

Heather

Heather Report 5 Nov 2004 21:45

I have to say that I feel pretty rough when I go to the records office, if its not screwing up my eyes to read 18th century scribble its almost having a fit when I fast forward the film rolls! So pleased its not just me! Luckily in our office (very modern) they have a rest room with coffee and drinks machines and snacks!

JG70

JG70 Report 5 Nov 2004 22:15

Yes Heather, there's nothing up with me normally either - it's the fast forward - like looking out of a train window - horrid for travel sickness sufferers. There should be a warning in the library - I won't dare look at the census again. I was OK with newspapers as it's top to bottom. Luckily my office is modern and the only fische we hold is on sheets - or I'd have to resign!! Jacquie

Helen

Helen Report 5 Nov 2004 22:18

I suffer from left-handedness! All the little winder handles are on the right hand side and being a lefty my right arm is the weaker so I get a bad ache in my right shoulder.

Joy

Joy Report 5 Nov 2004 22:31

The Family Records Centre has 'special needs' viewers - you could ask for them if you go there. Joy

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 5 Nov 2004 22:32

I get this problem as well but only if i use the motorsied readers. I am fine if i use the manual ones, also when i rewind it i turn the light off so i can't see the film moving. Can be annoying when the town/village i want is right at the end of the reel, as it takes me a whiel to get there LOL I spoke to one of the advisers at the Frc and she assures me it is a very common complaint lots of people suffer. shelli

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 5 Nov 2004 22:49

I try to not look at the screen when I am winding. I just keep it in the corner of my eye, then stop completely every few secs to check where I am. Otherwise you may have to find a 'buddy' to go with - you could check static records and they could do the windy bits!!! Maz. XX

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 5 Nov 2004 22:55

I can cope with censuses okay, but I really hate looking at the burnt documents at Kew. They are all different shapes and sizes, so you have to concentrate on the images. The sensation IS just like travel sickness, so a pill sounds a really good idea. Brenda

Carole

Carole Report 6 Nov 2004 14:16

Hi Jacquie, Yes that happens to me too! I do get travel sick anyway. I also cannot watch that Channel 4 medical comedy "Green Wing" because all the speeding up of the film makes me dizzy!! Weird! C.

Seasons

Seasons Report 6 Nov 2004 14:40

Yes it also happened to me when viewing Newspaper archives - felt really sick. Thankfully someone gave me the date and the next time I went I was able to go straight to the right paper and found it. When I used one at the LDS FHC I didn't use the motor on the viewer just turned it by hand and although perhaps slower worked for me.

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 6 Nov 2004 15:18

I ordered 2 census fro LDSand was tired after work when I went to view them . I couldn`t see what I was looking for either and just kept scrolling -it seemed forever I thought it was just me feeling a bit odd! Rosalyn

JG70

JG70 Report 6 Nov 2004 18:02

I bet none of us are descended from Seamen then!! Let's all cross Nelson out of our tree!! Jacquie

Victoria

Victoria Report 6 Nov 2004 20:57

i went to the archives today and a lot of the microfiche i needed to view were sidways on. the combination of trying to read on my side and winding things along made me so ill i don't think i'll be able to go again! awful

Victoria

Victoria Report 6 Nov 2004 20:58

i went to the archives today and a lot of the microfiche i needed to view were sidways on. the combination of trying to read on my side and winding things along made me so ill i don't think i'll be able to go again! awful

Victoria

Victoria Report 6 Nov 2004 20:58

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 6 Nov 2004 21:57

The films make me feel a bit sick/dizzy at times and the fiche, if moved fast, do as well. I also feel sick /dizzy when watching certain adverts or tv programes. I find flickering/flashing lights can cause the same problems and everything mentioned can start off a migrane. i look away or close my eyes if possible. Viv

Seasons

Seasons Report 6 Nov 2004 23:01

Could still be a descendant of Nelson or Drake as my sea legs are fine - even with a novice on the wheel its just my eyesight on the motorised machines make me sick.

JG70

JG70 Report 6 Nov 2004 23:02

How are you at bowls Julie? Jacquie