Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can u help?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 15 Nov 2004 21:10

My Ggrandfather Benjamin Langford got married in Upton, Somerset to Alice Fowler in 1903. They had 2 children i think, 1 of whom is my nan Edith. He was then killed in ww1. The cwgc says he was 37 and died the 24/02/1916. I have searched Ancestry.com and can only find one Benjamin who was born 1887 but these dates dont match. Could this possibly be the same person or am i clutching at straws? Im wondering if the war commission could have made an error and that he was 39 when he died. Is this possible? Thanks

Crista

Crista Report 15 Nov 2004 21:19

Susan, Ancestry isn't complete for births and there are some big gaps in the 1880s. Crista

Kim

Kim Report 15 Nov 2004 21:20

Ancestry is not complete if you are talking about the birth marriage and death gro records. Check 1837online which is a fuller picture of the actual indexes, though not necessarily complete! Kim

Susan

Susan Report 15 Nov 2004 21:24

thank you Christa and Kim!! I am very new to all this and quite often hit a brick wall so all suggestions are very welcome.

Alison

Alison Report 15 Nov 2004 21:26

Hi Susan, Is this him in the 1881 census? Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Benjamin LANGFORD Head M Male 48 Exeter, Devon, England Pianoforte Key Maker Elizabeth LANGFORD Wife M Female 46 Milton, Kent, England Alice LANGFORD Daur Female 13 St Pancras, Middlesex, England Amy LANGFORD Daur Female 12 St Pancras, Middlesex, England Scholar Carrie LANGFORD Daur Female 10 St Pancras, Middlesex, England Scholar Jessie LANGFORD Daur Female 7 St Pancras, Middlesex, England Scholar Benjamin LANGFORD Son Male 3 St Pancras, Middlesex, England Dwelling 119 Bentham Rd Census Place London, Middlesex, England Best Wishes Alison

Crista

Crista Report 15 Nov 2004 21:29

What about this birth? Langford, Benjamin 1877 March Taunton (1837-1974) Devon Somerset 5c 354 Crista

Susan

Susan Report 15 Nov 2004 21:36

Hi Alison It could be as the age matches but as far as i know all my relatives originate from somerset and thats where he married. I dont know how to confirm its him or not. Thanks for searching for me though!!

Crista

Crista Report 15 Nov 2004 21:38

Susan, 1881 Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability James LINGFORD Head M Male 47 Stoke St Gregory, Somerset, England Ag Lab Elizabeth LINGFORD Wife M Female 44 Stoke St Gregory, Somerset, England Chas. LINGFORD Son U Male 24 Stoke St Gregory, Somerset, England Ag Lab William LINGFORD Son U Male 17 Stoke St Gregory, Somerset, England Domestic Servt Henry LINGFORD Son Male 14 Stoke St Gregory, Somerset, England Ag Lab James LINGFORD Son Male 11 Stoke St Gregory, Somerset, England Scholar Elizabeth LINGFORD Dau Female 6 Stoke St Gregory, Somerset, England Scholar Bean LINGFORD Son Male 4 Stoke St Gregory, Somerset, England Scholar Ellen LINGFORD Dau Female 2 Stoke St Gregory, Somerset, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling Stanmoor Census Place Stoke St Gregory, Somerset, England Family History Library Film 1341569 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 2365 / 166 Page Number 10 Crista

Susan

Susan Report 15 Nov 2004 21:38

Hi Christa This birth was the one i found and also matches the 1891 and 1901 census but it would make my G grandad 39 when he died. Not sure where to go from here!!

Susan

Susan Report 15 Nov 2004 21:42

Christa Is bean another name 4 benjamin? Sue

Crista

Crista Report 15 Nov 2004 21:43

Susan, Why not order the marriage cert? It will give you his father's name. Crista

Susan

Susan Report 15 Nov 2004 21:50

Hi Jim Thanks for helping me. The dates seem good to me too but this makes him 39 when he died and not 37. I think my only option is to order the marriage certificate as christa says to find out his fathers name!!! Sue

Crista

Crista Report 15 Nov 2004 21:56

Susan, If he hadn't had his birthday that year, then it would only be one year out. Crista

Susan

Susan Report 15 Nov 2004 22:02

Hi christa! that is true i never thought of that. Should i buy these certificates and take a chance? Sue

Crista

Crista Report 15 Nov 2004 22:07

Susan, Another idea is that he lied about his age when he signed up to go to war. Perhaps there was an age limit. I'm not really sure about that. I'd get the marriage cert. It will give you an age, occupation and father's name. Crista

Susan

Susan Report 15 Nov 2004 22:13

Christa Thanks for all your help!! I think I will make that my next step before anything else. Its great being able to chat to others and get help. I only joined on saturday and been very impressed reading other peoples tips how helpful everyone is!!! Anyway off to bed now my head is swimming!! Thanks to all Sue

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Nov 2004 22:59

Susan About that birth which Crista found for you in "Taunton, Devon, Somerset" Taunton is in Somerset. I think the Devon bit is only there so that, if someone searches on Devon, they pick up places that are close to the county boundary, even when in the next county. It also allows for the boundary changes that have happened from time to time. Christine

Susan

Susan Report 16 Nov 2004 11:17

Hi jim I think ive found him on 1901 aswell living with his brother James and also the lingford family Christa mentioned yesterday on the 1881 looks like the right family just spelling mistake on surname. Until i get his marriage certificate i wont be sure but hopefuly it is. What a huge family!! Must have hundreds of distant relatives on here surely. Thanks again for looking for me!! Sue