Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with a lunatic asylum please !!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 29 Nov 2004 13:40

I am confused. I just found a 12 yr old sister of my g grandfather in a lunatic asylum. see below...........

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 29 Nov 2004 13:41

It is on the 1881 census. She is at Essex County Lunatic Asylum , but she was born in Bexley Heath Kent. She doesn't seem to be an inmate because it says she is a niece of a married couple. The man seems to have official after his name & the wife has "wife of gate porter"?? her name is anne Martin, but I don't understand why she would be there. Can anyone help please??

Jorvikmik

Jorvikmik Report 29 Nov 2004 13:46

Check to see if she had a sister or brother born about that time - quite often children were farmed out at such times

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 29 Nov 2004 13:50

really !!! there were 8 children. The next oldest was 3 years older, & my g grandfather was the youngest born 3 years later. She was the youngest of 3 girls, all the rest were boys. Did people really give there kids away?? The father had died in 1878, maybe that's why.

Alice

Alice Report 29 Nov 2004 13:58

maybe she held a small job helping out there karan

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 29 Nov 2004 14:04

Is Essex near Kent? The rest of the family stayed in Bexley Heath for generations, & every male was a chimney sweep. Guess the girls weren't in the business. I just found her 14 year old sister a servant in a pub. At least she is still in town

Heather

Heather Report 29 Nov 2004 14:18

Yes, Bexley would be just a few miles from the Essex border.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Nov 2004 14:21

It is possible she had gone there to work as a domestic and was living with her relatives. Quite a lot of young girls got jobs away from home at that age, especially if there were several children (i.e. too many mouths to feed). Ann Glos

Peter

Peter Report 29 Nov 2004 14:22

Being a widow, It was not unusule for children to get farmed out and work for rellys just to bring in a bit more cash. some times they were even sold in to bondage (work type not sex) look at "Oliver" that was based on fact, thou he was an orphen.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 29 Nov 2004 14:26

oh ok, it is starting to make some sense now. Big brother died in March 1881, father died in 1878. I guess the mother wasn't coping. My g grandfather who was 8 was still at home with 1 other big brother & mum. The 3 girls are living away.

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 29 Nov 2004 14:37

I think she is just living with Auntie and Uncle for the reasons given above. She is listed as a scholar so don't think slave trade comes into it. May even have just been 'staying over' for a while.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 29 Nov 2004 14:43

I am feeling very protective of my family !! Funny isn't it.....but this research is more than just facts & figures isn't. I am starting to live with them in their lives.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 29 Nov 2004 14:47

I just found one of the other big brothers living in Liverpool !?!?! Hey, I wonder if he had a son Named George Martin?? Maybe I am related to the Beatles !?!?

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 29 Nov 2004 15:15

Calm down, Karen. George Martin wasn't related to the Beatles - unless there's something they aren't telling us!!!

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 29 Nov 2004 15:27

well he had something to do with the Beatles.........it still could be a good story to tell !! LOL

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 29 Nov 2004 17:07

oh dear, I'm back to being sad with this family again. Caroline who was working in the pub when she was 14, died when she was 22 ! so sad. The other 2 girls got married young.

Anne

Anne Report 29 Nov 2004 22:04

Don't forget the census is just a 'snapshot' of one night. Perhaps, as someone else said, she was just staying over with her aunt and uncle for a while. Anne

Valice in

Valice in Report 29 Nov 2004 22:23

Maybe the asylum had a 'lodge' at the entrance where Aunt & Uncle lived as aunt is wife of gate keeper, and uncle is official, probably the gate keeper! Also niece could have lived with them and be doing some kind of work, cleaning or kitchen work up at the asylum. My grandmother says she went out to work at the age of 10, that would have been about 1898