Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP WITH READING CENSUS IMAGE PLEASE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 12 Jan 2005 23:34

I have Clara Byerley 1901 census Coventry with Husband Ernest and 2 children. She is shown as 42 but was in fact 32. Living with them was Percy Wilkins aged 23. He is transcribed as Son-which he obviuosly isn't but I can't read what the image actually says. Also the address Co-operative something that I cannot read. I have another also. I found Mary Curzons on the 1901 site in Coventry. I went to Ancestry then as I did not want to buy credits just for these 2 but I cannot find her at all on the Ancestry 1901! Is it missing or am I just being dumb tonight. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 12 Jan 2005 23:36

There is a May Curzons age 3 in Coventry?? No Mary.

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 12 Jan 2005 23:41

Looks like Co-operative Stores and Head of family is the Caretaker

Patricia

Patricia Report 12 Jan 2005 23:50

No Mary was 25 and is shown on 1901 site. It is Percy Wilkins who I can't make out. He is definitely not a son. Ancestry musst have missed mary off. I'll have to pay on 1901 to see the household I think.

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 13 Jan 2005 00:00

Here she is - mistranscribed but image is quite clear. I misunderstood - I thought you had seen her on Ancestry! Living 80 Adelaide St Coventry. No occupation given. Definitely her. Lilly M Bull 13 Birmingham, Warwickshire, England Niece Coventry Warwickshire Gwendoline Earzons 5 Exeter, Devon, England Daughter Coventry Warwickshire Mary A Earzons 25 Coventry, Warwickshire, England Head Coventry Warwickshire Tricia

Patricia

Patricia Report 13 Jan 2005 00:01

Thank you all for your help. Off to bed now. Will look into it further tomorrow.

Crista

Crista Report 13 Jan 2005 00:03

There's an Ellie Wilkins on that page too. Crista

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 13 Jan 2005 00:03

Mary is shown as Head and married so where is husband??

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 13 Jan 2005 00:06

Which page,Crista? I was rather hoping that Clara was 42 and Percy was her son but that particular entry is a real mess. Tricia

Crista

Crista Report 13 Jan 2005 00:07

The next page is pretty funny. There's a note that says the lodgers refused to give any christian names or details and the ages were estimated by the lodging house keeper. Crista

Crista

Crista Report 13 Jan 2005 00:09

Tricia, The page with the Byerleys. Perhaps Percy is a nephew? Crista

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 13 Jan 2005 00:15

My stupid theory is shot through. Clara was a Hendley before marriage. Don't know who Percy is - couldn't spot him on 1891. That awful writing could just be lodger. I saw the next page too - right load of ruffians,I expect!! Tricia

Patricia

Patricia Report 13 Jan 2005 08:56

Just got up and got about 20 mins. I only get about 1 hour most nights-not all- to do my family history. Thanks a lot for all your help. Yes Mary I think must have been a widow by then. Needs further investigation me thinks!

Patricia

Patricia Report 13 Jan 2005 09:57

Well there's something to conjure with. I really don't know as I only stumbled across Percy Wilkins looking on the census for Clara Byerley. I'll put them in my things to look at in the future or I'll get really confused.

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 13 Jan 2005 11:36

Mary was shown as Married in 1901 and not as a widow. Are you positive that age for Clara is incorrect? Do you have any marriage certs showing former names. Looks suspicious to me! Tricia

Patricia

Patricia Report 13 Jan 2005 15:49

Yes positive Clara married Ernest Byerley. Also have birth cert for Clara so know she was 32 not 42.

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 13 Jan 2005 17:14

Brilliant! It does pay for fresh eyes to look. Get quite bog -eyed after a while - knowing there is a problem but not being quite able to see it. Well done. Reckon you could be right. Tricia

Patricia

Patricia Report 13 Jan 2005 17:41

Do you know I was convinced that marriage was right after asking round the family-but then what do they know at times. Matts theory looks pretty good to me. Have to send for a cert and see. I'll send for Clara Hendleys as she is the family person.