Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where do I start?????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2005 12:59

See below

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2005 13:00

I have a marriage certificate where the groom's surname is different varation on spelling to the father's surname. It's the right family, the surname spelling just changes constantly over the years. It varies from Gladrey to Glathery to Gladthery to Glathers and so on. The marriage took place in 1863 and I find no trace of the person named as the father anywhere, either as a BMD or on the 1871 census. It's been suggested that the name originates from the Irish McGlathery, but how do I even start trying to locate these people when I don't know what version of the name I'm supposed to be looking for or where to begin to look?

Val

Val Report 21 Jan 2005 13:06

try and get the death certificate

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2005 13:06

Valerie What death certificate? Lou

Val

Val Report 21 Jan 2005 13:12

If the person you are looking for has died you get there death certificate and it will give the spelling of the name

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Jan 2005 13:16

But if Lou doesnt know how to spell it, then how is she going to search for the death cert? catch 22 situation Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2005 13:17

That's the whole point, thanks Margaret. There is not single match for any of the variations of this surname on ancestry, freebmd, 1837, Lancs or Cheshire BMD, other than my gggrandfather and his daughter my ggrandmother and her various siblings. It's as if the rest of his family never existed. No possible birth for his father, marriage for his parents, nothing on the census, no deaths. The only ones there are my ggrandfather and his wife and children My gggrandfather's surname on his marriage cert is different to the one on his daughter's birth cert and her marriage cert the surname is different again. I'm clueless as to where to begin short of trawling the 1861 census discs trying to find someone with a remotely similar name!

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 21 Jan 2005 13:22

what are the ages and first name of the person on the marriage cert and what is his occupation. Also where did the marriage take place. regards, Siobhan

Val

Val Report 21 Jan 2005 13:22

They like to confuse us do you have clue where he was born as I have a problem with my gr gr grans death think she went back to Ireland that could be possible as you did say the different ones might be irish

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2005 13:29

Hi Siobhan This is what I have so far... The first verified appeareance of my great great grandfather George is his marriage certificate. He marries September 2nd 1863 in Ashton under Lyne Lancashire to Emma Herod. His surname down as Gladthery. Father James Glatherley, Cotton Weaver. George and Emma's daughter (my great grandmother) Eliza is born 27th March 1871. Eliza Gladrey, father George Gladney. Eliza marries in 1890 as Eliza Glathery! I have searched 1837 for a possible birth for George as he states born Ashton under Lyne but the images aren't fantastic for the ones I need. A search at the FRC located nothing Thanks Lou

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 21 Jan 2005 13:33

what was George's occupation does it state that one the marriage cert. Also does it state his age. I will have a look in the 1871 census for them.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 21 Jan 2005 13:40

I have found them in the 1871 census. George's wife is transcribed as Anna and not Emma. details as follows: George Gladrey HEAD age 27 occupation Collier born Hurst Lancashire Anna Gladrey WIFE age 26 born Ashton Lancashire Mary Jane DAUR age 7 born Ashton James SON age 5 born Ashton Sarah Jane DAUR age 2 born Ashton Eliza DAUR age 6 days born Ashton

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 21 Jan 2005 13:42

think I have misinterpreted what you are looking for. Are you looking for George or his father James.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 21 Jan 2005 13:43

i don't think your rellies would have won any spelling bees!! Which makes me wonder about the legality of these name changes over time. I have families which have evolved the spelling of the name. Is this just from writing it wrong for years until you think it is the correct way? And so the children think that is the correct speling??

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2005 13:45

Hi Siobhan & Karen I've got George right thru to 1901. It's his PARENTS I need to locate. The only thing even remotely close is a James McGlathery going to the USA in 1851 but he's only 23 so a little too young by that point to have had a child in circa 1844! Hmm, definitely confused on the spelling front but from what I can gather to date none of them could write. They all sign with their mark on certificates so maybe they didn't KNOW how it was spelt! Lou

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 21 Jan 2005 13:49

Think I have also found George's father. details as follows: James McGladdery HEAD age 59 occupation a Cotton Weaver born Ireland Mary WIFE age 60 born Ireland Jane DAUR age 33 Occupation Cotton Weaver born Hurst Lancashire Ann DAUR age 28(i think) Occupation Cotton Weaver born Hurst John GRANDSON age 10 a Scholar born Hurst all living in Ashton Under Lyne

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2005 13:56

Siobhan You star! I have George as Gladdery in 1891 but never thought to look under that one cos I assumed it was a mistranscription. Do we have an address for them? Lou

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 21 Jan 2005 14:00

I couldn't work out the address. looks like bengal row, cherzon road. if you send me a message with your e.mail. I will send you the image.

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2005 14:02

Siobhan That's ok. Bengal Terrace or Bengal Square, Curzon Road. Right round the corner from where George and Emma were living (her name IS Emma, she must have just forgotton having only given birth 6 days before!). Ok...I NOW have something to work with. But born Ireland! Why do I get visions of a whole new set of nightmares trying to locate HIS birth! Thanks once again, very much appreciated! Lou