Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why Can't I Find this Death?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kate

Kate Report 18 Feb 2005 16:20

My maternal grandmother, Lily Ensor committed suicide when my father was a baby. My father was born 11/10/43 in Birmingham and has no living relatives he can ask for information and he has never been told anything else about her, except that she was buried at Witton cemetary, Birmingham, or her family. I have searched on 1837 online for the period OCT 1943 - Jun 1944 and some kind GR members have also tried. Yesterday, my mother and father visited Birmingham (we now live in North Wales) to see friends and they visited Witton Cemetary. They have a record of her burial there on 7/4/44 under the name of Lily Ensor, age 26. Can anyone kindly suggest why I can't find her death registered and where I can go from here as I really need to see the cert. Many thanks. Kate Kate

The Bag

The Bag Report 18 Feb 2005 16:23

Despite her headstone and other bits and pieces refering to Lily, have you tried Lillian as a 'proper' name? Failing that your Dad's birth cert should state her name (lily or otherwise) and then at least you will know you are searching the rght name. Jess

Kate

Kate Report 18 Feb 2005 16:36

Hi Jess, I've tried Lillian and Elizabeth and my Dad's birth cert show Lily. Thanks for suggestion anyway. Kate

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Feb 2005 16:37

It is likely that she was buried in Witton Cemetery as it was nearest where she died, so you could apply to the local register office and ask if they could search. As she was buried in April 1944 I think it most likely she died shortly before tha - if she did die in mysterious circumstances, the post-mortem would have taken place a day or so after her death. The other thing that occurs is that in 1944 the War was going on which might explain why her death registration didn't get put onto the national index. Was Ensor her maiden name and have you been able to find her birth cert? nell

Margaret

Margaret Report 18 Feb 2005 16:43

Kate Do try the local Birmingham register office for the death cert. I have managed to get two death certs recently from local offices that were not on 1837online. I have checked again since I got the certs and they definately aren't on the indexes. Margaret

Kate

Kate Report 18 Feb 2005 16:52

Thanks Helen and Margaret, I'll definitely get in touch with the Birmingham Records Office. I just assumed if she wasn't on the index then it was unlikely I could get a cert. Helen, her maiden name was Thomas and I have found an entry on 1837 which may match up. Thanks again, Kate

Margaret

Margaret Report 18 Feb 2005 16:57

Kate Its not the Record office you want its the register Office. You know the place where they record births marriages and deaths. Margaret

Jane

Jane Report 18 Feb 2005 17:03

Just a thought but if she committed suicide then there would have been an inquest. So maybe the death was registered late.

Kate

Kate Report 18 Feb 2005 17:05

Thanks again Margaret, I've just got the telephone number,and address for Birmingham Register Office. Keeping my fingers crossed they'll find it! Kate

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Feb 2005 17:12

If there was an inquest, which will be on the death cert, you should be able to find a report about both the death and the inquest in the local papers, which WILL be in the Records Office. nell

Kate

Kate Report 18 Feb 2005 17:13

Thanks Jane, didn't think of that. Thanks also Ros, I now know not to just rely on the GRO. I'm learning fast on this site, you all seem so knowledgeable! Kate

Karen

Karen Report 18 Feb 2005 20:03

Birmingham library keep a record of coroner reports seperate from the main newspaper films that can be searched. They are available on 6th Floor. Karen

Jean

Jean Report 4 Mar 2008 12:20

William John Ensor m Lily Thomas Jan/Mar 1939 6d 490 Dist.Birmingham

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 4 Mar 2008 12:47

Hi Kate,

It might be worth going back to the cemetery and asking which funeral director took care of the details, as the director {should you be able to track them } will have more information for you.

I found Birmingham and a town in Oxford held these records at the respective crematoriam and cemetery.

Absolutely worth a try!

Good luck

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Mar 2008 12:53

this thread is 3 years old now.

I see you are still a member Kate. did you ever get the cert .?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Mar 2008 14:49

WHY are people constantly digging up old threads?

There's an epidemic of it on here at the moment...............

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 4 Mar 2008 15:00

Reggie

Feeling kind....
I would say they don't understand how the boards work. They are using the search facility and then by mistake clicking on 'something' that brings them back or think they are contributing to an ongoing discussion.

Feeling mean.....
Just having 'a laugh' and thereby creating work for those who offer their expertise for free.

A lesson for all those that reply to threads (including me who had nearly been caught out in the past) check the thread date and the reply dates!

Chris

Joan

Joan Report 4 Mar 2008 20:48

Oh Darn it !!!!!!!
I fell for it too,
I saw the February date but didn't notice the 2005 .
Hoping Kate got what she was looking for.
Joan