Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What would the real name of someone called 'Jock'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hilary

Hilary Report 18 Feb 2005 21:11

Only a quick question - thanks everyone...............

Linda G

Linda G Report 18 Feb 2005 21:13

Normally someone called Jock came from Scotland. Like a Welshman might be called Taffy. Linda

Hilary

Hilary Report 18 Feb 2005 21:14

I know that but I have a choice of 2 births - Walter or John and don't know which one became known as Jock.

Linda G

Linda G Report 18 Feb 2005 21:16

No answer to that Hillary. My Dads friends name was William and they called him Jock simply because he came from Scotland. Linda

Hilary

Hilary Report 18 Feb 2005 21:18

They were brothers who were born and lived all their lives in Scotland, so it wasn't a case of an English nickname.

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Feb 2005 21:19

Grandad was known as Jock and his name was Henry. As Hilary says, could be either! Lou

Ciara

Ciara Report 18 Feb 2005 21:20

My grandparents were from Northumberland and they were called Jocks!

Debbie

Debbie Report 18 Feb 2005 21:27

My boyfriends ex boss is called Jock, when we went to visit him in scotland he was interested in family history so I asked him his name, and I was so suprised when he said William. I think Jock is just Scottish.

Shaun

Shaun Report 18 Feb 2005 21:32

Jock is the Scottish version of John, if they lived in Scotland all their days I would go for John . Shaun (in Scotland)

Dawn

Dawn Report 18 Feb 2005 21:43

I've got ancestors from Scotland called John and all their life were known as Jock. Dawn

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 18 Feb 2005 21:48

My Scots Grandfather was a John but always called Jock. Marjorie

Ellen

Ellen Report 18 Feb 2005 21:53

Another Scot here, and yes, if its not a generic nickname just because he's Scottish, its definitely John. Regards Ellen.

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 18 Feb 2005 23:37

oche aye jock mckay, well something like that.

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Feb 2005 23:39

Jock can mean any Scotsman as a nickname, but originally I believe it was used as a pet name for John, the Scots equivalent of Jack. nell

Katrina

Katrina Report 18 Feb 2005 23:44

Hi! Are you sure it is Jock and not a mistranslation of Jack. Lots of Johns are known as Jack, or it could be a variation on Jack and thus come from John. Katrina xx

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 18 Feb 2005 23:55

Jock/Joke and Jack are what some Scots John's are called. as far as I know. Marion

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 18 Feb 2005 23:55

My husband is John and family members call him Jock.....like everyone says common in Scotland for anyone called John Christine

lynnchalmers70

lynnchalmers70 Report 19 Feb 2005 13:16

hiliary, i'm looking at the official scots dictionary and i'll write what it quotes; JOCK; jock is a slang word or term of address for a scot. Many scots, however, find these usages offensive. personaly i have used this name when addressing peoples names; which are john

Peter

Peter Report 19 Feb 2005 13:49

As the name Jock is normally picked up becuse they have worked in England or with Englishmen, did eather of them work for any time south of the boarder, Odds on it will be that one if they did.