Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Greenwich Heritage Centre - Look ups offered etc

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sane Jayne

Sane Jayne Report 19 Feb 2005 15:45

The Greenwich Heritage Centre which is in Woolwich and covers Woolwich, Plumstead, Charlton, Eltham, parts of Blackheath, Abbey Wood, Grenwich and parts of Deptford has lots of info including many old photos, street maps, and parish registers. If anybody would like me to take a photo of any artifact with my digital camera and email it to you I would be more than happy to oblige, and they do permit it. They also have an idex for every piece of info they have whether it be a name or a street, building pub, school etc. So, if you give me a name or pub name for example I will see what they have. I found an interesting letter from alady who is related to me from1995esearching a gggg grandfather of mine, g grandfather of hers, and by reading this letter I have found out some other ancestors details! I just looked up in the index John Topping and it said 'folder' then in this folder was the letter the lady had written and I was able to gather some more family information. I havent got the time to trawl through years of registers but if you give me dates and names I will photograph the entry for you. My email address is [email protected] I can go on saturdays and in a couple of weeks I am on holiday so plan to go there in the week too.

Heather

Heather Report 19 Feb 2005 16:09

Thats really kind of you - I dont think I have any Greenwich connections directly - mine all in Rotherhithe down the road! But the centre sounds brilliant. I expect you will get inundated with requests now!

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 19 Feb 2005 16:38

Jayne thanks for the offer. I have been there once - very difficult to get to and ran out of time quickly. I am just vaguely wondering about schools in Deptford in the 1860-70's. If there was a list of schools with street addresses that would be useful but I expect my lot fell into the Lewisham end. Also my Grandmother came from Deptford 1903 would be nice to find out what school she went to. thanks, Selena PS Heather - my other lot were from Rotherhithe!

Dawn

Dawn Report 19 Feb 2005 16:54

Hello Jayne I have just discovered that an ancestor of mine lived at 193-195 City Road Deptford in 1901. It was 'The London Assurance Tavern'. I wonder if they have an old photo of the place? The building is still there today, as I 'googled' it. Another pub family members ran is 'The Duke' 125 Creek Road SE8. If you see anything, I would be so grateful!! Kind Regards Dawn... P.S. The family name is Perry

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 19 Feb 2005 17:01

I didn't know about this place and would be quite interested in visiting. Can you tell me where it is, how to get there. My Father's side of the family were in Plumstead and I understand my Great Grandfather Charles Henry Evans built a lot of the roads in the area. His father ran a pub in Glyndon Road which I have been told is now a buddist (?spelling) temple.... My Lewis ancestors and my Salter ancestors were also in Plumstead Sylvia

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 19 Feb 2005 17:02

Is there anything on the surname CHISWICK/CHISSICK/CHESWICK 1840s-1870s?Anything on the surname PERREN/PERRIN 1820-1850s? Please help if you can! Chloe

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 19 Feb 2005 17:49

Thank you My gGrandparents were married at St Nicholas parish church in 1881. It would be great to have an older photo of this if possible. They lived at 8 Pender Street at the time of their marriage. I wonder if there are any old photos of this street? It is really good of you to offer this but don't worry if it is too much -I'm sure youwill be inundated with requests! Alice

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Feb 2005 17:51

Jayne Yes please! I will e-mail you privately as this board doesn't accept e-mail addresses. I would be interested in anything you can find out about this address: Dwelling 19 Nelson Buildings Census Place Greenwich, Kent As it is where my grandmother was living with her mother, step-father and brother in 1881. My step grandfather was JOHN GARVIE and he was an engine driver, so any clues about where he would be working would be great. Grandmother's name was ANNIE ELIZA MATTHEWS. Cheers nell

BrianW

BrianW Report 19 Feb 2005 19:06

Any thing on the Jesson family who were in deptford from the 1750's or before until about 1875 would be great. The earliest Jesson I have was a stonemason (and his son too), so maybe some of his work survives?

Sane Jayne

Sane Jayne Report 19 Feb 2005 21:13

Nudge

Lucky

Lucky Report 19 Feb 2005 22:17

Hi Jayne, A bit of a longshot. I have a John Seabrook on 1841 cambs census. Says he was born Blackheath. Could you look up the Seabrook name and see what they have please. Would be lovely to go back further on this one Thanks Diane

Sane Jayne

Sane Jayne Report 20 Feb 2005 10:59

Nudge

Heather

Heather Report 20 Feb 2005 11:09

Dont know if this is too vague Jayne, but I remembered I did have some in Deptford! Wondered if you could see anything on the Acton, Baizley and Babcock families in Deptford. I have a marriage of Thomas Baizley and Sophia Acton Deptford c1795 and John Acton with Sarah Babcock 21.5.1765 at St Pauls Deptford. Many thanks anything you can see.

Patricia

Patricia Report 20 Feb 2005 11:28

Hi Jayne, I wonder if it would be possible for you to look up the records of Greenwich Union Workhouse for me please? I am interested in any info on Eliza Amelia Warren (nee- Jay) she was listed as an inmate there in the 1901 census. Her husband Alfred Warren died in 1898 so I'm not sure when she became an 'inmate', before that in 1891 census they were living with their two sons Alfred Jonathon Warren and Thomas James Warren at 29 Creek road Deptford. I think the 2 sons were not put with their mum but sent to The South Metropolitan School in Sutton. I haven't been able to get anymore info on the family after this except Thomas's marriage in 1913. I feel very sad about this part of my family and wish to know more, but understand you may have loads to do so don't worry if you are too busy With thanks and regards Pat

Sane Jayne

Sane Jayne Report 20 Feb 2005 21:51

Nudge

Lynne

Lynne Report 20 Feb 2005 22:08

Hi Jayne, thanks for the offer.I have ELIZABETH Jane RICHARDS born 1865 Greenwich. Parents Charles and???I cannot find them and therfore can go no further with this line. She married WILLIAM THOMAS WATTS in 1887 in Southwark, London.A witness at their wedding was Ellen, could she have been a sister?? regards Lynne

Heather

Heather Report 20 Feb 2005 22:31

Have you seen this in the 1871 re Elizabeth Jane? Emma Castin 26 Deptford, Kent, England Wife Greenwich London Thomas Geo Castin 2 Greenwich, Kent, England Son Greenwich London William Castin 26 Lewisham, Kent, England Head Greenwich London William Castin 3 Greenwich, Kent, England Son Greenwich London Anna Maria Hart 62 Middlesex, England Head Greenwich London Elizabeth J Richards 7 Blackheath, Kent, England Grandchild Greenwich London Ellen Maria Richards 8 Blackheath, Kent, England Grandchild Greenwich London Looks like you could have mums surname there - Hart? and sister Ellen, her witness.

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 23 Feb 2005 11:20

Can I bother you with another thing for your list? This is so vague that I doubt there is anything to find. Mum remembers visiting her granny in the 1930/40s at a shop in St Alfege's Passage. She can't remember if the shop was a launderette or a sweet shop!!!! Grans name was Caroline Bateman (nee Shell). If there is anything on Shops in St Alfege Passage that would be great. Sorry to be so vague, Selena