Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is this my mary Ann and James cox? - Lou and lyla

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 23 Feb 2005 15:52

Also Geograpyh lesson and opinions needed Lewisham area. I Think I may have cracked part of a longstanding brick wall but am not quite sure!

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 23 Feb 2005 15:54

No message attatched ??????/

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 23 Feb 2005 15:58

I was looking on 1837 0nline and realised that at last I could search for James Cox Blacksmith in Lewisham by name and occupation at last. I did a search in Kent ans came up with this: COX, James Head Married M 26 Blacksmith Thetford Norfolk VIEW COX, Elizabeth Wife Married F 28 Sydenham VIEW COX, Charlotte Daughter Unmarried F 4 Greenwich Kent VIEW COX, Elizabeth Daughter Unmarried F 2 Greenwich Kent VIEW COX, Mary Ann Daughter Unmarried F 0 (UNDER 1) Chislehurst Kent It is Mary Ann I am interested in - she says on the 1901 and 1891 that she was born in Lewisham - I know Sydenham and greenwich are not far fron there but where is Chiselhurst in relation to this??? Please say it is near!! - Or could she still have thought she was born in Lewisham? Alice

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 23 Feb 2005 15:59

Sorry Linda Got carried away! Here they are without James in 1871 - all born in Greenwich! Charlotte Cox 15 Greenwich, Kent, England Daughter Greenwich London Elizabeth Cox 44 Greenwich, Kent, England Head Greenwich London Emily Cox 4 Greenwich Daughter Greenwich London James Cox 12 Greenwich, Kent, England Son Greenwich London Mary A Cox 10 Greenwich Daughter What do you think?

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 23 Feb 2005 16:09

I looked on multimap, not being familiar with 'that there down south' as we northerners say. Chislehurst is a small village south east of Lewisham. I wonder what registration district it is in. It is closer to Bromley than any where else.

Wendy

Wendy Report 23 Feb 2005 16:11

Chislehurst is in the London Borough of Bromley. It is quite close to Mottingham, which comes under both Bromley and the London Borough of Greenwich. Hope this helps. Wendy

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Feb 2005 16:14

From Genuki: Bromley Registration district Created 1st July 1837. Sub-districts : Beckenham; Bromley; Chislehurst; Orpington. GRO volumes : V (1837-51); 2a (1852-1930). Beckenham, Bromley, Chelsfield, Chislehurst, Cudham, Downe, Farnborough, Foots Cray, Hayes, Keston, Knockholt, Mottingham (from 1887), North Cray, Orpington, St. Mary Cray, St. Paul's Cray, Sidcup, West Wickham. Registers now divided between Bromley and Tunbridge Wells districts. Chislehurst is a few miles south of Greenwich. nell

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 23 Feb 2005 16:51

thanks everyone - Lets hope little Ernest Allison is mistranscribed with his Grandparents when (and If)i manage to find them in 1891. Thanks for your help the other day Lyla. I think someone did put forward this family as a possibilit the other day. Alice

The Bag

The Bag Report 23 Feb 2005 22:59

5.7 miles away according to autoroute - thats Lewisham to chislehurst close enough i guess! jess

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 23 Feb 2005 23:09

Must be her I reckon! Witnesses at wedding were Stephen Fitch and Phillis Palmer. At this point they don't mean a thing.... I really want it to be her. Her Dad was born in Norfolk - he would be my ggGrandad My first real Norfolk rellie - Guess where I live! Alice

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Feb 2005 23:13

Alice Brilliant, you've cracked them at last! Seeing your on a roll now, would you like to tackle some of mine and Lyla's brickwalls! Lou

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 23 Feb 2005 23:18

Yep lou, I'll have a go at anything now! Put details on....I'll have it all sorted within the next decade! Alice

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Feb 2005 23:20

You've given me an idea actually....off to search by name and occupation on the 1861 census. Back in a bit!!! Lou

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 23 Feb 2005 23:25

Hope Lou has some luck. It just shows that often you only need One small piece of information to crack it. I see 1837 online have other areas of the 1861 coming online soon - If it's searchable by occupation it's a great help and really narrows the field. Alice

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 23 Feb 2005 23:31

Had a look at the site and was going to go for it - then I thought about the info I had - James Allison born somewhere ( anywhere!) In scotland, father James! I also read something about no online certs after 1854 and I think he was born 1855. i think I will have to see if i can find his death at sea and Naval rcords. He left wife and son so there may be benefits paid to them and maybe a more accurate record of where he was born. What i need is a census searchable by fathers name and occupation in Scotland!

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Feb 2005 23:32

Not a one! Still, suspect they're actually hiding in Essex so will have to wait for that to come online!

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 23 Feb 2005 23:38

Lou Is Essex on Familyhistory? I have some spare credit if you find any one and want me acess them Alice

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Feb 2005 23:41

Hi Alice I was on there earlier and don't think they had the Essex census. Excellent burials records though, put loads of mine 6ft under tonight (the churchyard is positively heaving in Harwich now!). I've put a request on the Recs Board but this is the 3rd time and nothing so not sure whether anyone on the site has even got it! Lou

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 23 Feb 2005 23:48

Think you may be right. I have an Essex branch and I don't think I got replies for a census request. It will be great when i'ts on 1837. Alice

Heather

Heather Report 24 Feb 2005 08:07

Pleased to hear a success story! By the way my dad lives in Chislehurst and it would be an easy journey from Lewisham even back then as there is a rail station.