Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

old wills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annie

Annie Report 1 Mar 2005 22:57

Does anyone know how I can get access to Wills that were made years ago, is there a site? Annie - Southampton

Mermar

Mermar Report 1 Mar 2005 23:24

Hi Annie - Me again Wills for 1834 to 1858 are online at The National Archives site. www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Kate

Kate Report 1 Mar 2005 23:32

It goes back much further than that!!

Annie

Annie Report 1 Mar 2005 23:47

Amazing.... how do you know all of this, I've only just started and I'm just baffled by everthing but have a 96 year old granddad who really wants to know what happened to his family.. bless him. We were in the Records office in Southampton when we found his Mother and her brother and sisters and his grandparents.... and he cried, I wasn't prepared - I should have known, as he's missed them all his life, but I just can't find his mothers marriage to the husband - they were Music Hall Artists.. I just hope he doesn't 'pop off' before I can find them - he's amazing... love him to bits. annie

Annie

Annie Report 1 Mar 2005 23:50

Hello me again, and thank you both so much for the info... just gone onto the site and dont know where to go to find wills - can you point me in the right direction please? I look on other documents - ? annie

Julie

Julie Report 1 Mar 2005 23:51

Hi Ann Could they of change their name. I had the same sort of problem. my rellies were on the stage. they had used there stage name after they were married. All their future children were registered by this. Julie

Mermar

Mermar Report 1 Mar 2005 23:51

Hi - Kate is quite right - I've been on here all night and I am going cross eyed! The wills are from 1384 not 1834. My apologies There is a site for the entertainment sector which is quite good at www.thegalloper.com. You might get lucky. You could also post the details you have and see if someone can help. What names are you looking for?

Annie

Annie Report 1 Mar 2005 23:52

Well I'll keep that one in mind... but I can't actually find the will section on the site.. just needed some direction where to click. Annie

Annie

Annie Report 1 Mar 2005 23:54

OH DEAR... That means I definitely won't get any sleep - talking to you guys (girls) makes me even more excited... I can't go now! Annie I'll take a look

Mermar

Mermar Report 1 Mar 2005 23:55

Go to Home/Getting Started/Family History and then under Family History documents (and just underneath in red - online) you will see the Wills mentioned and click on GO at the end of the sentenc.

Annie

Annie Report 1 Mar 2005 23:57

Thank you Mermar... I'm just on the Galloping web site - it's for Europe, so hope that's the one you were telling me? annie

Annie

Annie Report 1 Mar 2005 23:58

Just a quickie, Did people make wills in those days - was it something that was really important to them? Just wondering what my chances will be like? Annie

Mermar

Mermar Report 2 Mar 2005 00:01

It is possible you will find a will - they didn't necessarily have to have a lot to leave. I don't think you are on the right site! It is the galloper not the galloping! What names are you looking for and I will check for you.

Annie

Annie Report 2 Mar 2005 00:03

Amazing lady, thank you Annie Alice Clark - they were in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne in 1901 and listed as Music Hall Artists. and James Clark - I think he was 32 in 1901. He was listed at some stage as a Professional Bagpipe artist. Can't wait to hear. Also, I think they would have done something in southampton as well. - perhaps the hippodrome (not sure tho)

Julie

Julie Report 2 Mar 2005 00:07

Hi Ann Have to tried contacting the theatre museum in london. they were a great help to me. I will send you a direct message with there email address, as it wont let me put it on the board Julie

Annie

Annie Report 2 Mar 2005 00:09

THANK YOU EVERYONE... Just to tell my granddad some of his parents life would be great one day, as long as he stays with us... I think I'll go sick tomorrow, want to go to the archives in southampton. Thank you so much Annie Awaiting to hear from Mermar - she is looking on the Galloping site for me now.

Mermar

Mermar Report 2 Mar 2005 00:26

Hi Annie - Sorry no luck. There are lots of Clark's and Clarke's but no James or Annie. Hopefully you will have some luck with the other site that was mentioned. I had a quick look at the 1891 census but unfortunately James Clark is such a common name it is going to be difficult to find him without any further info. Feel free to email me with any details you have and I will see what I can find. I am off to bed now and won't be on line again until Thursday evening but I could have a look then for you.

Annie

Annie Report 2 Mar 2005 00:33

Thank you so much Mermar, I would certainly like to keep in touch, you have been so helpful... I will see what I can do with the other email address that Julie gave me... it's all been very helpful. I've learnt a lot tonight. I'm going to have a sickie tomorrow so I can go to the acrchives...

Heather

Heather Report 2 Mar 2005 08:25

Ann, if you go to the home page of this site you will see on the right hand side new to research links which will give you lots of info about where, how and what is available.