Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1861........Just incase.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 2 Mar 2005 19:44

.......... you didn't know but now the ENTIRE 1861 england and wales census is ONLINE via the 1837 web site. Previously it was just London........Happy searching .

Tay

Tay Report 2 Mar 2005 19:48

Deborah Where did you find that out , ive just looked on the 1837 site and its still showing as the London areas that are on 1861. Deb x

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 2 Mar 2005 19:53

From BTYAHOO'S UK news.......... I hope they haven't got it wrong .....!! Wednesday March 2, 01:23 AM 1861 census online for first time The UK's passion for family history has been given a boost with the launch of the oldest census available online. For the first time, the entire 1861 census for England and Wales is being made available online by the family history website www.1837online.com. The census provides a detailed picture of what life was like for people living in Victorian England and the website also allows visitors to see who lived in their house in 1861. A trawl of the London and South East data reveals 13 lamplighters, 61 lightermen and three gas lamplighters, and 635 butlers. There were six people with the first name March, two Aprils, 1,863 Mays (including one called May Ball), 364 Junes, 55 Julys, 174 Augusts and three Septembers. There were 14 men named Albert Hall, a Donald Duck and 18 Mary Christmases. Website visitors can discover where people like Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins and William Gladstone were living at the time. Florence Nightingale, for example, was residing at 30 Old Burlington Street, London, on the night of the 1861 census. The data shows that she lived with a servant; her occupation was recorded as 'formerly hospital nurse'; she was born in Italy; was unmarried and she was 40 years' old. Downing Street is also included in the census and, while Lord Palmerston, the PM of the time, was not in residence that night, the names and details of other people who were are listed.

Steven

Steven Report 2 Mar 2005 19:54

The stupid media got it wrong again... the news reports today were really just a press release by 1837online to draw attention to the London and home counties records that have been on for a while. However, most reports were misleading and seemed to suggest that the ENTIRE census is up and running

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 2 Mar 2005 19:56

Ahhhhhhh your right Steve .......... I should have gone and looked at the web site first. 1837 do say this: The counties that are currently available for you to search are: London Middlesex Kent Surrey We will be adding new counties over the coming months, to keep updated with the latest counties loaded please register; I did think how odd I'd not had an e mail LOL!! Sorry chaps I meant well

Wendy

Wendy Report 2 Mar 2005 19:57

From 1837 online website: Coming next: Essex Lancashire Yorkshire Worcestershire Wendy x

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 2 Mar 2005 20:12

I guess the idea is to reduce the demand when it comes online for real? Their hoping that the amateurs will get fed up with no hits on their names so they'll loose all interest in this Genealogy lark and leave the site free for us nutcases!

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Mar 2005 20:16

well its had some sort of result - the server is totally hammered !

Margaret

Margaret Report 2 Mar 2005 21:39

I for one, intend to wait for Ancestry in May. I have no intention of paying 30p per household when I already have a subscription to Ancestry. I can wait, my ancestors are not going anywhere. Margaret

Steve

Steve Report 2 Mar 2005 22:00

right you are margaret! i will wait until may for ancestry, not the conning website called 1837 online, for everyone whos searched and found absolutely nothing, they should refund everyone. They must have made loads over this. I for one am using family relatives.org for all my searching, least i will find lots of my relatives.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Mar 2005 22:03

I'm not sure whether I was doing anything wrong with the 1861 on 1837 online but I couldn't find a single person, despite knowing that they have to be there. I too will wait for ancestry. At least then I can play around with variations of the name, birthplaces and ages without having to pay 30p each time to find out that one name in the household matches, the other 20 don't! Lou

Margaret

Margaret Report 2 Mar 2005 22:06

I have put this on other threads on the subject. I had a researcher do my family in London some time ago. It was cheaper than doing it myself. I have a printout from the 1861 census. They are in St George Hanover Square, in Central London. They are not on 1837online version, supposedly fully transcribed. RIP OFF Margaret

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 2 Mar 2005 22:11

The press release says 'the entire 1861 census for England and Wales *is* being made available online', not that it *has* been made available. As for me, it will depend who gets my counties online first. I need three. Hopefully Ancestry will win as I have a new shiny card which I think they can accept ... and then I shall take out the free trial and spend many a contented hour slumped in front of the computer.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Mar 2005 22:12

Margaret That's interesting cos the ones I am most certain of where they are are around SGHSq and I have received 0 results on surname, occupation and birthplace Lou

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 2 Mar 2005 22:59

I checked on there and found one, George Budle born Newington and in 1861 he was 999 years old!! Pity he could not have gone on for another 200 years, as maybe he could have helped me break my brick wall !! lol Kim :-0

Margaret

Margaret Report 2 Mar 2005 23:39

Kim Who do they get to transcribe these things? Complete idiots? 999 years old. It would be funny it it wasnt so bloody stupid. Margaret

Heather

Heather Report 3 Mar 2005 07:45

I wonder if it would be worth us all sending a complaint that we have spent our dosh and found no info when we know them to be there? They say complete but obviously its not and I wasted a lot of units and time trying variations of names which brought up zilch.

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 3 Mar 2005 08:06

I have found at least 2 of my families on the 1861 via 1837. I admit one was very badly transcribed The head was a Mary Ann...... and wife Clemintine Myra. I knew this was my family as the Clementine bit was right. When I looked at the original the Head my gg grandpa Julian Shirlock Bult HICKS was CLEARLY written as such. I e mailed them straight away and 2 days later they e mailed back saying thanks they have corrected it.......but like the 999 year old makes you wonder who the blind idiot was. Much happiness Debi