Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Richard Carter Hickton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dea

Dea Report 9 Mar 2005 16:06

Does anyone have a connection to Richard Carter Hickton c 1860? Please get in touch. Regards, Dea.

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Mar 2005 16:09

Dea Hichton or Hickton? And what do you want to find out about him? It's more likely that people on these boards can help you find information about him, than that they will actually be related. Have you done a name search to see if he is in anyone else's tree? nell

Dea

Dea Report 9 Mar 2005 16:12

Hi again nell, It is Richard Carter Hickton but I believe it may have been mistranscribed (never !!!!!) as Richard L Hickton. - This is why records seem to have gone astray. Any help appreciated. Regards, Dea.

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Mar 2005 16:22

Where and when have you found him so far? nell

Dea

Dea Report 9 Mar 2005 16:32

Hi nell, I need to look into my piles of papers but just off hand - he was born c 1860 - died 1900 - Nantwich, Cheshire - aged 40. Lived in Crewe and Monks Coppenhall. He is named as father on my husbands grandmother's marriage cert. - She was Ethel Hickton born c 1899 - married John Wilson in 1920 in Salford, Lancs. There is a connection to the Cumberland Arms in Monks Coppnhall, Crewe where he was landlord. - In 1901 his widdow Sarah Louisa (Richardson) was landlady. - by 1912, she had passed the license on to Stephen Chesters Hickton (Richard's Brother). Lots of info - Can you help?? Regards, Dea.

Slinky

Slinky Report 9 Mar 2005 16:54

Found Richard Hickton entry.... Dec Quarter 1859 Northwich 8a/229 Anne

Dea

Dea Report 9 Mar 2005 17:00

Yeah, Thanks Honey Rum - this is Richard Hickton but I can't prove it is Richard Carter Hickton. - Help !!'! Dea.x

Thelma

Thelma Report 9 Mar 2005 17:00

Another member is researching this name. See name search.

Dea

Dea Report 9 Mar 2005 17:02

Sorry Jim - 'a bit thick' what do you mean - see name seach??

Slinky

Slinky Report 9 Mar 2005 17:07

Think the only way to see if it is the one you want is to check out the St. Catherines Index or send for the cert, stating the parents names check. Anne

Slinky

Slinky Report 9 Mar 2005 17:13

Just brought it up on Ancestry and it gives the same birth as I gave before and Richard Carter as dying in Northwich.....both places are very close and I would take a chance on it being the same person....there is no other entry that I can find for him in Cheshire. Anne.

Dea

Dea Report 9 Mar 2005 17:14

Hi Honey rum, Where did St. Catherines come from?? Dea x

Thelma

Thelma Report 9 Mar 2005 17:15

Dea at the top of the first page on this board 'quick search' member thomas 1927400

Slinky

Slinky Report 9 Mar 2005 17:31

Check at your local library for your nearest place that holds the St. Catherines Index, to search for Births, marriages and deaths from 1837 to present day near enough. Anne.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 9 Mar 2005 18:34

I would guess that it ties in with this on http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk: Cheshire Birth indexes for the years: 1859 Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Reference HICKTON Richard Middlewich Cheshire Central MI/09/044 Unfortunately still no middle name mentioned, even though these sites normally do. The ref will be a link to a part-completed application form. Fees as for GRO, but the GRO ref is irrelevant at the local offices - though the quarter might be useful. Christine

KiwiChris

KiwiChris Report 9 Mar 2005 19:46

Be wary of Thomas member 1927400, he does not answer messages and I have just spent a number of frustrationg weeks getting a several of my living family members removed from his tree. If you can get an answer, he might have some info but in my experience he just takes other peoples research and adds it to increase his numbers. Christine in NZ

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 10 Mar 2005 19:10

The Richard born 1859, someone has added him to their family tree here: remove the *'s http://worldconnect.rootsweb.**com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=throbinson90&id=I2428 This family has a Stephen Chesters Hickton in it too!! His father's family seems to have had a son - or someone had a son by the name of 'William Carter Hickson'. Carter appears to be his grandmother's surname. It's all in the above link.

Dea

Dea Report 10 Mar 2005 19:13

Thanks Chloe - It's Thomas Robinson who has him in his tree - Unfortunately he does not reply to e-mails. Thanks for the info though, Regards, Dea. x

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 10 Mar 2005 19:18

Sorry, Dea, but this might well confirm that the 1859 birth that the other found is your man. My gg grandfather was born Elijah Daniel Newman, but he dropped his middle name on both of his other certs.

Dea

Dea Report 10 Mar 2005 19:22

Thanks Chloe + others - I think you are right. - I am working on it. Any assistance appreciated. Regads, Dea.