Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Llanfihangel-ar-Arth Carmarthenshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 15 Mar 2005 18:07

I have managed to find where my Gt Grand Parents were living in 1901. I know Lazarus Kelman and Mary Agnus Glithero married in 1901 in May at Aberystwyth S Wales. What I would like is if anyone could find out the address in Llanfihangel-ar-Arth, and their occupation. This would be one less mystery of mine Thanking you Susan

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Mar 2005 18:29

Susan I'm confused. You say you know where they were living in 1901. If you have them on the census you must have their occupations. If you are wanting a house number, they weren't that common in country villages. nell

Susan

Susan Report 15 Mar 2005 18:35

Hi Nell My apologies for the confusion!! I do not have the 1901 Census, all I have is information from a relative, and was hoping someone could be helful Susan

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Mar 2005 18:41

So you're asking for a 1901 census lookup? I can't find them in the 1901 index on the official site and my ancestry doesn't appear to have Wales. Hold on I am sure someone else can help.

Susan

Susan Report 15 Mar 2005 18:43

Thank you yes, would appreciate a look up. I felt I could not just write I want a look up, sorry!! Susan

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 15 Mar 2005 18:53

Hi Susan Found Mary Agnes in 1891 Living at 47 to 51 Crown Street Manchester SAMUEL GLITHERO HEAD 46 BEER HOUSE KEEPER MARY GLITHERO WIFE 48 EDITH E GLITHERO DAU 15 MARY AGNES GLITHERO DAU 8 JOHN JOYCE STEP SON 15 Source information: RG12/3247 Registration district: Manchester Sub registration district: St George ED, institution, or vessel: 25 Folio: 106 Page: 30 (click to see others on page) Could her husband have been born in Russia? Regards Cheryl

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 15 Mar 2005 18:56

Hi Susan Just found this Name: GLITHERO, Mary Agnes Record Type: Births Quarter: March Year: 1883 District: Manchester (1837-1924) County: Lancashire Volume: 8d Page: 309 (click to see others on page) Found this on the 1891 Wales Census: Name: Kelman, Lazarus Age in 1891: 19 Relation: Lodger Gender: Male Where Born: Russia Civil parish: Mold Ecclesiastical parish: Mold Town: County: Flintshire Source information: RG12/4609 Registration district: Holywell Sub registration district: Mold ED, institution, or vessel: 5 Folio: 48 Regards Cheryl

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Mar 2005 18:59

This is the marriage ref if you want to order the cert, which will give Lazarus' occupation and both his and Mary's father's names to confirm you have the right families when you do find them on censuses. Name: Glithero, Mary Agnes Record Type: Marriages Quarter:June Year: 1901 District: Aberystwyth County: Cardiganshire Volume: 11b Page: 75 Aberystwyth is the registration district, it doesn't mean they married in Aberystwyth, which is not South Wales, its on the West coast. Aberystwyth, Broncastellan, Clarach, Ceulan-y-Maes Mawr, Cwmrheidol, Cyfoeth-y-Brenin, Cynnil-Mawr, Elerch, Haminiiog, Henllys, Issayndre, Llanafan, Llancynfelin, Llanddeinol, Llangrwyddon, Llanilar, Llanrhystyd, Llanychaiarn, Lower Llanbadarn-y-Croyddin, Lower ****Llanfihangel-y-Croyddin****, Lower Vainor, Mefenydd, Melindwr, Parcel Canol, Rhostie, Trefeirig, Tyr-y-Mynach, Uchayndre, Upper Llanbadarn-y-Croyddin, Upper Llanfihangel-y-Croyddin, Upper Vainor This Llanfihangel-y-Croyddin, Cardiganshire, is NOT your Llanfihangel-ar-Arth, Carmarthenshire. Are you sure you have the right addy for them? nell

Susan

Susan Report 15 Mar 2005 19:08

Thank you both very much.Yes Lazarus was from Russia. I did have the information, but thank you for your time. I was just hoping that they might have appeared as a married couple living in Llanfihangel-ar-Arth, just outside Carmarthen. Thanks again to you both Susan

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Mar 2005 19:15

This appears to be Mary's birth: Name: GLITHERO, Mary Agnes Record Type: Births Quarter: March Year: 1883 District: Manchester (1837-1924) County: Lancashire Volume: 8d Page: 309 nell

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 15 Mar 2005 19:28

There is an Aberystruth in Monmouthshire which would be South Wales ..... Could it have been misheard or mistranscribed? Sioux

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Mar 2005 19:30

The info about the marriage is from Ancestry which has Lazarus and Mary Agnes' wedding in the Aberystwyth registration district. nell

Susan

Susan Report 15 Mar 2005 19:38

Sioux Llanfihangel-Ar-Arth, or Yeroth was a parish, in the union of Newcastle-Emlyn, higher division of the hundred of Cathinog, county of Carmarthen, South Wales 12 miles N by E from Carmarthen . Here endeth my geography lesson!! Susan

Peter

Peter Report 15 Mar 2005 19:52

Just had a look at the place on a map and even today there is only 30/40 houses in the Village. the surounding area sugests mainly farming, I could see no sign of a Mine in the area (but dose not meen there was not one some years ago) to the east is the Brecons this is high moor land and there are or were sevral Quarrys in that area (I was in that area in the late 60s)

Susan

Susan Report 15 Mar 2005 20:04

I lived in Carmarthen up until 1966, and Llanfihangel-Ar-Arth I used to call Pencader. At one stage their was 1,922 inhabitants living there I have been informed is that it is now a holiday area.. Thank you all for your help and input Susan

Peter

Peter Report 15 Mar 2005 20:25

must of been a memrable year for you Susan. I was there 2 years after Aberfan and we drove past the Village on the way to the Brecons, some thing I'll never forget, but you were in away just up the road from it or had you left by then

Susan

Susan Report 15 Mar 2005 20:31

Peter, I had left Carmarthen just a couple of months before the tragedy struck. I remember going to my new school, kids being kids and I was taunted by them, such cruel remarks. I walked out of school told my dad, who rang the head up and said I was taking the rest of the week off. I had relatives who went and helped, such a sad sad day for Wales. Susan

Ria

Ria Report 15 Mar 2005 20:39

I lived in Aberystwyth for 3 years whilst I was at university 1998-2001. Wonderful place but I needed more action so moved back to Shrewsbury. :) Maria

Geoff

Geoff Report 15 Mar 2005 21:02

I've actually spent a weeks holiday at Llanfihangel-ar-Arth at a place called Waunifor. I remember the swimming pool was covered by an inflatable dome and there were several power cuts that week.