Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Found wonderful site

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian in Aylesbury

Gillian in Aylesbury Report 25 Mar 2005 11:21

Have you seen the web site www.buckscc.gov.uk/bucks_prisoners. If you search all prisoners you get a great list and some of them have a picture of the prisoner. Just looked at a couple: Emma Catherine Crosby, Age: 14, Place of Birth: Shadwell, Occupation: Domestic Servant ,Date recieved: 19 February 1874, Crime: Stealing Mince Pies, Sentence: 21 days. Many more especialy youngsters. Well worth a look.

Smiley

Smiley Report 25 Mar 2005 11:28

Thanks Gillian, I'm off for a look. You can rid of all your () by the way, that website has gov in it, so you will not have a problem posting it see.... www.buckscc.gov.uk/bucks prisoners That link isn't working, are you sure the last bit of the address is right?

Smiley

Smiley Report 25 Mar 2005 11:31

www.buckscc.gov.uk/bucks_prisoners This works Or straight to the list of prisoners, as there are only 2330 listed www.buckscc.gov.uk/bucks_prisoners/prisoner_list.asp 2 MONTHS.... FOR STEALING A HEN!!

Gillian in Aylesbury

Gillian in Aylesbury Report 25 Mar 2005 11:54

Thanks Smiley Sammey. Not very good with web addresses Gill

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 25 Mar 2005 12:16

a 68 yr old woman was sentenced to 3 months for concealment of birth !!!!

Gillian in Aylesbury

Gillian in Aylesbury Report 25 Mar 2005 12:27

My husbands Great uncle is on there aged 13 Crime: stealing sugar: sentence 14 days. It would appear that he had a partner in crime as at the same date is a Henry Ladyman aged 16 Crime: stealing sugar, Sentence 14 days. Both lived in Quainton. Looks like William was led astray by an older friend! Gill

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 25 Mar 2005 12:27

George York got 21 days for destroying his own clothes !?!?!?

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 25 Mar 2005 12:50

GEORGE wILLIAMS Had his tongue cut out by pirates about ten years ago !!

Gillian in Aylesbury

Gillian in Aylesbury Report 25 Mar 2005 13:10

If you look at the ones 'on the tramp' they come from far and wide: Angus, John age 23 from Manchester 1 month for stealing 2 blankets.

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Mar 2005 13:24

Those of you with Glozzie relatives may like to know that Gloucester Records Office website has a searchable genealogy index which includes the Gloucester gaol register. If you find an entry, they will send you a photocopy for a small fee. The photocopy will give you details of the crime, result of the trial, a physical description of your rellie (sometimes quite detailed) and an indication of how well-behaved he/she was. nell

Chelly

Chelly Report 25 Mar 2005 14:19

Hi Gillian I think the site is great, wish they had one for Wandsworth Thanks Shirley

Slinky

Slinky Report 25 Mar 2005 14:26

Does anyone know if they have one for Yorkshire? Anne .

Catherine

Catherine Report 25 Mar 2005 14:42

Wow, what an interesting site. Amazing to see how times have changed! 7 days for stealing peas!!! I wonder what the sentence would be for pinching Argos pens!!! :-S Almost wish one of my rellies was on there, just to see their picture!! Cate :))

Gillian in Aylesbury

Gillian in Aylesbury Report 25 Mar 2005 14:44

Pretty Green Eyes i have emailed you re google Gill

Sophie

Sophie Report 25 Mar 2005 15:40

what a great site! just been on it and found 3 posibilities of rellies that could be in my tree!! One was for stealing wine and damaging a fence (provides pic), stealing a belt (provides pic) and assault! It even provides pictures aswell which makes it even better Recommend to all out there with buckingham rellies!! LMP :)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Mar 2005 15:49

Great site - could spend ages just looking at the crimes and photos. Would recommend it to anyone with (dodgy!!)ancestors from Buckinghamshire. Kath. x

Heather

Heather Report 25 Mar 2005 17:40

Boy am I jealous of any of you with Bucks rellies! Surely the East End must have something similar? (Or would theirs take up too much website?)

Gillian in Aylesbury

Gillian in Aylesbury Report 25 Mar 2005 19:03

If you look further on the site it gives what their meals would have been: for someone sentenced for up to fourteen days the fare was: Breakfast and supper - 1 pint of oatmeal gruel & six ounces of bread. Dinner - 12 ozs of bread (for males) 6 oz of bread (for females) and 1 pint of soup PER WEEK if at hard labour. They also had to work 10-12 hour days starting at 5 in the morning.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 25 Mar 2005 19:14

Just take a look at John Crouch aged 26. Thats why couples stayed together through thick and thin, nothing to do with duty, just scared they'd get banged up!