Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have you lost a whole family in a census??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 6 Apr 2005 00:10

I had - and managed to track them down by looking for their neighbours and then looking at the neighbours' neighbours (if you see what I mean!). A family of BARRONs had been transcribed as BARROWs because the enumerator's final letters often had flamboyant curlicues, thus making N look like W. - Christine

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 6 Apr 2005 00:15

I had a missing family on the 1881 - the address I thought they lived at was described as 'uninhabited'. When I finally looked at the CD for 1881 (rather than the 1881 on line), there they were! Marjorie

JosieByCoast

JosieByCoast Report 6 Apr 2005 00:17

spot on, same thing has happen to me several times Brooker was Broker and I can't remember the other ones apart from the one on ancestry.com Garnham, again traced it like you and would you believe it, it was spelt right on the image.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 6 Apr 2005 07:58

It worked for me because this particular family (and their neighbours) didn't move about much, so they were at the same address each time. It doesn't work for migrant workers. A paternal g-grandfather was a labourer so he seems to be somewhere different each time. I found him on the 1871 census (via ancestry, where you can look at the image) but can't find my g-grandmother. Not even by using first name and date+place of birth. Glad if this has helped someone. You do need to have access to the images, though, for it to be a reliable technique. Christine

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 6 Apr 2005 08:37

Morning, I have lost my Lockhart family 1901 census. I know they lived at Orchard manse /manse Orchard Dalserf,Larkhall Lanarkshire. I tried on Scotlandspeople and none of their names are coming up. The site didnt have 1901 covering that area.So annoying, as I would have been able to confirm the 9 kid's I think they had. Can any of you tell me if this means there is no 1901 for Dalserf, or is it just not on Scotlandspeople? I have to go out soon so if anyone can answer I might be a wee while getting back to you. Thanks Marion

~Little Ray of Sunshine~

~Little Ray of Sunshine~ Report 6 Apr 2005 08:42

That's a crackin idea..... i'll give it a go! c x

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 6 Apr 2005 09:12

I lost a family of Heseldine's - you'll never guess what I found them as..... Hargile! Esta found them for me. They'd been transcribed as part of the family living next door lol

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Apr 2005 09:42

Yes, but I found them on 1901 by searching for first names, dates and place of birth which I fortunately already knew. Most of the time they have been mistranscribed. If its a small village you can go through the whole place to find them, provided they haven't moved. I like to do this anyway (or check the neighbours either side as you can on the 1881 on LDS site) as it gives you an idea of the place they were living in. One village in Norfolk had lots of ag labs, a pub, a shop, a grand house and a poor man living in a cowshed. A kind of microcosm of the class system! nell

Pat

Pat Report 6 Apr 2005 11:00

I eventually found my Seed family in 1891 when I looked under Leed. It's a great feeling when you realise they're there, isn't it? Pat

Sara

Sara Report 6 Apr 2005 14:58

I spent over a year looking for a family on the 1881. I eventually found them, The enumerator had put down the head's forename as his surname and his surname as his forename. Consequently the whole family were transcribed with this forename as their surname! Sara

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Apr 2005 23:27

Tracey If you give us some clues about DoB & Place o B for Elizabeth Selina COBBETT & Francis Thomas RAYMENT - and, perhaps, where you thought they were supposed to be - or where they were for the next census - someone might spot them and let you know! Christine

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 7 Apr 2005 23:35

And I have just remembered my other family, missing on the 1881, should have been born and living in Lancashire. They were - but birthplace had been transcribed as LANARKSHIRE! So missing Lancs rellies may be found by entering Lanarkshire on the 1881 LDS. Marjorie

J

J Report 7 Apr 2005 23:42

Hi I managed to find my Preens on the 1901 census eventually but had to go through the images of lots of different parishes before I found them. When I did find them they were as clear as day but nobody had even bothered transcribing them. I did the normal looking for the christian name and age but couldnt find them. Even after finding them and being able to put more info into the search it wouldnt find them . I could understand it if they were on a page that was difficult to read but no it was as clear as day. Julie

George

George Report 8 Apr 2005 11:35

I have half a family missing in 1901 and have tried every possible method to find mum and two daughters, I now believe they were on the moon, lol George If anyone comes across by accident an Ellen O'Hanlon, 41, b IRE, and her girls Catherine, 13/12, and Minnie, 11/10, both born Middlesbrough. Then let me know :~)

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 8 Apr 2005 23:31

This looks like her birth: Name: Cobbett, Elizabeth Selina Record Type: Births Quarter: September Year: 1876 District: Pancras (1837-1901) County: London Middlesex Volume: 1b Page: 190 Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 8 Apr 2005 23:40

Where does this one fit in??? Name: RAYMENT, Francis Taylor Record Type: Births Quarter: March Year: 1893 District: Chelmsford County: Essex Volume: 4a Page: 516 Christine

Karen

Karen Report 9 Apr 2005 23:50

I have noticed that in the next issue of Your Family Tree mag there will be an article on persons missing from the census. Comes out May 13th.

Carol

Carol Report 10 Apr 2005 00:06

I had lost a family of VAUGHAN on the 1871. I then tried a first name of one of the children, a year of birth and place of birth. Found the whole family transcribed as VOUGHT

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Apr 2005 00:06

I have found my gg grandmother (aged 8) visiting an elderly lady down the road in one census. As for my Johnson g grandfather - why did he never use his rather unusual forename of Gifford?? He renamed himself Sidney - and with a wife called Annie or Mary (whichever suited her fancy) - they made life very difficult!!! maggie