Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

why cant i find him

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kim

kim Report 12 Apr 2005 08:56

pleas help i have marridge cert for john belton married florenece hook may 1901,jons father is samuel address given is 12 compton place but the family isnt there, flos family address is handel street have them there,cant find johns birth or connection to a samuel, john is not on any census from 1881(marridge cert gives us this date have searched 10 eithers either side of this date), cant find no samuel that i can tie to him, either job, address,there is no birth cert to be found,have now got death cert, but no relevant info, hospital he was in only have admision date,he died at 1 bexley lane dartford 23 oct 1937 aged 56 again approx same birth date,even found a sam belton with a servant, tried lookign for more info on them and cant find them in1891, have no leads to go on as to wher ei can find john or his father, pleaseeeeeee any help ideas or suggestions besides give up appreciated here,have been on this same man over 5 years now thought i had him when i got death cert last week, but he just doesnt want to be found, dont even know where he is buried can anyone help here please

The Bag

The Bag Report 12 Apr 2005 09:03

where are compton St and Handel Place? I'm confused - who died aged 37 in 1937, John or his father samuel? If it is john, and he died in 1937 aged 37 cant see how he got married in 1901.. I know i am easily confused tho! ~Jess

kim

kim Report 12 Apr 2005 09:12

sorry jess this man has nearly worn me out,its info on john im trying to find, marridge cert says he was born about 1881,marrid in may 1901, he died in october 1937, handel street and compton are in st pancras area islington, this man cannot be found before his marridge cert, i know he fathered 11 children and has turned up dead in 1937, samuel the father was an engineer on marridge cert,only one i can find in census doesnt tie in, have looked at maybe john wasnt born john as well,but he was marrid it and died it, but even difrent first name doesnt tie in ,hope i havent confused you even more . sorry jess :( xx

The Bag

The Bag Report 12 Apr 2005 09:14

Not more, just helped to see the wood for the trees How can he have died aged 37 when he was born in 1880's? I think you have the wrong death cert * KIM HAS CHANGED HIS AGE AT DEATH -

kim

kim Report 12 Apr 2005 09:14

sorry typing error, see what this man has done to me lol,thanks jess sorry georgina

The Bag

The Bag Report 12 Apr 2005 09:21

what age is he on his marriage cert please This is from 1901, father and son correct- ages obviously wrong tho Alice Belton 7 North Kensington Daughter Kensington London Elizabeth Belton 32 Marylebone, London, England Wife Kensington London John Belton 5 North Kensington Son Kensington London Samuel Belton 38 Marylebone, London, England Head Kensington London

kim

kim Report 12 Apr 2005 09:29

on marridge cert john is given as 19, florence 18,this was in 1901,hadnt seen them ones in 1901 know ages not right there but may lead me somewhere gona have look now brb cheers jess keep coming with any ideas please family history says they all came from st pancras,islington

The Bag

The Bag Report 12 Apr 2005 09:29

worth considering maybe 1891 Belton, Alice Jane 6 Deptford, Kent Daughter St Paul Deptford London Belton, Catherine 42 Ellingham, Norfolk Wife St Paul Deptford London Belton, John 43 Swanscombe, Kent Head St Paul Deptford London Belton, John 12 Elsham, Kent Son St Paul Deptford London

kim

kim Report 12 Apr 2005 09:48

thanks jess dont think its them but not ruleing anyone out have saved images and going to go through them thoroughly might have been transcribed wrong somewhere along the way,i hope !!

Janice

Janice Report 12 Apr 2005 12:13

Found a John Belton aged 9 son of Samuel and Lois, living in Norfolk in 1891. They could have moved to London after 1891. Janice

kim

kim Report 12 Apr 2005 16:48

thanks janice , can you give me some more to go on here please

The Bag

The Bag Report 12 Apr 2005 16:54

Just looked for a lois belton in Norfolk in 1891 - blowed if i can see them!

kim

kim Report 12 Apr 2005 16:56

jess you have made my day, if they keep dissappearing from you too, its not just me they want to hide from thanks for that jess,:)

The Bag

The Bag Report 12 Apr 2005 17:06

Right, his age was given as 19 in 1901, so 1901-19 = born 1882, give or take one or two. So thats John Belton born 1882- father Samuel - from marriage cert. Any idea of his mother's name? _________________________________________________- census 1891 John belton, 1882 +/- 2years = Belton, Anest John 10 Brasted, Kent Son Brasted Kent Belton, Jno Haynes 10 Willingham, Lincolnshire Son Austerfield Yorkshire Belton, John 10 IRL Son Great Crosby Lancashire Belton, John A 11 Lambton, Durham Son Newbottle Durham Belton, John H 7 Malton, Yorkshire Son Yedingham Yorkshire Belton, John R 8 Bullington, Lincolnshire Son Swinderby Lincolnshire Belton, John W 8 Sheffield, Yorkshire Son Ecclesall Bierlow Yorkshire

kim

kim Report 12 Apr 2005 17:23

nope no mother name , wife florence, john belton approx 1881 was employed as coach smith labourer , his father samuel in 1881 was employed as mechanical engineer,no other info for them, any help appreciated jess thanks again

The Bag

The Bag Report 12 Apr 2005 17:25

so have you found his father in 1881? where?

kim

kim Report 12 Apr 2005 17:37

no no father found in 1881, as we dont know anything else bout him other than name and job on cert, did look closely at a samuel belton living with matilda mccabe as his servant,in drummond street pancras, sam then was a widow,thought matilda may have been johns mum as in later census she was down as wife but they didnt marry however there was a john mccabe born 1881,in wandsworh even got the cert thinking the servant and the boss were at it, but came back as mother was mary mccabe formely murray and father of john mccabe was john mccabe was sure it was him but again another knock back

Janice

Janice Report 12 Apr 2005 23:40

Kim, Sorry, been out all evening and only just got in. Felt a bit spooked because I couldn't find them again!!! Did another search and it was right names but 1901 not 1891. Sorry for getting your hopes up. Back to the drawing board! Janice