Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hand held microfiche readers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 17 Apr 2005 11:06

HI Has anybody had any experience in using one of these? I don't know whether to buy one or not, and would be interested to hear what they are like to use in comparison to the full size models. Pauline

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 17 Apr 2005 11:09

Hi, I have one. It's OK for reading just the odd record on a fiche (like a members' interest fiche from a FHS) but a real pain if you want to search everything on the fiche (Like a census index). I gave in eventually and bought a big one. It's impossible to look at the fiche and read write at the same time and the fiche wobble about. Gwynne

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 17 Apr 2005 11:15

Hi Gwynne Thanks for that. Where did you buy your full size one from, and what sort of cost is involved? Pauline

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 17 Apr 2005 11:34

Hi Pauline, I can't remember the name of the firm. I found him in a family history magazine. He sells second hand fiche readers which he reconditions and sells on. When I bought mine he had them starting at around £40. I paid £120 for one that folds down into a briefcase-sized case that I can push under the bed when not needed. He gives a warrenty on them. If I can find the paperwork I'll post his name. Gwynne

Lucky

Lucky Report 17 Apr 2005 11:47

Hi Guy I bought from I think was called CrosTrading. He advertises in family history mags and I believe has a website. I paid £60 for a reconditioned one.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 17 Apr 2005 11:47

That's the one! Great bloke, great service. Gwynne

Lucky

Lucky Report 17 Apr 2005 11:49

Yes . We went to his house to pick it up as it was one a bit cheaper he liked you to see what you got for your money. I'm sure if you googled you would find him. Diane I've just come across his details. 01487 740063

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Apr 2005 14:06

I bought one from ebay for £2.99 and £14 postage - it had said it needed some work so that put people off - all it needed was a clip adjusting

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 17 Apr 2005 14:28

Hi Pauline, Why don't you look on e-bay. I have just bought a fold down briefcase one for £40. It is brilliant. There are always lots of different ones on there. Jenny

Steve

Steve Report 17 Apr 2005 14:29

Once you have a fiche reader, any place you can purchase fiche to transcribe for others. I'm thinking of becoming OPC for the whole Plymouth area. I'm 23 years old mind lol

Carol

Carol Report 17 Apr 2005 14:34

Some family history societies have fiche for sale.

Steve

Steve Report 17 Apr 2005 14:35

Any examples? (names of websites etc)

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 17 Apr 2005 14:46

Hi Steve, Put '*name of county* family history society' into google and check their publications list. Gwent, for example, do loads. It is also possible to buy parish records on fiche from county record offices. Gwynne

Steve

Steve Report 17 Apr 2005 14:49

I've searched. They sell then for parish records before 1837 as after 1837 it is the permisson of the Registar General. I'll have to search for cd's

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 17 Apr 2005 14:52

Hi Steve, Family history societies only index pre 1837 marriages in county because after that they are on the GRO index and easily available. Gwynne

Steve

Steve Report 17 Apr 2005 15:27

I wouldn't say easily available, parish registers are easier. they do have parish registers after 1837 in the case of baptisms/burials which the GRO does not have.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 17 Apr 2005 15:36

Hi Steve, It's much easier in that I live in the Midlands and can search the GRO for marriages etc in Monmouthshire after 1837 very easily - Online or at the LDS which has the GRO index. To search before then I have to go to Cwmbran or get the film at the LDS if it's been filmed. Gwynne

Steve

Steve Report 17 Apr 2005 15:41

But you get what I mean don't you? For baptims/burials the GRO is useless.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 17 Apr 2005 15:49

Hi Steve, I agree that you won't get baptisms or burials via the GRO index. But for births and deaths the GRO is usually better - you get mother's maiden name on a birth certificate which you don't always with a baptism. And sometimes people are baptised in adulthood. I've also seen batches of five or more children baptised at once with no indication of the birth year. If you're lucky enough to live near where your ancestors came from then parish records are wonderful but I would still want the certificates. Belt and braces - that's me! Gwynne

Martin

Martin Report 17 Apr 2005 16:09

Many libraries will allow you to view your own fiches on their viewers. I sometimes take MI fiches down to the library so I can print out the plan of the cemetery before a visit. MB