Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone any ideas - Maples furniture store London?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trudy

Trudy Report 19 Apr 2005 14:40

Hi, am trying to trace records for Maples furniture store in London during early 1900's - more specifically 1930 onwards - I am told by my aunt that my great grandfather worked there during this time, but if I 'google' it all I can seem to get are modern day furniture stores - anyone any idea how I can find out and maybe get some info from them? PS His name was John Small, he came from Little Staughton, beds and I believe he must have been one of the first commuters travelling every day by train to his job at Maples from Bedford!! Thanks Trudy

Sandra

Sandra Report 19 Apr 2005 14:49

Hi I have an idea that Maples was in Regent Street, London. Sandra

Gigi

Gigi Report 19 Apr 2005 14:55

Hi Trudy, My husband worked for Maples at their Torquay, Plymouth & Exeter stores. I'll ask him tonight when I see him. Gillian

Trudy

Trudy Report 19 Apr 2005 15:20

Many thanks to both of you - I suppose what I am really after is a 'peronnel' type place that might have old records.

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 19 Apr 2005 15:28

Apparently it was on Tottenham Court Road. These websites have a bit on the store's founder, Sir John Blundell Maple(1845—1903): www.ucl.ac.uk/wibr/3/building/history/maple.htm www.bbc(.)co.uk/radio4/history/making_history/makhist10_prog13b.shtml

Trudy

Trudy Report 19 Apr 2005 15:30

thanks Richard

Katwin

Katwin Report 19 Apr 2005 15:31

Hubby says it was in Tottenham Court Road at the bottom end near the Euston Road. Thiinks it maybe Habitats now. Kathyx

Trudy

Trudy Report 19 Apr 2005 15:34

Hi does anyone know whether it just ceased trading, or whether it became part of another furniture group? I know I'm grasping at straws, but i really would like to get some info on this?

Gigi

Gigi Report 19 Apr 2005 15:35

Trudy, Maples was taken over by another company but can't remember who. Husband will know all!! Gillian

Trudy

Trudy Report 19 Apr 2005 15:36

Thanks Dea, anyone any ideas what local papers would have been available then?

Linen

Linen Report 19 Apr 2005 15:40

Hi for that area I would try The Evening Standard. Maples was a very prestigious furniture maker & retailer. Might even have made the nationals Vivienne Yes, don't know who took over who but they became Maples, Waring & Gillow.

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 19 Apr 2005 15:42

Found it! - in the Times online: April 19, 1972: ''Maples to close store and HQ in July''. Was redeveloped apparently. The closing-down sale was scheduled for May 6th. message me with your email and I'll send you the article. Richard

Trudy

Trudy Report 19 Apr 2005 15:59

Richard have messaged you privately. Thanks

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 19 Apr 2005 16:34

Trudy, If you do find any personnel records I would be very interested as my great grandfather, Thomas Hooper Daniels worked for Maples (probably about the same time as your one). My mum has a large sideboard which she told me came from Maples as her grandad worked there. I will ask her on Thursday if she can give me any more details (although her memory isn't as good as it was). Carolyn

Trudy

Trudy Report 19 Apr 2005 16:35

Hi Carolyn - my aunt seems to think that the dresser she has also came from Maples originally, but we're not sure!! If I find any info I'll let you know.

Gigi

Gigi Report 19 Apr 2005 20:12

Trudy, Not good news. Maples ceased trading after a management buyout in the early 1990s. Beforehand they were bought by Asda who kept some of the properties. I don't know where to suggest looking for the records I'm afraid. Gillian

Pauline

Pauline Report 19 Apr 2005 20:24

It is possible that old files may have been depostied with the local archives. Try A2A.

Linen

Linen Report 19 Apr 2005 22:28

Trudy, Maples furniture was usually stamped with their name. Try looking on the inside of doors or under drawers. If I remember rightly it's in a sort of egg shape. Vivienne

Trudy

Trudy Report 20 Apr 2005 10:06

Thank you to everyone for all your help on this. Trudy