Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice Required Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 2 May 2005 09:34

Hi I have been trying!!!! to find information on my Gt Grand dad. He was from Russia!! problem, I have gone through hundreds of passenger lists, naturalisation papers and no sign of him!! He first appears in 1891 in Mold as a 19yr old lodger from Russia. BUT in his obituary, it states he is a native of Manchester!! Lazarus Kelman Any advice much appreciated. Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 May 2005 09:43

Sue I expect the obit just meant he had lived in Manchester most of his life. Although his surname implies he is of foreign origins, are you sure the original image says 'Russia' and if so are there any other clues as to whereabouts? Do you have him in 1900 and what place of birth does he give there? Have you got a marriage cert for him with his father's name on? nell

Susan

Susan Report 2 May 2005 09:46

Hi Nell Yes I have him in 1901 his marriage, but not on a Census though!! His marriage certificate states his fathers name as the same as his. On the 1891 census it does state from Russia. I can not find anything else about him except for those two entries!!! Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 May 2005 09:51

Sue What was his occupation on his marriage cert and where did he get married? nell

Susan

Susan Report 2 May 2005 09:55

Nell without moving from my seat (one gets glued to it when on GU !!) he was married I beleive June Q1901 Aberystwyth, he was also baptised into the catholic faith prior to his marriage. He was a travelling salesman, of men's suit material I think' The other little snippet I have, is that he was a keen bowler, a fisherman and a member of RAOB Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 May 2005 09:59

Hi Sue - The name and occupation sound as though he may have been a Russian Jew before his conversion.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 May 2005 10:05

Sue Well as he was a travelling salesman I suppose previous to his wedding he could have been living ANYWHERE! I couldn't find any likely Kelmans, but searching the 1901 index for Lazarus aged 29 +/- 1 year born Russia I got a list of 50. Eliminating the unlikely professions, there are these - I've been quite broad and kept in any Lancs connections and anything to do with clothing: Lazarus ... 28 Russia F S London Finisher Tailor Lazarus Altshurer 28 Russia Russian Subject Yorkshire Leeds Fabric Merchant Lazarus Bacur 28 Russia Russian Sub Lancaster Tailor Lazarus Barnett 29 Russia N K London Tailor Lazarus Bloom 28 Russia Foreign Sub London Mile End New Town Tailor Machiner Lazarus Bloomberg 30 Russia Liverpool West Derby Lazarus Bluch 30 Russia Russian Lancaster North Manchester Shoemaker Bootm Lazarus Edelson 30 Russia London Limehouse Tailor Lazarus Flax 28 Russia London Whitechapel Tailor Lazarus Gold 28 Russia F London Mile End New Town Tailors Machinist Lazarus Goldfirt 30 Russia F York Leeds Tailors Machinist Lazarus Hyman 28 Russia London Spitalfields Tailoress Presser Lazarus Jacobs 29 Russia Russian Subject Glamorganshire Canton Tinksmith Lazarus Josephswitz 30 Russia Russian Subj London Bethnal Green Boot Manufacturer Lazarus Kealson 28 Russia Russian Lancaster North Manchester Tailor Lazarus Koskopsky 28 Russia Russian Subject London Mile End Old Town Tailors Presser Lazarus Levis 28 Russia Russian Subj Lancaster West Derby Master Tailor Lazarus Lightman 28 Russia Russian Subj Yorkshire Leeds Tailor Presser Lazarus Marks 30 Russia Forn Subj Birmingham Birmingham Tailor Dress Maker Lazarus Miller 28 Russia Russian Subject Lancaster Cabinet Maker Lazarus Needleman 28 Russia London Mile End Old Town Mantle Tailor Lazarus Pachman 30 Russia London Spitalfields Tailors Presser Lazarus Richards 29 Russia F S Lancashire Southport Pedler Drapers Lazarus Rokovsky 30 Russia Russian Subject London Bethnal Green Boot Finisher Lazarus Rosofsky 30 Russia Russian Subj Liverpool Liverpool Draper Lazarus Sachadoff 30 Russia Russian Subject London St George In The East Ladies Tailor Lazarus Salman 28 Russia Russian Sub London Mile End New Town Tailor Lazarus Shroff 28 Russia Lancaster North Manchester Painter Lazarus Taper 30 Russia N K London Bethnal Green Boot Finisher Lazarus Wenger 30 Russia London Spitalfields Boot Maker Lazarus Yellion 28 Russia Russian Subj London Lambeth Tailor nell

Susan

Susan Report 2 May 2005 10:09

Hi Wendy That is what the family have been led to beleive. There was a story but no proof mind, that there were about 6-7 brothers left Russia.Prussia some settled here others USA, ST Africa Canada, but who knows!!! The worst part and this brings tears to my eyes, is that there was a photo album, all his paperwork, various odds and ends that he kept, when he died his eldest son had everything. Then when his son died everthing disapeared from the house, right down to the last tea spoon., so when other family membes travelled to his place they were met with an empty house. No one knows who took everything I am thinking that Manchester played a vital role in Lazarus's life. I feel he met his future wife there, and the family moved to be near the sea as one of them had chest , breathing problems. But where is he As even two of his sons left home(Wales) to live in Manchester Sue

The Bag

The Bag Report 2 May 2005 10:13

What about the Kealson One, who was he with? I actually can't find him on 1901...?

Susan

Susan Report 2 May 2005 10:18

I have even contacted the Rusian Consolute, was told to contact the red cross!! I thought that he might have been working with his inlaws(they owned a pub in Aberystwyth) but found nothing Sue

The Bag

The Bag Report 2 May 2005 10:21

Found this 'possible' in wales Thomas Coulean abt 1880 (french subject), France Servant Bangor Caernarvonshire >>Lazarus Kaltman abt 1875 (foreign subject), Russia Visitor Bangor Caernarvonshire Mar Kerrna abt 1884 (foreign subject), Russia Visitor Bangor Caernarvonshire Archibald Lawless abt 1887 Carnarvon, Bangor, Caernarvonshire, Wales Son Bangor Caernarvonshire Hilda Lawless abt 1886 Carnarvon, Bangor, Caernarvonshire, Wales Daughter Bangor Caernarvonshire Jane C Lawless abt 1861 Carnarvon, Bangor, Caernarvonshire, Wales Wife Bangor Caernarvonshire Michael John Lawless abt 1852 Ireland Head Bangor Caernarvonshire Theresa Lawless abt 1894 Carnarvon, Bangor, Caernarvonshire, Wales Daughter Bangor Caernarvonshire Patrick Mchoan abt 1874 N k, Durham, England Visitor Bangor Caernarvonshire Bridget Rooney abt 1879 Ireland Servant Bangor Caernarvonshire Occupation Fur traveller address RED LION INN

Susan

Susan Report 2 May 2005 10:31

Thank you all for your input, it is very much appreciated. I think I will have to put this on a back shelf (with others) for the time being. One day you never know I might just get some where with him!! Thanks again Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 May 2005 10:38

Don't give up now!!!! nell

Susan

Susan Report 2 May 2005 10:54

Nell I really don't want to give up but this brick wall is getting to me. If only I had a sledge hammer!!! Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 May 2005 10:56

Sue - where I live there are quite a few associations for people from abroad. I would imagine in Manchester there must be quite a few of them, they may even hold records. If nothing else you might find family of friends of your relly that might have photos or passed down memories to share. Synagogues might be able to help as well. As Nell said - don't give up now - have an adventure!!

Susan

Susan Report 2 May 2005 10:58

Wendy Thanks for that, I had not thought of trying the Synagogues. Will give google a bash Cheers Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 May 2005 11:03

Let us know if you ever find him ??

Susan

Susan Report 2 May 2005 11:15

I sure will, as I will be doing cartwheels by the dozen, In my mind though!!!!! Sue