Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

if born just after 1901 census how do you find the

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clair

Clair Report 2 May 2005 23:13

gt grandmother madeline meikle born just after 1901 census, we know she was disowned from her family and died age 28 when my grandmother was 1 year old, dont really know anything about her apart from where she is buried, need to find out what i can for gran before its too late! can anyone lead me in the right direction. married sept 1922 age20, died feb 1930 age 28. both newcastle upon tyne.

The Bag

The Bag Report 2 May 2005 23:18

have just looked for her birth on ancestry and cant find it. do you know where she was born? Did she have brothers and sisters?

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 May 2005 23:21

How sure are you (without her birth cert) that she was born after the 1901 census, or that she was 28 when she died? There's this: Name: Meikle, Magdalen Record Type: Births Quarter: December Year: 1899 District: Brecknock County: Breconshire Powys Volume: 11b Page: 74 Do you know which part of the country she came from? nell

driven insane!!!

driven insane!!! Report 2 May 2005 23:23

could this be her? the spellings a bit different~ MADELINE MICHEL 1902 WEST HAM ESSEX

Ken

Ken Report 3 May 2005 08:49

Why not get a birth certificate,and go from there. Also get the cert for your grandmother as well. Find their details from the central records, it may take some time to trawl the index, but it will be worthwhile. Also you may find her family on the elect roll, if you know where they lived, again it means a a trawl.

Clair

Clair Report 3 May 2005 10:12

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE INFO AND TIPS YOUVE GIVEN, IVE TRIED TO APPLY FOR BIRTH CERT IN NEWCASTLE WHERE SHE WAS MARRIED AND DIED BUT THEY HAD NO RECORD. I FOUND A MADGE MEIKLE BORN IN FARNHAM IN THE SAME TIME SCALE AS I AM LOOKING, WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF MADELINE BEING MADGE IN THE BIRTH RECORDS?

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 3 May 2005 10:20

Clair - who does it give as her father on her marriage certificate? Chloe x

The Bag

The Bag Report 3 May 2005 10:23

Although you know little about her as she died so young - would anyone know if she had brothers and sisters? If we could find a family group in 1901 - despite her obviously not being yet born - we could start to place them geographically. jess

Clair

Clair Report 3 May 2005 10:41

ON HER MARRIAGE CERT WILLIAM MEIKLE OCCUPATION DENTIST IS HER FATHER, IVE FOUND WILLIAM MEIKLE IN 1881 LIVING IN GATESHEAD WITH WIFE JANE AND DAUGHTER SARAH BUT HAVE NOT YET FOUND A MARRIAGE FOR THESE TO SEE IF HE WAS MARRIED TO JANE WHEN MADELINE WAS BORN. need to log off now will be back on at tea time if anyone has any advice where i should look next

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 3 May 2005 12:04

Are you 100% that she came from Newcastle area? If she was 'turned out' by her family, she might well have not been from Newcastle but settled there in later life.

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 3 May 2005 12:09

1901 for William Meikle, still a dentist. Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Image Maggie Fletcher 23 Newcastle - on - Tyne Servant Byker Northumberland Frederick Meikle 14 Newcastle - on - Tyne Son Byker Northumberland William Meikle 41 Newcastle - on - Tyne Head Byker Northumberland Address - 17 Shields Road West William is still down as married, but no wife about. It is strange as to why they didn't want her anymore. Do you know the reasons behind it, or who she was brought up by? I was thinking that MAYBE she was the illegitimate daughter of William and Maggie Fletcher, the housekeeper..... if that's the case, maybe she was registered under the name Madeline Fletcher?? Even though FreeBMD is NOT complete, there was this on there. When was your grandmother born? Newcastle T covers Byker. Births Dec 1901 ----------------- FLETCHER Madeline Newcastle T. 10b 168 In 1891 - (mistranscribed as Mickle) 13 Shields Road West, Byker William Meikle, 31, Dental Surgeon, Newcastle on Tyne Heaton Harriett , 32, , (possibly) Warwickshire Frederick A , 3, , Newcastle on Tyne Chloe

Christina

Christina Report 3 May 2005 18:49

CLAIR I often go to central records at Newcastle library - I maybe going on Saturday - if you need any information just let me know. Christina

Clair

Clair Report 3 May 2005 20:35

HI EVERYONE THANKS FOR REPLYING. SHIELDS ROAD I THINK IS WHERE WILLIAM MEIKLE HAD HIS DENTIST SURGERY? THE REASON HER FATHER TURNED HIS BACK ON HER IS BECAUSE SHE GOT HERSELF PREGNANT FATHER UNKNOWN? IT IS INTERESTING THAT FLETCHER IS NAMED IN THE CENSUS BECAUSE SHE GAVE THIS CHILD FLETCHER AS A MIDDLE NAME? I THOUGHT THIS COULD HAVE BEEN TO DO WITH THE FATHER BUT I WILL NOT KNOW UNTIL I FIND OUT WHO MADELINES BIRTH MOTHER IS HER MOTHER COULD HAVE BEEN FLETCHER. MADELINE DIED WHEN MY GRAN WAS ONLY 1YRS OLD AND HER FATHER NEVER TALKED ABOUT HER SO MY GRAN ONLY HAS A FEW PHOTOS, I FOUND WHERE SHE WAS BURIED LAST YEAR AND TOOK MY GRAN IT WAS THE FIRST TIME I HAD EVER SEEN HER CRY (BUT WITH HAPPINESS)

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 3 May 2005 21:16

Well, it's a possibilty if you can't find a birth for a Madeline Meikle. Maybe Madeline was the illegitimate daughter of William and the housekeeper but was brought up by William. I can't find Harriet on the 1901. It's just a possibilty. Something to look at if there is definitely no birth for Madeline Meikle.

Clair

Clair Report 3 May 2005 21:26

YOU MAY BE RIGHT CHLOE, COULD SHE HAVE BEEN BORN FLETCHER THEN GIVEN HER FATHERS NAME AT A LATER DATE I DONT THINK ITS A COINCIDENCE THAT MADELINE GAVE HER CHILD THE MIDDLE NAME FLETCHER AND AROUND THE TIME MADELINE WAS BORN HER DAD HAD A YOUNG WOMAN NAMED FLETCHER WORKING IN HIS SURGERY? CLAIR

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 3 May 2005 21:42

Back then you could change your name willy-nilly!! Perhaps after Madeline was born, Maggie was dismissed, and the family kept Madeline giving her the surname of Meikle. When it comes to ancestors, you've always got to keep an open mind! LOL. Chloe

Clair

Clair Report 3 May 2005 22:44

IM GOING TO LOOK INTO THE FLETCHER CONNECTION IT LOOKS MORE LIKELY MADELINE CAME FROM FLETCHER SOMETIMES YOU NEED AN OPINION FROM DIFFERENT PEOPLE TO SEE WHATS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT NOW THE MORE ITS STARTING TO MAKE SENSE, ITS THE FIRST TIME IVE USED THE TIPS BOARD AND IM SO GLAD I DID I THOUGHT I WAS AT A DEAD END. JUST WAITING FOR THE NEXT CENSUS TO BE RELEASED MIGHT BE TOO LATE FOR MY GRAN, IT TOOK JUST ONE PHONE CALL TO FIND MADELINES RESTING PLACE AND MY GRAN DIDNT KNOW YOU COULD EVEN DO THAT, SHE SAID IF I NEVER FOUND ANYTHING ELSE OUT SHE WAS HAPPY WITH WHAT I HAD DONE BUT I KNOW I CAN DO MORE. IM SO GRATEFUL TO EVERYONE THAT HAS HELPED HOPEFULLY I WILL GET A RESULT, I WILL LET YOU KNOW. CLAIR

Clair

Clair Report 3 May 2005 22:52

CHLOE JUST THINKING WOULD IT BE POSSINLE FOR ME TO APPLY FOR MADELINE FLETCHERS BIRTH CERT DEC 1901 AND SEE WHO HER PARENTS ARE?

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 4 May 2005 07:45

Of course it is!! Just in case there are others, I'd have a look on the GRO indexes to see before you order (via FamilyRelatives.org or 1837online). Only to be on the same side. To order certs online go to http://www.gro.*gov.uk/gro/content/certificate/index.asp#0 Just remove the *