Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

latter day saints, help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kate

Kate Report 6 May 2005 18:55

i was looking on LDS for a relations birth in the hope of finding his parents (Scotland). it gave me date but no parents only name of spouse,i know its the right one. any ideas on how to find his parents? it said some thing about looking in the family history library catalogue.

Suzy

Suzy Report 6 May 2005 19:18

Hello Kathleen You could find out the nearest LDS Family History Centre to you - they are all over the country. I haven't been to one, but I understand that you may be able to get more information from the microfiche held there. Go onto the LDS site; into Library and then Family History Centres. Type in where you live and you'll find one close to you, I'm sure. All the best. Suzy

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 6 May 2005 20:08

Do you live near Glasgow -there`s one in the west end. Rosalyn

Ann

Ann Report 6 May 2005 21:03

Hi Kathleen, I have been to my local LDS to do research. They have loads to look at, and the staff are very helpful. Take as much info as you can with you. I found quite a bit out about my scottish rellies. Go you will be glad you did. Ann

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 May 2005 21:08

If you are in Lancashire there is one in Chorley.

Kate

Kate Report 6 May 2005 23:41

I hate to say this, but if it only has name of spouse then whoever put it up on the LDS website didn't have the parents' names, otherwise they would have put those up too. You might be better off looking on Scotland's People and see if you can find him on there. I am assuming that the record on the LDS website is 'added by a member of the LDS church' or something similar. Why not put the details up on here so we can see if we can help? I'm just thinking that if it has a birth date and name of spouse on the LDS website they probably guessed the birth details so may have it wrong! Kate.

Kate

Kate Report 7 May 2005 14:18

hi kate, ive trawled scotlands people and can get nothing, im looking for leslie stewart born according to lds 1784 in rothesay bute. there is a film number given by lds but thats all. i have his marriage on lds and scots people and they match up, do you think just taking that film number to one of the lds centres might find me his right birth? kate in fife

Kate

Kate Report 7 May 2005 14:47

nudge

Judith

Judith Report 7 May 2005 14:59

I looked Leslie up on familysearch and see that there are dates of birth and christening for the children but just year of birth for Leslie and his wife who is 'Mary or Marion'. As it is a submission by an LDS member I'd like to bet that they found a series of baptism entries for the children, some naming mother as Mary others as Marion and have (probably correctly) assumed they are a family group . The dates of birth for Leslie and Mary are not the usual guess of 21 or 25 years before the first child, in fact they have him aged 40 and her 30, so they must have got this info from somewhere - most likely burial records which would have given their ages at death. I doubt whether they were born, or even married, in Rothesay - I'd guess it only states 'of Rothesay' because that's where the children were born and probably where the Leslie and Mary were buried. If they had been born there surely the member would have found their baptism and marriage records in the registers. The film of this member's submissions is unlikely to have any info which isn't on the website, but it would be worth going to a Family History Centre to see if you can order filmed records for Rothesay and the parishes round about. Good hunting Judith

Kate

Kate Report 7 May 2005 17:28

hi judith, im going to a centre hopefully on monday so will do as you suggest and order some films. how would they have the burial records when i cant find them?

Val

Val Report 7 May 2005 17:46

Why don't you go to the Mitchell Library in Glasgow don't know what they have but should have all documents

Judith

Judith Report 7 May 2005 18:27

We don't know for sure that the submitter DID have burial records, only surmised from the fact they seemed to know year but not exact date of birth/baptism. They may have found burial records in a register, or seen transcriptions of monumental inscriptions, or visited a graveyard or have a family bible or other document with the burials recorded. For example I have old family diaries diaries which record lots of deaths, marriages etc. Judith

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 7 May 2005 19:09

Kathleen The LDS very rarely film burial records - they believe that bodily death is unimportant. The County Records Office is more likely to have any burial records. Marjorie

Kate

Kate Report 7 May 2005 22:07

thanks to everyone who posted threads, will keep you informed how i get on kate

Sally

Sally Report 8 May 2005 13:01

Hi there I think the ages might have been derived from Census data. On Freecen* the 1841 census has a Leslie Stewart aged 55 ( ages in 1841 were usually rounded down to nearest multiple of 5 ) wife Mary 45 and children at Mill Street , Rothesay , Bute. Leslie is from Ireland according to this. * http(.)freecen(.)rootsweb(.)com Also in the 1851 census , same place : Leslie is aged 67 , still from Ireland and Ma(r)y pob is Ardchattan , Argyllshire. Have you looked for a death cert on scotlandspeople for Leslie ? If the above is the correct family then he only needed to live 4 more years for his death to be in the period of statutory registration and the death cert should name parents - provided someone remembered their names. Best of luck Sally

Sally

Sally Report 8 May 2005 13:30

I did a little google and I think there is someone else who has been researching this family : http://archiver(.)rootsweb(.)com/th/read/ButeshireGenWeb/2001-10/1004535311 Maybe you could contact them to see if they managed to confirm the parents and grandparents ? Best of luck Sally

Judith

Judith Report 8 May 2005 14:53

have you tried this at all.....search for IGI batch numbers (possibly enter the county name) it should bring up a freepages.genalogy.rootsweb.com click on that. It will allow you to see what church records they have for that area...if any. I've used it a lot although im no expert, i soon got the hang of what was going on. You can usually check for christenings and marriages.

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 8 May 2005 15:06

Kathleen-the Mitchell Library is closed for renovations. Rosalyn