Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tribal Pages - opinions please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 22 May 2005 15:15

I have just had a brief look at Tribal Pages (took the tour, you know, like any other groccle). It looks too good to be true. Please could I hear comments for and against from other users. I already keep my tree off-line on my computer, but have started to worry about what happens if I have a disasterous crash. This seems like a good back up, and the ability to link in photos etc seems great, also being able to direct other people to the site, if I choose. Is there a down-side? Is it really secure? Tina

Lynne

Lynne Report 22 May 2005 15:20

Tina I have mine on there and I think it's brilliant and so easy to set up. Have you had a look at anyone else's tree? If not, I will send you my username and password in a PM so you can see mine. Lyn

Rachel

Rachel Report 22 May 2005 15:36

Hi Tina, I have my tree backed up on the tribal pages. One great thing is you can have a page for free. You can hide various details of living relatives, add pictures, chose a back group and much more. If you chose to upgrade and pay for one of their other packages you basically get extra memory space and no adverts. Like Lyn I would be happy for you to have a look at my page.

Dawn

Dawn Report 22 May 2005 15:49

I've recently put my tree on there and think it's great. You only have to pay if you want to upgrade from the freewebspace that you get once you've subscribed. Go on give it ago. Dawn

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 22 May 2005 15:53

Lyn, Lunar, thank you so much. What generous ladies you both are. Please may I take up the offers. My son keeps downloading stuff when I am at work. He has messed the computer up once (had to reload Windows, it's never been quite the same since) and I live in fear that he will do worse harm one day, despite the fact that I have a whole raft of virus screens and firewalls set up. (I don't think he has twigged yet that I have banned all cookies except from sites of my choosing!). When he was younger he was banned from downloading anything unless I was there to oversee it, but he's bigger than I am now!

Rachel

Rachel Report 22 May 2005 16:00

Tina, Have sent a personal message

Peter

Peter Report 22 May 2005 16:06

Tina, As others say it is a brilliant site, cannot knock it, it is so easy you will be amazed. You can put music on it when you are a bit more advanced, and animated gifs etc. Go for it, you will not be dissapointed, if you want to look at mine just ask. Best wishes, Peter

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 May 2005 16:09

Maybe its just me but I don't find it that easy to use at all All this enter the number for the spouse and the children, find it very confusing. I uploaded my gedcom to there the other night and I now have 6905 people in my tree. My brother is on there 17 times!

Dawn

Dawn Report 22 May 2005 16:21

Tina, If you want to check out my tree on the tribal website just let me know. Dawn

Sue

Sue Report 22 May 2005 17:07

Tina You're welcome to look at my tree on there. Just send me a message and I'll send you my user name. I found it really easy to use, once I'd got the hang of adding photos. You'll see some of them are a bit skew wiff! (sp?) You have reminded me - I haven't added anyone recently, I have lots more to add on there now. Really must get round to it LOL Sue xx

Lynne

Lynne Report 22 May 2005 17:11

Tina I have sent you my user name and password. Lou I don't add names, I just upload my gedcom. So much easier. Lyn

Joe ex Bexleyheath

Joe ex Bexleyheath Report 22 May 2005 17:21

Tina, Now you have seen a variety of trees on there, apparently, may I suggest that you input people as follows. Basically it is logic. For parents and children you have pull-down menus which list all the possible names that could be parents and children. So, start a line of your family as far back as possible. Boy meets gal, boy marries gal. So input either the male or the female the first person you enter cannot marry cos there is nobody else entered. Nor can he/she have parents cos you havent invented them yet. Now enter the spouse of the person entered and when it comes to Enter the name of Spouse Pull down and you will see the name of the first person you entered. That link between the two is automatically set against the first person. Then the children arrive and from the pull-down you have the mother and father already entered .... and so it goes on. Later you should find the parents of the first entered and then you can EDIT the first person entered. Hope this all makes sense Bit confusing maybe. IF you start at NOW and work backwards you will find that you will be editing forever !

Julia

Julia Report 22 May 2005 17:36

Is there a web address for Tribal Pages?

Rachel

Rachel Report 22 May 2005 17:37

http://www.tribalpages(.)com/ remove brakets

Julia

Julia Report 22 May 2005 17:46

thanks Lunar, I'll take a tour!

Hazel

Hazel Report 22 May 2005 18:01

Hello! Does anybody know if the editing function includes being able to change a Mother (after finding some children were of a second wife) when there are already grandchildren entered? I would like to upload my GedCom but my Family Tree 4 has this glitch that I cannot put right, just like my Tree on here! Hazel

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 22 May 2005 19:02

Thank you so much to everyone who has responded to my query. I have had a prowl around other trees offered to me (for which many thanks for all your generosity) and am quite impressed. I think that I shall put my tree on Tribal Pages, initially as a backup. I particularly want to be able to back up the photos, as if my house burns down and I lose both computer and photo album, I can never recover them. The information could be reconstituted (if I lived that long!), but the photos are irreplaceable and I would be distressed beyond words to lose them. I already have my tree on Legacy at home, so shall upload it as a Gedcom. I presume I can just start again with a fresh Gedcom every so often on Tribal Pages (like on GR), so that I do not have to type each new piece of information in twice. Thank you all Tina

Sheleen

Sheleen Report 22 May 2005 20:13

In reference to the FREE site at tribal pages: I have my tree on there... It's pretty easy to use if you're importing a ready-made tree, however - sometimes relationships between step-families are a little unclear unless you actually click on a name to verify parentage, etc. The choice of backgrounds is pretty basic - but some nice easy-on-the-eyeballs choices are there. My kids absolutely love playing around with the 'relationship' tool - figuring out who is related to who and how. Its a good idea if your parents (for instance) want to view your progress... they can just pop over to the site and have a browse around. I can't say I've actually found anything really annoying or awful about the site as yet - here's hoping it stays that way :)