Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone used Lost Cousins?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 10 Jun 2005 17:23

Just wondering if anyone has used lost Cousins and actually found any relatives? (http://www.lostcousins(.)com) I've had a few ancesters on there for a while, but haven't found any relatives in common yet...

Helen

Helen Report 10 Jun 2005 17:29

Hi Tracey I've had some relatives on their since about April but not had any matches yet, Helen

Jane

Jane Report 10 Jun 2005 17:36

Hi , Same here, and have you had Mail re getting another e-mail account for your Partner if you have put his family on there? I'm still not sure about this. Jane

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 10 Jun 2005 17:38

Jane I've had that email surely when I got married his relatives became mine as well so I haven't taken them off. I have loads on there and haven't had one match yet. given up putting them on there.

Tracey

Tracey Report 10 Jun 2005 17:44

hmmm. Looks like no-one is getting any matches. I only just discovered that you have you go to your ancesters, and click search, to find matches. I thought matches automatically appeared. But even after doing that, I didn't have any.

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 10 Jun 2005 19:32

I have been a member for a few months but to date have not found any 'Lost Cousins'. Elizabeth

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2005 19:53

I must admit that I started to enter up my ancestors from the 1881 census, but got fed up - it's such a tedious task (unless of course anyone can tell me a quicker way of doing it). Mandy :)

Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie Report 10 Jun 2005 20:14

Hi Tracey, I too have been a member for the past few months and entered lots of names but found no 'lost cousins' as yet. It seems like a good idea but I quess there is a lot of names on the 1881 census and it will be a little like a needle in the haystack really until it becomes more popular. Still one has to try out new ideas. Anne-Marie

Countrymouse

Countrymouse Report 10 Jun 2005 21:54

No I have not found anyone either. Unlike on this site where I have had several contacts!

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 10 Jun 2005 23:42

I have had my ancestors on Lost Cousins since March and not had any matches. They have a 'buddy' system;that is , someone who will search for relatives missing from the 1881 census. The peson who 'helped' me wasn't very bright or couldn't read! They went on totally the wrong track. When this was pointed out and I asked a further question there was no reply. I wouldn't waste your time. Rosemary(Essex)

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 11 Jun 2005 00:17

I did join the site when it was free but have not had any matches. I didnt really expect to, as I know where everyone was in 1881, but I was tempted by the promise that other, earlier censuses would be included later. It all seems unnecessarily complicated to me - you have to enter the census reference number, page etc - surely that information is sufficient to get a match, in other words, if someone else has rellies on the same page as you, then surely thats a match? And I didnt know you have to go back and look for matches, maybe thats why I havent got any, LOL. I certainly wouldnt pay to go on the site. Marjorie

Bill

Bill Report 11 Jun 2005 00:44

I've got some names entered on Lost Cousins but have never had any matches. On the other hand I've have found at least some through Genes Reunited. > someone else has rellies on the same page as you, then > surely thats a match? That sort of assumption has lead me down a few 'rabbit holes' which were ultimately a waste of time. I have found a number of instances from the 1881 census where there are families with the same surname on the same page but living at different addresses, with the family lines not being directly related in any traceable way for at least the previous four or so generations. Cheers, Bill Sydney, Australia

Carrie in Godalming

Carrie in Godalming Report 11 Jun 2005 10:16

Hi, I joined lost cousins and through them I found 2 relatives. one on the Ryman side, the other on the Fricker side. just need a Virgo and a Gates now!! it is alot of hassel though. I ive up counting the amount of times I have typed all the info on various places! corrina

jw100

jw100 Report 24 Sep 2005 20:43

I've had 2 matches in the last few weeks on the Lost Cousins site. It's very good and doesn't really take that long to put the details up. If more people put their rellies from 1881 up we'd have more matches... Jane

Tracey

Tracey Report 4 Oct 2005 14:41

Yeah, they have changed the site recently, so it's quicker to add people. You still have to go back and search for matches though. I've added a few more names, but still no matches....

JG70

JG70 Report 4 Oct 2005 14:46

I use it and I've had a couple of valueable contacts. Well worth the trouble of entering the info. Jacquie

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 4 Oct 2005 19:09

Hi Tracey, It's good to know someone has found rellies on this site, sadly I'm not one of them, although there were many children in my family in 1881. Have almost given up checking and have got a few GR friends to add as well. Maybe it needs more people to add to it, I met them in London at the 1837 Fair in April. Best wishes Amanda

Debbie

Debbie Report 4 Oct 2005 20:41

Hi I put in quite a few now, and have come up with one match that was really helpful - we both managed to help each other. She wasn't on GR, so I wouldn't have made contact any other way. Plus putting in the details isn't so much of a pain - you can just reproduce an existing family memebr and then change the name and age. Deb

Kaz

Kaz Report 4 Oct 2005 20:56

I added 120 rellies in January 2005, took me ages!! To date not one single match!