Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry problems!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maud

Maud Report 17 Jun 2005 10:20

Just ketting off some stem, and also hoping someone may have the answer?? I have spent almost all day yesterday trying to access the records on Ancestery, of which I am a member, for some unknown reason I coiukd not gain access, tried all the advised methods to 'get in' my user name etc all rejected, have tried sending an email but don`t know it the address is correct or if it has gone through, no response has yet arrived, I have pleased for help, but feel I am talking to a brick wall!! Does anyone else have these problems, and if so, what did you do to resolve it? I`m now at wits end, and cannot stand any more, it does not help if you are like myself, elderly and also a bit computer ignorant, I try hard, but it is so difficult to understand the technical talk, especially if it is assumed you know what is being talked about!! There, that feels better having got that off my chest, sorry if I have bored anyone, but have no one else to turn to, to help me out with this dilemma, I felt a right idiot!! Anyway, if anyone knows how to contact Ancestrey without having to go through all the silly lists and questions, esecially if none of the questions are of any good, I just want a straight answer to a strauight question, its like these phone calls where you never speak to a human, just a voice yammering on saying press this button or that, oh I could scream sometimes!!

HeatherinLeicestershire

HeatherinLeicestershire Report 17 Jun 2005 10:32

Maud, Just a thought you didn't have your 'caps lock' on when entering your password, I do it all the time. Heather

Ann

Ann Report 17 Jun 2005 10:38

OH .Heather could be right.....it happens to me as well. Ann x

JillGr

JillGr Report 17 Jun 2005 10:39

Maud, This may sound silly but I thought I had a similar problem a little while ago. It turned out that I was trying to log into their main (USA) site and not Ancestry UK. Jill

Ann

Ann Report 17 Jun 2005 10:45

It wont let me put the address in my message, sorry

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 17 Jun 2005 10:59

I had problems a little while ago too - it said I was a 'guest' and not a full member! I signed up last year and it takes a quarterly payment everytime I'm up for renewal - it appears that this time it didn't? I renewed my membership and have got to check my card to make sure they haven't taken two lots of payment. I also emailed Ancestry on behalf of someone else earlier in the year as she was having the same problem as you - eventually they got in touch with her and sorted the problem out. My advice is to keep on pestering them - there is a link on the site to contact them, use this to tell them what's going on. If you keep on at them and maybe get other people to pester them as well then they will eventually get back to you! Ancestry seems to be plagued with problems - but we all put up with it I suppose because it's such a useful site. Good luck K x

Maud

Maud Report 17 Jun 2005 11:39

Thanks guys for your replies, I`m still trying. Mst have grown a few more white hairs by now!! Kaye, I am getting the same response, keeps telling me I am a 'guest' but I cannot seem to get through to ANYONE, Ive just sent off an email appeal to myfamily@reply.,y family etc the answer I got was, telling me 'You`re amost done' to change e mail click here blah blah, ok they have recxognised my new email address, but i still cennot get access to records!! I`ve just sent yet another e mail, they also gave me a POSTAL address for Ancestrey UK, in USA but I`ve told them I want a reply TODAY and I want an email number, so I`m now waiting for a replt that. Its so frustrating, at least its a comfort to know that I`m not the only one experience these difficulties, its so maddening when you pay for something and get nothing!! I pay by direct debit, so there is no problem there, have gone smoothly for three years now, until yesterday Anyway, I`ll keep on bashing away at them in the hope that something can be achieved, and I`m going to ask for a refund to be credited to my account for every day I c annot get access, its so maddening!! Thanks for your support, it is appreciated

Ann

Ann Report 17 Jun 2005 13:43

Hi Maud I have e-mailed you direct with alternative ways to try + get in! Keep at em! Ann x

Debbie

Debbie Report 17 Jun 2005 14:02

Hi Maud, I along with a few others on here have had problems getting into our account, this is what we did.. Give them a call, yes I know its in the USA but your not on the phone for more than 2 or 3 mins and they can reset it while talking to you, they told me it does happen for no reason somethimes. They are so helpful and friendly too. You will find the number on the page. Good luck Debs x

Carol

Carol Report 17 Jun 2005 14:05

Maud, If it is a password problem, then click on the forgotten password button. You will receive an email giving you a temporary link allowing you access. When it runs out, just do the same again.

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 17 Jun 2005 14:27

Jill I subscribe to the US one but can use my password to get into either them or the UK one it makes no difference

Maud

Maud Report 17 Jun 2005 14:34

Thanks for all the suggestions, seems I have tried everything but nothing has worked, I will as suggested telephone them and see what happens, I have had an e mail but still no help. Gosh you are lucky getting into both UK & USA I`ve tried that sometimes, but no luck!! Jackie, can sympathise with you about Norton, I too had that problem, and when subs ran out because I had troubl renewing, I got a virus in the computer, cost me £80 to have put right, so it is a roblem with these renewable things, I just hope it does not happen next year, if so I`ll go straight onto a rival company and sod them!

Debbie

Debbie Report 17 Jun 2005 14:40

Maud if you have trouble getting the number let me know, I too sent them email after email but nothing apart from the phone call got me up and running again. Debs x Let us know how you get on.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Jun 2005 14:51

Hi Maud We had this problem last week. All we did in the end was to change the password and we were back in! No idea why, but it worked! Good luck Bev

Maud

Maud Report 17 Jun 2005 15:29

Have just tried phoning Ancestry, what a problem that was!! all I got was a list of press this press that, but when I did got nowhere!! first of all was asked to insert variuous etters, our phone does not have letters, only numbers, so that was out. Tried again, voice said if I hold on I would then be contacted by a receptionist, ok held on, then all I got was a voice saying 'the other person has cleared' !! o phoning was a dead loss also!! Perhaps the number they are displaying is nw obsolete? the number I got was (code 001) 801 705 7000, correct name given on the answer, but as mentioned, got nowehere. Did you use the above number Debbie? and if so, did you get a human voice? As for the suggestion asking for new password, I`ve been tyring to do that since yesterday, will not work, I still cannot 'get in' just keep being told I am a registered guest, but will need to subscribe excuse me whilst I SCREAM GGGRRRR

Debbie

Debbie Report 17 Jun 2005 15:31

Maud, Let me check it out for you. Debs x I did have to press a button but I pressed any I think and got a live advisor within seconds.

Debbie

Debbie Report 17 Jun 2005 15:34

Maud, Call this number 001 801 705 7620. Just checked my inbox and this is the number I have suggested the others call and they also said it was only a minute or 2.. Good luck Debs x

Maud

Maud Report 17 Jun 2005 16:20

Hi Guys Thanks Debbie, used the phone number you gave, thanks be, I talked to a very nice man, & now IN AT LAST whoopee hope I don`t go through that again Thanks a lot for your help, bless you Maud