Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alice Nutter----WITCH

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jun 2005 11:10

I have googled various web-sites to try and find out about the descendants of Alice Nutter. She was hung at Lancaster in 1612, doesn't give her age. I have found mention of a daughter Alizon Device and grandson Jem. Does anyone know of a good website that I have missed that could give me more info on the family of Alice. I think I read somewhere that she killed her husband!!! and she may be related to me!!!! as I have a connection with the Nutters of Roughlee where she lived. Gloria

Joan

Joan Report 26 Jun 2005 11:26

Morning Gloria, I have a book The Lancashire Witches by Harrison Ainsworth. It is a novel but skimming through might give you some insight. Joan (5 miles from Pendle Hill)

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jun 2005 11:27

If you google Alison Device there are lots of sites. nell

Joan

Joan Report 26 Jun 2005 11:29

Another thought Gloria, try phoning the Pendle Witch pub in Sabden. The village Sabden is at the base of Pendle Hill and is quite hot on it's history, Joan

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jun 2005 11:36

hi gloria, just found on witch hunt,no more info alice nutter hanged 1612 elizabeth device 1612 james device 1612 alizon device 1612 aged 12 john bulcock 1612 jane bulcock 1612 elizabeth demdike 1612 katherine hewitt 1612 ann whittle 1612 all hanged, lancaster, must be more info out there, without streching your neck out,off for a drink after this,will have a good search after,parden the crack, tony

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jun 2005 14:12

Thank you all for replying. Anne, that looks an interesting site and will go on it now and see what I can find out. Joan, I have read the books years ago as we used to live near Pendle Hill but can't remember there ever being a reference to the families or descendants. Tony, thats all that seems to be on them, nothing relating to the relations etc. Thanks again all Gloria

Laura

Laura Report 26 Jun 2005 14:16

Hi Gloria, did you know they were on Most Haunted? Are you related? Bit scared of that answer, best be nice!!! Laura x

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jun 2005 14:35

No I didn't know they were on that. I think I am related and I am trying to prove it. Gloria x

moe

moe Report 26 Jun 2005 15:06

Oh gloria, I saw the Most Haunted Live episode about Alice Nutter and her coven and i am sure you would not admit to being related if you knew the story. they sacrificed and killed unbaptised babies, and if i remember correctly Alice had a daughter who was the most evil of the 9 of them.I am certain her name was Elizabeth. Try the most haunted website and see if there is anything on there or look out for the DVD Good Luck in your search and let us all know if you are a decendant MOE!

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jun 2005 15:10

Doesn't sound very nice does she. Perhaps I just shouldn't go down this line but it really is intriguing me. Gloria

Laura

Laura Report 26 Jun 2005 15:13

Wow Gloria, thats really exciting!!! They are very famous, that programme was the scariest one ever! Lots of the crew were made ill and it was really scary! I would strongly reccomend you watch the episode as there was lots of historical info on it. Think it was names Pendle Hill. Please let me know how you get on, I find this really interesting! Laura xx

Laura

Laura Report 26 Jun 2005 15:16

Another thought, I would get in touch with most haunted as they may be able to help, i'm sure they'd be interested xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jun 2005 15:18

Thanks Laura, will let you know how I get on. Gloria

Laura

Laura Report 26 Jun 2005 15:21

Hi, just found this, Richard is the historian from most haunted and is very good.... The Nationwide Ghost Hunting Tour by Britains Ghost Hunter General, Richard Felix visits Lancashire to report many stories of paranormal activity and supernatural sightings and occurrences. These eye witness accounts and personal experiences are related by Lancashire people who are renowned for their straight talking no nonsense approach to life. They vary from the extremes of a Phantom Tram in Blackpool to the WITCHES OF PENDLE So after watching this film you will be aware of the many strange things happening while you go about your daily routines in this busy part of North Western England. £12.99 on DVD or VHS video. http://www(.)ghostdvds(.)co(.)uk/searchresults(.)asp?keyword=lancashire

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jun 2005 15:32

Thanks for that Laura. Gloria x

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 26 Jun 2005 15:34

but other people say Alice Nutter of Roughlee was a landowner who was fitted up for witchcraft because she'd won a legal dispute with the magistrate over the boundary of their properties. Somewhere down the line she seems to have got mixed up with Old Mother Demdike. Going to be hard separating fact from fiction on this one. The names are the first things to get muddled, so anything you hear about the Nutters might really be about somebody else

Maggie

Maggie Report 26 Jun 2005 15:45

Today my son lent me a book of photographs all set in Lancashire where we live. This is part of the description attached to the picture of Roughlee Hall where Alice Nutter lived: ' The Old Hall was once the home of Alice Nutter hanged as one of the Pendle Witches. Unlike Demdike and Chattox, who were hags from feuding families, she was a highly respected Roman Catholic lady, and probably only kept quite to protect fellow worshippers at then illegal Catholic services' Not much help in your search but at least she may have not been as evil as we think. Good luch with your search and may I thank all those people who have put some extremely useful tips on this board. THANK YOU Margaret from Burnley

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jun 2005 15:49

Robin, I think she claimed that someone elses daughter was her own, and that seemed to have been accepted if you believe what you read. Any way like you say it probably is a bit of fact and fiction. I don't think I will ever get right to the bottom of it but will enjoy trying. Gloria

Joan

Joan Report 26 Jun 2005 17:01

Carrying on from Oliver Cromwell, I believe that O C stayed at Gisburne Park when on his travels. No room at the coven apparently. Spooky stuff Gloria, let us know how you get on. Joan

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jun 2005 17:43

Anne, Theres only one way to answer this WOW, so much info to go over And Oliver Cromwell Thanks everyone I will keep you informed if I find a definite connection, Gloria