Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find how many people are in someone's tre

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 8 Jul 2005 22:15

I know that if I click on a name in the message board list it will show me (amongst other things) how many people that person has in their tree. However it doesn't seem to work with names elsewhere ie, not on message boards. Is there a way? Anne

Thelma

Thelma Report 8 Jul 2005 22:46

It can be done. If you click 'send a message' you should get their membership number. Now click on any name on message boards. Now substitute the number in the address bar with the one you are interested in and press go. This sounds gobbledegook!!!

Merry

Merry Report 8 Jul 2005 23:03

...and if you are dim like myself, the address bar is the one with the website address in it....http://www. etc !! I thought it was the place my local pub is situated, but hubby put me straight! Just delete the old membership number off the end and substitute the one you want to know about! Sarah

Anne

Anne Report 8 Jul 2005 23:04

Thanks very much Jim - I managed it!! LOL, Sarah - so much to learn! Anne

Louise

Louise Report 9 Jul 2005 01:19

Thank you Jim and Sarah, I had no idea you could do that. I have managed to find out when someone I contacted (who hasn't replied!) joined, which helps a lot as I now know he joined fairly recently and has just a few members in his tree (so maybe it was a flash in the pan idea!). Louise

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Jul 2005 19:33

I have just used this method to find out more about a member who keeps 'reloading' the same people listed on my name summary over and over each month. He has over 6,000 names in his tree!!

Sam

Sam Report 11 Jul 2005 19:38

I would LOVE to know how someone gets 6,000 names in their tree. I mean names that are actually relatives - even I could add 5500 made up ones! Sam x

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Jul 2005 22:52

None of the names under the summary match mine, but I am tempted to contact him just to find out how he managed to get so many. I have never seen him on the boards requesting/offering help. Maybe he can give us some tips.

Anne

Anne Report 12 Jul 2005 17:35

Funnily enough I did contact someone recently who had over 5000 names on here. She has many more on her database because she goes down many 'connections by marriage'. Because she had so many names I had thought it might be a bit of 'train spotting' and I nearly didn't contact her when I saw she had added my great grandfather. This is really a message to say ALWAYS try a contact. This one is an absolute mine of information. She sent me copies of letters written in 1843 by my great grandfather's first wife before she died in childbirth. GOLDUST! Anne If you read this you know who you are - don't want to identify you!

Half

Half Report 7 Aug 2005 21:20

You are all making me feel very inadequate with 297 names in my tree lol but at least I know they are genuine.

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 7 Sep 2005 17:37

yes managed to do it i have got some on my line who keeps reloading his names on each month he has got a staggering 12,000+ names !!!! Jeanette

KiwiChris

KiwiChris Report 13 Oct 2005 22:34

When people continually update their tree, I have one person with one of my names who seems to update at least monthly, does Genes recognise this or do they get added again to the 40something million names on the site? If they do, then I wonder what the number of names on here really is. Christine in NZ

Janet

Janet Report 16 Oct 2005 10:30

Please NEVER assume that those members who only have 150 or so names on their trees, are just 'Flash in the Pan' or inexperienced genealogists. Many genealogists who have been reseraching for many years do NOT put complete trees on this site, and that includes myself. I search the site for names I am interested in for further research and in so doing have come across people that I know have been researching for many years as I have been in touch with them through other societies and some of these have only a few names on here. Janet

Anne

Anne Report 16 Oct 2005 12:08

On the contrary, Janet. If I look to see how many there are in a tree its not to assume that those with thousands are 'better'!! I tend to think those with about 100 to 300 have taken care over their research. However, see my message above about the wonderful person who sent me some super documents! I nearly didn't bother sending her an original message because she had so many in her tree that I didn't think she could be 'doing it properly'! I suppose it goes to show, as usual, that there all sorts of people doing genealogy and all with varying amounts of time/dedication/luck etc! Anne

Jude

Jude Report 25 Oct 2005 14:35

As someone who has been accused, baselessly, of having 'trash' in my tree, because I tend to give free access to it without 'judging' a contact on little or no evidence, this thread resonates greatly with me. J.

Thelma

Thelma Report 28 Oct 2005 14:53

nudge for Margaret

Louise

Louise Report 29 Dec 2005 11:19

nudge

Anne

Anne Report 24 May 2006 18:36

Nudge

Bacardi

Bacardi Report 24 May 2006 18:45

Anne Thanks for nudging for me - it worked a treat:-) Bev X