Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help! I'm confused....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tillot

Tillot Report 10 Jul 2005 22:22

See below

Tillot

Tillot Report 10 Jul 2005 22:24

I've found a death of a possible relative, who died aged 0yrs in 1940. Her death was registered in the Newcastle Under Lyme district. What I can't understand though, I can't find her birth registered at all? HELP!!!! Am I losing the plot? Many Thanks Helen

Merry

Merry Report 10 Jul 2005 22:33

Well............!! Could she have been born with mother's maiden surname and then mum and dad married after she was born, so when she died they registered the death with the new surname.....? or..... Could they have changed her first names after her birth was registered (''I can't imagine why you chose Esmerelda'') and so she died with the new names? or maybe the birth reg just didn't make it to the GRO indexes? Sarah

Heather

Heather Report 10 Jul 2005 22:34

Could it be a still birth?

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jul 2005 22:35

I had exactly the same, I think a baby had to be breathing to be registerd later for death , but cant make out if they still needed to reg birth.

Tillot

Tillot Report 10 Jul 2005 22:36

Thanks for the ideas. Still confused though!

Kate

Kate Report 10 Jul 2005 22:37

How many quarters have you searched for her birth? Don't forget that if she was 0 years old she could have died a day before she would have been 1. Kate.

Anne

Anne Report 10 Jul 2005 22:37

Was she just registered as 'female' and they gave her a name before she died? Anne

Tillot

Tillot Report 10 Jul 2005 22:44

Hi, I've searched for the birth for all quarters 1939 and 1940. Nothing found for just 'female' either. I'm stumped!

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jul 2005 22:47

It won't be a stillbirth as they were on a separate closed register. Have you found no child with the right surname, or just discounted those that appear to be registered in the wrong district? Could you get the relevant register office to check? As it was in wartime maybe the records got destroyed, or perhaps in the chaos, especially if she died quite soon after birth, they never got round to registering the birth? nell

Tillot

Tillot Report 10 Jul 2005 22:53

I was hoping to find the birth, to confirm the mother's maiden name to check whether she is mine or not. I think I will have to order the death cert and take a chance. I can't find any births registered with the name at death or as just a 'female' if that makes sense! I've also looked at all districts. The death is registered at Newcastle Under Lyme, lots seem to be, but I suppose that's because that's where the hospital is. I was hoping to find the birth registered in Cheadle (if she's mine) or Newcastle I suppose as she could have been born in hospital. It's still bugging me why I can't find the birth! Re getting the death cert though, I've just thought, it may not tell me a parents name if she died in hospital?

Merry

Merry Report 10 Jul 2005 22:57

My hubby's brother died at 8 hours of age in 1940 in hospital. Death was registered by the father, so I would take a chance!! Good Luck Sarah

Tillot

Tillot Report 10 Jul 2005 22:58

I think I'll have to Sarah! Thanks

Kate

Kate Report 10 Jul 2005 22:59

I'm pretty sure it will tell you at least one parent's name under 'Occupation' - it should say 'daughter of...' and then the father's name (or the mother's if the mother wasn't married to the father). Kate.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 10 Jul 2005 23:33

Hi Have you looked on http://www.staffordshirebmd.org.uk/ ? This is from the Births coverage page... Sub-District / Years Operative / Registers At / Code / Years Indexed Newcastle-Under-Lyme 1837 - date Newcastle-Under-Lyme NUL 1837 - 1888 & 1893 - 1902 Newcastle-Under-Lyme Borough 1937 - 1974 Newcastle-Under-Lyme NCB 1937 - 1952 Newcastle-Under-Lyme Rural 1937 - 1974 Newcastle-Under-Lyme NCR 1937 - 1952 Newcastle-Under-Lyme Urban 1937 - 1974 Newcastle-Under-Lyme NCU none Christine

Tillot

Tillot Report 10 Jul 2005 23:42

Yes Christine, I've looked on the Staffs BMD site (it's my favourite!) No luck, can only find the death registered. Oh well, off to bed, tomorrows another day! Thanks to everyone for your ideas etc

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Jul 2005 08:50

I don't know when in 1940 the death registration was, but if the child was born late in the year, the birth registration might be in March Q. 1941. Is she likely to have been baptised, could you find a record?

Kate

Kate Report 11 Jul 2005 09:15

The only other thing I can think of is that she could have been born in another country. Kate.

Susan

Susan Report 11 Jul 2005 20:54

Hi Helen, Try web site www.paul_smith.doctors.org.uk/ArchaicMedicalTerms.htm Its great for explaining causes of death. If you go to UK Certificates is has an explanation as to why some births were not registered. Regards Susan