Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Name Summary - Hot Matches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 15 Jul 2005 09:25

Has anyone seen the NEW Names Summary. It now has hot matches and allows you to see the surnames added in the last day, rather than having to change how many days you want to view like it did before. It is getting better. Although the hot matches, doesn't match place of birth. As it hot matched one of my ancestors born in Edinburgh to someone born in Bedfordshire and someone born in London to someone born in Jamaica.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 15 Jul 2005 09:33

The hot matches does not work. As I know I have an exact match to someone on this site and it didn't match them. How disappointing.

Hannah

Hannah Report 15 Jul 2005 09:33

I dislike what genes has done to the name summary I now have 12 pages to go through instead of four and it takes forever

Kate

Kate Report 15 Jul 2005 09:38

Thanks for the tip Siobhan; I am about to have a look. Funnily enough, when I filled in GR's survey a couple of weeks ago I suggested an improved automatic matching of names with those matching on, say, first name and year or place of birth being flagged up, so it sounds as though they may have been thinking the same way! Anyway, I'll have a look and see if it lives up to my expectations... Kate.

Kate

Kate Report 15 Jul 2005 09:54

Have had a look - and it is a nice idea but would take hours to look through them all. I would prefer it if it was more flexible. Still, maybe if I have nothing to do one day I will look through them! Kate.

Merry

Merry Report 15 Jul 2005 09:58

Well, I clicked Names Summary and then went and wrote three long emails whilst the page popped up. I see I have 17 pages of names summaries to look at. Hubby and I both have my dad on our trees on GR so I asked for exact matches on his surname. (only took me about 5 minutes to find his surname on the list lol). Yes, the exact match thingy did show that we both have a man with the same details on our trees. But that was a known one that I was using to check. The system is Sooooo slow I can't see myself using this (and certainly not to just browse around). Sarah

Angela

Angela Report 15 Jul 2005 11:10

Not too sure about this wonderful 'new feature'. It seems to give a 'Hot Match' to anyone with the same name born 5 years either side of your own rellie, wherever they were from. If you have someone with a common name you will get hundreds of them. Is it supposed to be a match just for names added in the last few days, or for names added at any time? Can it be switched off?

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 15 Jul 2005 11:25

where is the message boards that used to show up next to the names on name summary gone? Jeanette

Angela

Angela Report 15 Jul 2005 11:26

Good point, Jeanette. They were far more useful!!

Joy

Joy Report 15 Jul 2005 11:43

rubbish! oops, sorry! :-) Joy

Lyn *in Gorleston*

Lyn *in Gorleston* Report 15 Jul 2005 11:47

SORRY BUT I AGREE WITH JOY..... WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS NEW THING WHEN ALL THEY GO ON IS THE YEAR OF BIRTH (+/_5) AND NOT THE PLACE OF BIRTH. LYN.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 15 Jul 2005 12:36

I have not one single hot match according to the list, but I know I do!!!! :-(

Joy

Joy Report 15 Jul 2005 12:37

me, too, Sylvia - that's why I put rubbish!! Joy

Angela

Angela Report 15 Jul 2005 12:41

If these so-called wonderful matches are going to accumulate from now on, you could end up with thousands of them. There is no way that I would bother to trawl through them all to see if any of them were new.

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 15 Jul 2005 13:38

This morning when I saw 'hot matches' I got excited until I found the matches where only through dates/years of birth and not place of birth, sorry I am not very impressed with its usefullness. As said above you now have to trail though pages of another 100 names, not making this site any easier at all. Elizabeth

Anne

Anne Report 15 Jul 2005 14:01

I don't get any hot matches even though I know there are quite a lot of entries for the same people. How come some of you get them? Mind you it sounds as if they're not that useful. And still so SLOW!! Anne

Lynne

Lynne Report 15 Jul 2005 14:30

Well I must be doing something wrong! I have just had a look and I can't see anything that says HOT MATCHES!! Also, the YOUR NAMES and NAME SUMMARY appear to be exactly the same! Lynne

Merry

Merry Report 15 Jul 2005 16:50

My hot match seems to have been dunked in a glass of water! Sarah

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 15 Jul 2005 21:22

Looks like Genes Reunited have taken off the Hot Matches again. I am not surprised cos it is Rubbish. I mean how can you possible have a hot match by just the year of birth with 5 years either side. One could be born in New Zealand the other in Mars, but it would still hot match them if they were born about the same time. Also I know there are names on here that are exact matches to names in my tree and it didn't match them. I did request a smart match thing off genes reunited. But this was not what I had in mind at all. It is completely useless. Which is probaby why they have taken it off.