Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another pair of eyes please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jul 2005 13:26

Could somebody please give me their opinion of what this occupation reads please. It's the 1861 for England RG9/3585 Folio 12, Page 18. The person I am looking at is David Baker down at the bottom. Thanks. Jeanette x

Sarah

Sarah Report 18 Jul 2005 13:34

Mmmmmmmm possibly labourer doesn't look quite right but the occupation of the person above is Landowner and the two 'L's' are written the same way Sarah

Terry

Terry Report 18 Jul 2005 13:36

Looks like fruiterer to me. Regards - Terry

Merry

Merry Report 18 Jul 2005 13:37

But the person above is Fundholder not Landowner!! Sarah

Terry

Terry Report 18 Jul 2005 13:37

The guy above is fundholder Regards - Terry

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jul 2005 13:37

Hi Sarah I toyed with labourer for a while thinking exactly the same way you did. But now I think the one above says fundholder so God alone knows what the other says! lol. Fruitier?

Sarah

Sarah Report 18 Jul 2005 13:39

Fundholder - I can see it now lol Sarah

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jul 2005 13:40

Aaaaahhhhhh fruiterer! so would this be someone who sells fruit? How closely associated would the occupations of fruiterer and poulterer be, if at all? I'm desparately trying to tie this in whith his father's occupation! lol

Merry

Merry Report 18 Jul 2005 13:41

I'd go with fruiterer! Is he on the next census?? Sarah

Anna

Anna Report 18 Jul 2005 13:41

I think its Fruiterer Anna :-)

Merry

Merry Report 18 Jul 2005 13:42

His fruit must have fermented, as he's a brewer in 1871 lol Sarah

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jul 2005 13:43

LOL Sarah! I hadn't got that far. Going for a look now

Angie

Angie Report 18 Jul 2005 13:44

I think it looks like: fundouer It looks so much like name above apart from last few letters Angie x

Terry

Terry Report 18 Jul 2005 13:46

Fruiterer and poulterer would go together, as we had shops when I was a lad with greengocery on one side and fish/foul on the other side. If he has an older son, look in later census' to see what the son does. Regards - Terry

Andrea

Andrea Report 18 Jul 2005 13:48

Hi It looks like Fruiterer to me too. The GenDocs website is quite good for looking up old occupations. Fruiterer is listed. Regards Andrea

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jul 2005 13:50

Thanks Terry. Interesting bit of info that. It could also fit with the change of occupation for David by 1871 as his father had died

Merry

Merry Report 18 Jul 2005 13:55

David didn't like brewing either: 1881 David BAKER Head M Male 48 Wigtoft, Lincoln, England Genl Laborr Dischg Ships Mary B. BAKER Wife M Female 45 Newcastle On Tyne, Northumberland, England Walter BAKER Son U Male 18 Hull, York, England Fisherman Ordinary Hannah B. BAKER Daur U Female 16 Hull, York, England Herbert BAKER Son U Male 14 Hull, York, England Crane Boy Hydraulic Robert J. BAKER Son U Male 12 Hull, York, England Scholar Tom. BAKER Son U Male 10 Hull, York, England Scholar Minnie BAKER Daur U Female 6 Hull, York, England Scholar William FORD Boarder U Male 24 Wigham, Kent, England Fisherman Mate 44 Walcott St Kingston-upon-Hull, York, England Film 1342154 RG11 Piece / Folio 4777 / 88 Page Number 35 Sarah

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jul 2005 14:01

Thanks Sarah It was probably a safer bet working on the busy docks with a regular income when you've got all those mouths to feed!