Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

is there any other way of finding parents?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mandy

Mandy Report 20 Jul 2005 08:12

after a long complicated search, and a lot of help from the kind folks on here, I have been able to trace my great great grandmother (Heva Hazledine Hughes) back to the 1861 census. On the 1871 census she is living with her ?sister Mary Ann Hughes and their Aunt, Eleanor Waldron. IN 1861 she is living with her Grand parents Thomas and Mary A Hughes, along with her Aunt and sister. She is on this census as Hena HH Hughes. She was born around 1854 and there seem to be several 'spellings' of her name throughout the years - Eva, Kerza, Hena, Heva! I don't seem able to find her birth and therefore can't find her parents. Is there any other way of finding them without a birth cert? I am guessing they died, but could anything else have happend to them? I am not sure whether Mary Ann is her sister or maybe her cousin. I have found her birth, shall I take the risk and send for her birth cert? (funds very limited, trying not to waste it, but might have to!) Thanks for looking!

Irene

Irene Report 20 Jul 2005 08:20

I would order the certificate if it is near a census date then you can check the address on the birth certificate which may give you the lead you need. You can also check the marriage of the 2 people that will be mentioned as parents. Good Luck Irene

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jul 2005 08:21

Where did they live--county? how about these in the meantime Individual Record FamilySearch™ Ancestral File v4.19 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Mary A. HUGHES (AFN: 1JXD-CSJ) Pedigree Sex: F Family -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: 1858/1859 Birmingham, St. George Dist., Warwickshire, Eng. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: Thomas John HUGHES (AFN: 1JXD-KNQ) Family Mother: Sarah Caroline WILLIAMS (AFN: 1JXD-KK4) Gloria

Mandy

Mandy Report 20 Jul 2005 08:25

That's fab! You guys are ace. Thanks so much XXX

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jul 2005 08:35

May not have been right, as this is the whole family and no sign of Heva, Family Group Record FamilySearch™ Ancestral File v4.19 Download GEDCOM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Husband's Name Thomas John HUGHES (AFN:1JXD-KNQ) Pedigree Born: 1830/1831 Place: Montgomery, , , Wales Died: Bef 1891 Place: Married: 27 Apr 1856 Place: Birmingham, St. Martin Psh., Warwick, England Father: Richard HUGHES (AFN:1JXD-KLB) Family Mother: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Wife's Name Sarah Caroline WILLIAMS (AFN:1JXD-KK4) Pedigree Born: Abt 1836 Place: Birmingham, , , England Married: 27 Apr 1856 Place: Birmingham, St. Martin Psh., Warwick, England Father: Edward WILLIAMS (AFN:1JXD-KHP) Family Mother: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Children -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1. Sex Name M James HUGHES (AFN:1JXD-CVX) Pedigree Born: Abt 1867 Place: Birmingham, , , England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2. Sex Name M Edward HUGHES (AFN:1JXD-CW5) Pedigree Born: Abt 1868 Place: Birmingham, , , England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 3. Sex Name M Ezra HUGHES (AFN:1JXD-CXC) Pedigree Born: Abt 1873 Place: Birmingham, , , England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 4. Sex Name M William HUGHES (AFN:1JXD-CZK) Pedigree Born: Abt 1876 Place: Birmingham, , , England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 5. Sex Name F Matilda HUGHES (AFN:1JXD-CRB) Pedigree Born: 1853/1854 Place: Birmingham, St. George Dist., Warwickshire, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 6. Sex Name F Mary A. HUGHES (AFN:1JXD-CSJ) Pedigree Born: 1858/1859 Place: Birmingham, St. George Dist., Warwickshire, Eng. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 7. Sex Name F Sarah HUGHES (AFN:1JXD-CTQ) Pedigree Born: Feb 1861 Place: Birmingham, St. George Dist., Warwickshire, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 8. Sex Name M John Elias HUGHES (AFN:1JXC-5ZD) Pedigree Born: 4 Jun 1863 Place: Birmingham, St. George, Warwickshire, England Christened: 1870 Place: Died: 14 Jun 1938 Place: Birmingham, , , England Buried: Place: Lodge Hill Cemet, Harbourne, Warwickshire, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © 1999-2002 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. English approval: 3/1999 Use of this site constitutes your acceptance of these Conditions of Use (last updated: 3/22/1999). Privacy Policy (last updated: 11/24/2004). 30 http://www.familysearch.org v.2.5.0 Good luck Gloria

Mandy

Mandy Report 20 Jul 2005 08:40

mmmm, yes I think you are right Gloria. I just checked the same detail, and no sign of Heva. Thanks anyway. What's GEDCOM (sorry for the ignorance, but still a relative newbie!)

Mandy

Mandy Report 20 Jul 2005 08:43

forgot to say, in 1861 they were living in Birmingham. But Thomas (Heva's grandfather) was born in Dilwyn, herefordshire.

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jul 2005 08:44

Don't know, have seen it often, but like you I am quite new to this. Gloria x

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jul 2005 08:48

Got to go out now but if no one has come up with anything I will have another go this afternoon. Gloria

Crista

Crista Report 20 Jul 2005 08:56

Mandy, Where have you looked for the birth? FreeBMD isn't complete for 1853/1854 so you will need to use 1837online. Crista

Mandy

Mandy Report 20 Jul 2005 09:21

thanks Gloria I didn't realise that, Crista, many thanks!

Crista

Crista Report 20 Jul 2005 09:22

Mandy, Heva's marriage is listed on FreeBMD. That cert will list her father. Crista

Mandy

Mandy Report 20 Jul 2005 09:39

of course! Sometimes I am so dumb! thanks Crista

Joan

Joan Report 20 Jul 2005 09:42

Don't know if this helps....are these her grandparents in the Birmingham 1851 census? Joan Head: HUGHES, Thomas Neighbors 272917 Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace Thomas HUGHES Head M 56 M Pork Butcher Dilvin-HEF Mary Ann HUGHES Wife M 46 F --- Rudgby-WAR William HUGHES Son U 26 M Assistant Birmingham-WAR Maria HUGHES Daur U 21 F --- Birmingham-WAR Eleanor WALDRON SisL U 52 F Housekeeper Rudgby-WAR Charles WARNER Serv U 22 M Assistant Solihull-WAR Thomas BRYAN Appr U 19 M App Kidderminster-WOR Edward BRIGGS Labr U 19 M Butchers Lab Minworth-WAR William CROP Appr U 15 M App Tamworth-WAR Ann BOYES Serv U 15 F General Serv Birmingham-WAR Address: 133 Gt Hampton St, Birmingham Census Place: Birmingham Birmingham, Warwickshire PRO Reference: HO/107/2059 Folio: 5 Page: 2 FHL Film: 0332122

Mandy

Mandy Report 20 Jul 2005 09:46

OMG!!! *mandy jumping round the living room in excitement!!!!* Yes, Joan, that must be them!!!! fab fab fab

Joan

Joan Report 20 Jul 2005 10:08

Probable children of Thomas and Mary Ann You searched for: Hughes, British Isles Father: Thomas Hughes, Mother: Mary Ann Exact Spelling: Off Batch Number: C041797 [refine search] Prepare selected records for download International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 6 Select records to download - (50 maximum) 1. ELEANOR HUGHES - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 23 JUN 1823 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England 2. RICHARD THOMAS HUGHES - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 30 SEP 1822 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England 3. MARY HUGHES - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 23 JUN 1823 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England 4. GEORGE FREDERICK HUGHES - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 08 JUN 1827 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England 5. ELIZA HUGHES - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 03 JUN 1828 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England 6. WILLIAM HENRY HUGHES - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 31 JAN 1825 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England prev | next Prepare selected records for download

Joan

Joan Report 20 Jul 2005 10:13

And International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 3 Select records to download - (50 maximum) 1. MARIA LOUISA HUGHES - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 25 JAN 1830 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England 2. MARY ANN HUGHES - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 27 DEC 1836 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England 3. THOMAS HUGHES - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 25 MAY 1837 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England prev | next Prepare selected records for download If you want any other 1851 Birmingham census lookups, just let me kmw what.......good hunting. Joan

Mandy

Mandy Report 20 Jul 2005 11:59

thanks Joan, you may regret that offer! LOL!