Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP - MARRIAGE CERT NO DETAILS OF FATHER

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 20 Jul 2005 13:57

I have my great grandfather's marriage certificate and the details of his father are missing. A Line has been struck right through the name and occupation of the father. I am guessing it can only mean he was adopted. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks Sandra

Carol

Carol Report 20 Jul 2005 14:05

He may have been born illegitimate

Julie

Julie Report 20 Jul 2005 14:07

Maybe he was illegitimate. Id order his birth cert to see if that states a father or not. Julie

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Jul 2005 14:08

More likely that he was illegitimate. You could look for his birth reference to see if his birth certificate also has no father given. Kath. x

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 20 Jul 2005 14:13

Hi All, Thanks for your quick responses. How do I find his birth details if I don't know where he was born or when I've only got his age on the marriage cert? He was married in Hoylake, and with a surname like Jones it's going to be a very hard task indeed. Kind Regards to all Sandra

Carol

Carol Report 20 Jul 2005 14:15

At least you know the possibility of his being illegitimate. A few of mine made up a father for their marriage certificates, which completely threw me for a while

Carol

Carol Report 20 Jul 2005 14:16

What year are we looking at Looby

Sue

Sue Report 20 Jul 2005 14:16

I have just received my Great (x4) Grandparents marriage and instead of his father's name it just has his mothers name, and then when their daughter gets married, his surname is different - I am now very confused as still no nearer trying to figure out who his parents are/were. Also have seen on another Grandparents marriage cert where both of their fathers have been listed, but I know they are not their fathers but infact individuals that their mothers married 4-8 years after they were born - all very confusing Regards Sue

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 20 Jul 2005 14:17

Looby (Sandra?), post the details, and everyone here will work some kind of magic, and hopefully he'll show up :)

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 20 Jul 2005 14:18

Hi Everyone, thanks for the help His name is William Jones, born approx 1876, or there abouts. His marriage cert is dated 1899 and his age is 23. Married in Hoylake on the Wirral. Occupation was Plate-layer. Thanks Regards Sandra

Smiley

Smiley Report 20 Jul 2005 14:26

1881 This one was born in Hoylake, but he does have a father apparently Peter Jones abt 1849 Hoylake Head Back Sea View, Hoose, Cheshire, England Mary Jane Jones abt 1852 Birkenhead Wife Back Sea View, Hoose, Cheshire, England Wilhelmena Jones abt 1874 Hoylake Daughter Back Sea View, Hoose, Cheshire, England William Jones abt 1876 Hoylake Son Back Sea View, Hoose, Cheshire, England Sarah Jones abt 1877 Hoylake Daughter Back Sea View, Hoose, Cheshire, England Do you have YOUR William in 1901 maybe? Or any other census?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Jul 2005 14:32

This is a possibility for his birth (I stress Possibility, as there is nothing to say that because he was married in Wirral, that he was born there, but the age would be right):- Birth, William Jones, June qtr. 1876, Wirral, 8a, page 481. (If this one has parents Peter and Mary Jane then it is not the right one as he is still unmarried in 1901) Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Jul 2005 14:38

The William Jones that Smiley Sammy found in 1881 is not the right one, as he is still with his family and unmarried in 1901. Kath. x

Smiley

Smiley Report 20 Jul 2005 14:40

sorry

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Jul 2005 14:41

What was your William's wife called? Perhaps we can find her in the 1901 census. Kath. x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Jul 2005 16:23

Who were the marriage witnesses? This might give a clue to grouping him with the correct JONES family. Once you find him in 1901 and find a JONES family for him to fit in to, hopefully you will have an approximate date and place of birth. Do look for a baptism as fathers were often named there but not on certificates of their illegitimate children. On one set of parish records that I looked at the vicar had named the father of every illegitimate child in his parish, ... and there were quite a few.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 20 Jul 2005 16:35

Hi All, thanks for advice. The witness's on the marriage cert are John William Carter and Emily Parr, who probably is Jane's sister. I've just found William with wife Jane in 1901 census, with children William O Jones & Constance , in Saughall Massey, Moreton, Wirral with birth address Malpas Ches. Think Ches means County of Chester, was that's what's on the marriage cert. Kind Regards Sandra

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Jul 2005 22:56

If William's age and place of birth given on the 1901 census are correct, then he should have been born between the June qtr of 1875 and the March qtr of 1876. Malpas comes under the Whitchurch registration district, which is in Cheshire. There are only two possibles in this period on 1837online:- June qtr. 1875, Whitchurch S. 6a, 783 March qtr. 1876, Whitchurch S. 6a, 803 Of course this relies on the census information being correct but it does narrow your search a bit. If you ordered the certificates you could ask if one of them had no father named, which would be more likely to be yours. Kath. x

Smiley

Smiley Report 21 Jul 2005 08:04

Hi This is a message from Irene who can no longer reply directly on the boards (her membership expired and she did not wish to renew) but Irene can still view the boards... She is trying to help from beyond :) ''Hi Smiley Can I ask another favour, I have viewed on the Tips board for a Looby Loo Cheshire, she is looking for a William Jones, in 1881 there is a William Downe (Jones) Stepson, born Malpass 3 years old. She said his fathers name was crossed out on marriage. Thought she might like to investigate that one'' Irene ________________________________________________ This is the family Irene found John Jones abt 1846 Wigland, Cheshire, England Head Windmill Street, Malpas, Cheshire, England Eliza Jones abt 1847 Edge, Cheshire, England Wife Windmill Street, Malpas, Cheshire, England *William Downe abt 1878 Malpass, Cheshire, England Step Son Windmill Street, Malpas, Cheshire, England* Elizabeth Jones abt 1880 Malpass, Cheshire, England Daughter Windmill Street, Malpas, Cheshire, England Elizabeth Edge abt 1806 Whitchurch, Shropshire, England Mother Windmill Street, Malpas, Cheshire, England Margaret Burrows abt 1834 Wigland, Cheshire, England Visitor Windmill Street, Malpas, Cheshire, England

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 21 Jul 2005 09:39

Hi Everyone, What can I say except a HUGE thank you to you all, especially, Kath, Irene & Smiley. There are some Kind & wonderfull people on this site, who go out of their way, even from 'beyond'. Thank you to all, I can't repay you enough. Take care and good hunting to you all Regards Sandra