Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canadian Military Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Aug 2005 13:36

I already had the attestation papers for my grandfather who served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force in WW1 but I just discovered that they are also available online at http://www.*collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02010602_e.html Hope this helps someone. Lyla

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 8 Aug 2005 13:52

Wouldn't it be lovely if the UK soldiers papers were available like that? Some of Canada's websites are absolutely brilliant: free and with digital images.

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Aug 2005 13:57

OMG they even have war diaries on this site! If you know the battalian your ancestor was in you can read the reports from the frontline! Excellent!

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Aug 2005 15:06

Does anyone know whether Canadian War Cards are also held online? I know that my grandfather Harry Horley was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal but he is not listed on the National Archives site. He was a British Subject but he enlisted in Ontario in 1916. Lyla

Steven

Steven Report 8 Aug 2005 15:10

Hi Lyla, What is the OMG site you mentioned above please? Regards Steve

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Aug 2005 15:16

Sorry, OMG = Oh My God! I was excited to find that the same site has diaries of the war. http://www.*collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020152_e.html

Irene

Irene Report 8 Aug 2005 18:38

My grandfather's brother was send out to Canada by Barnardos. He joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force and like you I was able to get copies of his joining up papers.(someone I contacted on the net went and copied them and put them in the post to me) I also wrote off and got copies of all the medals he was awarded and replacement were sent to me post free. He was buried in the 60's by the Legion and I was able to get his funeral details. It is amazing really that I have more information about him living abroad than I do about my British ancestors. Regards Irene

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 8 Aug 2005 20:34

Hi Lyla, My grandad served in WW1, his marriage cert in England in 1919 says he was a private in the 28th Canadian Batt. Thank you so much. Best wishes Amanda

Patricia

Patricia Report 8 Aug 2005 21:42

Thank you so much Lyla,I have just managed to get my grandfather's attestation papers on-line.I now have a lot of interesting research ahead.Anne

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Aug 2005 23:02

Hi Irene Can you remember where you wrote to get copies of your relative's war medals? My father will be 70 this year and I think he would be really thrilled if I could put something together about his dad's time in the Canadian Forces. I know he was present at the battle of Vimy Ridge and there are all kinds of interesting accounts about it on the internet. Lyla

Jenny

Jenny Report 9 Aug 2005 02:46

Thanks for the great website. I've found three of my Philbrooks served in the Canadian Expeditionary Forces two born in Surrey and one born in Warwickshire and two at least were first cousins - I only knew one had emigrated (my grandmother's brother and nephew). They give next of kin so I can track down which Philbrook families actually emigrated. Thanks so much for posting the site address. Jenny (in Canada)

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Aug 2005 21:03

I've just been looking at the VAC site and they have lots of interesting information about the Canadian Army's contribution to all wars. For example, under the features section for 2002 there is an article on the 85th anniversary of the battle of Vimy Ridge including a collection of photos from the frontline. There are also diaries of ordinary soldiers etc. Well worth having a browse. http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=history/firstwar Lyla

Dea

Dea Report 9 Aug 2005 21:07

Jenny, So nice to see you are moving forward on the Philbrooks - I did have a look when I came home but found nothing. Will speak soon. Best wishes, Dea x

Jenny

Jenny Report 10 Aug 2005 01:42

Thanks Dea Am visiting the library this Saturday!

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Nov 2005 17:49

Thought I'd nudge this for Remembrance Day.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Feb 2006 13:50

Just wanted to say that back in August I applied to the Veterans Affairs Canada for my grandfathers war medals. My dad is the oldest next of kin and he had to sign the papers. We then forgot all about it. My dad has just received a letter out of the blue to say that he can have replicas of my grandads war medals for a small fee. I suppose it could take another 6 months to get them but we really are delighted. Lyla

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 17 Feb 2006 14:21

Can I add to this one? My partner's grandfather was in the CEF - have his attestation papers etc - am seriously thinking of entrusting the Canadian Archives with my credit card number to obtain a copy of his war records. Average of betwene 25 and 75 sheets at 40 Canadian cents per sheet - plus postage. Has anyone else done this? Is it worth it? I never feel totally happy writing down my CC number details and posting it off!! Jill

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 17 Feb 2006 20:20

Hi Lyla, That's fantastic news, I'm so glad for you. My Grandad also had medals, I can remember seeing them as a child but I have no idea what they were for or what happened to them, I think I will do the same as you have as he was the most important person to me when I was young. Jill, maybe there is another way to pay for the records? Best wishes Amanda

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 17 Feb 2006 20:53

Hey Jill I'm thinking about doing the same. Since i dont have a CC/Debit card and it'll probably be my mums that i'll use, she suggested that i send it recorded delivery so at least i know that they'll get it and it wont go missing in the post. The prices dont seem that bad either for what you get. Though what i might do with my grt grt grandfathers dental records i have no idea. Mhairi

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 20 Feb 2006 12:39

Thanks you two. Think I'll send it recorded/registered - should be safe enough. Jill